Cough is a very common symptom, often banal, but still alarming, especially when it comes to children. That is why we are trying to get rid of it. And if we are talking about the treatment of cough, we immediately remember about syrups, because this medicine is most known to us. So, the syrup for children "Lasolvan": we will overcome cough together.
Since it will be a question of an over-the-counter drug that can be used for self-treatment, before giving it to a child, it is necessary to carefully read the instructions for using Lasolvan syrup for children.
The composition of the drug
Syrup is presented as a colorless solution that does not contain impurities. The basis of the drug is the active ingredient active - ambroxol hydrochloride. The drug also contains the following auxiliary components:
- preservative (E210);
- genetically modified cotton hydroxyethyl cellulose;
- molasses and glycerin.
5 ml of syrup contains:
- 1.23 g of sorbitol, which corresponds to 1.23 g of carbohydrates;
- ambroxol hydrochloride - 15 mg.
Indications for use:
- respiratory diseases of acute nature with violation of mucus secretion;
- chronic bronchitis in the acute stage;
- asthmatic bronchitis;
- bronchial asthma;
- bronchiectasis of the lungs.
How does syrup work?
Ambroxol hydrochloride stimulates airway secretion. This contributes to the production of a film of the surface substance and enhances ciliary activity. These processes facilitate the flow of mucous secretions, improving their expectoration and reducing cough. Simply put, Lasolvan is a phlegm-diluting agent with expectorant action.
- Children syrup can be taken regardless of the use of food. For convenience of dosage, a measuring cup with a volume of 2.5-5 ml is attached to the package of the medicinal product.
- During the day, children are advised to take orally active substance not more than 1.2-1.6 ml per kilogram of weight.
- Only a pediatrician with a maximum dosage of 2.5 ml twice a day can prescribe syrup for children under 2 years of age.
- The recommended dose of syrup for children 2-5 years old - up to 5 ml in the morning and evening.
- At the age of 6-11 years old, you can take up to 10 ml twice a day.
Special Dosing Instructions:
- In case of severe dysfunction of the kidneys or liver, the maintenance dose of the drug is reduced by 50%. In such pathologies, the drug can be used exclusively under medical supervision.
- To enhance the secretolytic action of the medicine, children should drink more.
- hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug;
- for symptoms of chronic diseases, the doctor must prescribe syrup;
- people with fructose intolerance syrup is contraindicated due to the content of sorbitol;
- It is necessary to avoid the simultaneous reception of antitussive drugs because of the risk of inflammatory processes.
To assess the frequency of side effects, specialists use the following gradation:
- total - less than 10%, but more than or equal to 1%;
- from time to time or occasionally - less than 1%, but more or about 0.1%;
- rarely less than 0.1%;
- for side effects that were not observed during clinical trials, but appeared spontaneously in post-marketing, the concept is little known.
- in rare cases, the appearance of a rash or urticaria;
- little known - anaphylaxis, swelling of angioedema, hypersensitivity reactions.
- common - the appearance of nausea, temporary loss of sensation of the mouth and larynx;
- occasionally - the occurrence of vomiting, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, dry mouth;
- Little known - drying out the mucous throat.
- common - a change in taste.
The drug should be used before the expiration date, which is listed on the bottle. The syrup is stored at a temperature range from 15 to 25 ° C out of the reach of children. After taking the active substance is absorbed quickly and almost completely excreted through the kidneys. Food consumption does not change its bioavailability.
There is a rather wide list of analogues of Lasolvan syrup for children. The most common among them are:
- Ambroxol - normalizes the changed bronchopulmonary secretion, dilutes the sputum, reducing its viscosity and adhesive properties, which facilitates its excretion from the respiratory tract.
- "Halixol" - has an expectorant and mucolytic action, stimulates the protective mechanisms of mucous surfaces in the respiratory tract, normalizes the ventilation function of the lungs.
Parental Opinions on Children's Cough Syrup
In conclusion, we offer you to read a few reviews of the syrup "Lasolvan" for children:
- Anna: “What can I say, the syrup is good, the main thing is sweet. You don’t need to persuade the child to drink it for a long time. My daughter gave her all the time, but the younger one didn’t come up, a rash appeared.
- Catherine: "In Europe, even in 2012, children under 6-7 years old were not allowed to use cough syrups, because they are associated with more risks than benefits. First of all, you unconsciously can hide the underlying disease when you decide to treat the child without consulting a doctor ".
In practice, although cough is a very common symptom, there is no need to resort to self-treatment using various medications, since it will disappear spontaneously within a few days. And when the cough lasts long and hard, it is better to consult a doctor to get a diagnosis and correct treatment, since such a symptom can be a sign of a serious illness.