One of the most common forms of oncological diseases in recent years is the destruction of the respiratory system. But, having detected the symptoms of lung cancer at an early stage, the patient gets a chance for recovery. Careful attention to your body and awareness of the primary manifestations of the disease significantly increase the likelihood of cure from the disease.
Scourge of modernity
The risk group for oncology of the respiratory tract includes:
- smokers (not only active, but also passive, inhaling cigarette smoke);
- those associated with manufacturing resins (in particular, asbestos);
- people who have a genetic predisposition (bad habits and a wrong lifestyle "awaken" the gene responsible for the hereditary transmission of the disease);
- patients who have endocrine disruptions that manifest themselves in hormonal surges (usually this symptom of lung cancer at an early stage occurs in women).
Every year, lung cancer kills just over 1 million people. In addition, the disease is severe, as many patients seek help when it is almost impossible to help them. This is due to the fact that, despite the rather extensive list of primary symptoms, it is rather difficult to recognize precisely oncological problems. In addition, an important role in the diagnosis of cancer and the prognosis is played by its appearance.
There are 2 types of lung damage.
- central location of the tumor. In this case, the cancer cells destroy the large bronchi due to the growth inside the walls and the narrowing of the lumen;
- peripheral neoplasm affecting the small branches of the bronchi.
In the latter case, at an early stage, symptoms of lung cancer in both adults and children can only be detected through fluorography or other chest research, since there are no external manifestations of the disease. But in any case, malignant tumors of both types are quite well treatable with chemotherapy or surgery.
There are a number of symptoms that are "heralds" of lung cancer:
- persistent cough that is not associated with colds or viruses. As a rule, it is accompanied by the release of sputum of yellow-green color with blood veins. Attacks of expectoration are aggravated in the cold or after active sports;
- wheezing and shortness of breath, which occurs even with minimal physical exertion;
- chest pain;
- apathy bordering on a depressive state;
- scarlet or pink blood clots that are released when coughing;
- rapid weight loss;
- malaise and weakness;
- hoarse in his voice. It may be a sign that the nerve of the larynx is damaged;
- difficulty breathing (as the neoplasm interferes with the air flow);
- weakening of the muscles, which is associated with the general condition of the body.
It should be noted that the symptoms of lung cancer at an early stage in women, men and children do not have any differences. In this case, genetically representative of the beautiful half of humanity are more susceptible to this type of oncology. However, by working in hazardous industries and by an exorbitant passion for smoking, men significantly increase the likelihood of illness.
Gradually, cancer cells grow and provoke metastasis - the defeat of new areas. They are usually localized in the bones, liver, adrenal glands and brain. Accordingly, additional symptoms appear. These include:
- swollen lymph nodes (if adrenal glands are affected);
- difficulty in swallowing (this symptom may occur when the tumor affects the esophagus);
- jaundice (with liver metastases);
- joint pain;
- bone fragility.
As for the external manifestations of advanced lung cancer, these include:
- swelling of the upper torso;
- grayish complexion;
- yellow skin and sclera;
- varicose veins in the chest area.
However, it is important to note that these manifestations are characteristic of the central type of cancer. If oncology develops in areas of the small bronchi, then it will not be able to detect it in time, since this lesion is asymptomatic.
At an early stage, lung cancer can be identified in some cases by a number of symptoms. And to make sure of the diagnosis, it is necessary to make a photofluorogram, radiography or undergo an MRI procedure of the chest. The main thing - to prevent the "spread" of a malignant tumor. And also to remember that the disease detected at the initial stage can be defeated.