Heat is the physiological response of the body, characterized by fever. This is a fever at a temperature of 37.5 °. The heat itself is a symptom, not a disease, and can be caused by many factors. What does fever have no cold symptoms in an adult?
We measure body temperature correctly
Almost always fever and its symptoms go away on their own, without requiring medical assistance. However, in some cases, contacting a specialist can not be avoided. We measure the temperature with a thermometer. The most accurate data can be obtained using a rectal thermometer, especially in young children.
It is also possible to take temperature measurements in the oral cavity, especially in older children and adults. Another relatively accurate way to measure temperature for children over two years old and adults is an ear thermometer. Measuring the temperature in the armpit is considered the least accurate method.
When does it make sense to talk about heat?
Normal body temperature is usually between 36 and 37.2 ° C. In case of infection, inflammation or disease, it may rise above a value that is considered normal. Such is the body's defensive reaction.
It makes sense to talk about fever, if the temperature is above 37.5 degrees. However, it is necessary to take into account individual fluctuations in body temperature during the day. So, in the morning, it is slightly reduced, and in the evening - increased. These changes are due to the production of cortisol, a hormone secreted especially in the early morning hours. It has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect and reduces body temperature, for example, after infection. Temperature also depends on other factors, such as physical activity, digestion, or the menstrual cycle in women.
Heat is actually a symptom, not a disease. Usually, fever is associated with other symptoms, such as muscle and headache, weakness, etc. In many cases, fever is a protective mechanism of the body that increases body temperature to prevent the growth of microbes that cause infection.
Heat without cold in adults: possible causes
Most often, a fever is caused by microbial infections. Nevertheless, the cause of the temperature of 38 ° C in an adult without cold symptoms can be poisoning with spoiled foods, poisonous mushrooms, snake venom, as well as allergies, injuries or surgeries. In addition, there are a number of serious pathologies requiring hospitalization, which are also accompanied by fever above 37 ° C without cold symptoms:
- Appendicitis. It is accompanied by acute lower abdominal pain, fever and chills, as well as other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarrhea. Such signs may indicate a serious case of an appendix that requires urgent surgical intervention.
- Pyelonephritis. A kidney disorder can lead to an accumulation of toxins in the body and poisoning.
- Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate, accompanied by difficulty urinating and sharp pains.
- Peritonitis or inflammation in the abdominal cavity, the symptoms of which are high fever, acute stomach pain, hardening, abdominal contracture.
- Inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs - bacterial infections of the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. Among the causes of this disease are abortion, venereal diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea.
- Some joint diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, cause fever, pain in the joints and swelling.
- There are several types of cancer that cause fever and chills. However, these symptoms are more common in cases of leukemia and metastatic lesions, such as liver or bone.
- Endocarditis is an inflammation of the tissues lining the inner surface of the chambers of the heart, called the endocardium. The disease may be of bacterial or rheumatic origin.
- Viral hepatitis.
Next, consider the reasons for the temperature to 38 ° C without other symptoms in an adult that can be treated at home:
- Urinary tract infections - cystitis in women, urethritis in men. Classical signs of infection: burning, frequent urination, but a small amount of urine, the presence of blood in it. In severe cases, the temperature rises to 40 ° C.
- Sunstroke. The victim complains of headaches, nausea, vomiting. The neck can be a little stiff, and in severe cases there are cramps. These symptoms are accompanied by fever, usually around 40 ° and above. In the most severe forms, sunstroke can lead to coma.
- Heat stroke is accompanied by headaches with dizziness. Due to dehydration, visual disturbances occur, the temperature rises to 40 ° C or more.
What measures should be taken to lower the temperature?
Doctors say that it is necessary to take medication only when the body temperature exceeds 38.5 ° C. Antipyretic useful to relieve fever, but not to treat its causes. Improper use of antipyretics can interfere with the treatment of the underlying disease.
Consider the most effective antipyretic drugs:
- "Paracetamol": 500 mg - adult dose.
- "Aspirin" or acetylsalicylic acid: adult dose - 500 mg. The drug is contraindicated in children.
- "Ibuprofen": dosage for adults - from 200 to 400 mg.
- at temperature, it is necessary to drink as much as possible, for example, lime tea, calendula decoction or elderberry infusion;
- reduce the heat helps bath a few degrees below body temperature for fifteen minutes;
- should refrain from smoking and not drink alcohol;
- need to be at rest and warm to reduce energy consumption.
If the cause of the disease is unknown and the fever lasts for a long period, consult a doctor. Be healthy!