This disease belongs to the list of complex diseases. During the exacerbation period, the mucous membrane of the throat is affected. At the same time, there is tickling, pain and discomfort.
According to the anatomical features, the human throat is divided into 3 sections - the nasopharynx, oropharynx, and hypopharynx. Pharyngitis is the disease that most often affects the upper respiratory tract. However, this bacterial infection tends to migrate and descend to other parts of the pharynx. Depending on where inflammation occurs at a particular moment, the nature of the disease can be determined.
There are several forms of this disease:
There are people who are more susceptible to this disease. In this regard, they need to be especially careful to take care of, to carry out preventive procedures, and to undergo treatment under the supervision of specialists.
The following risk groups for pharyngitis are divided:
- Anatomical features of the structure of the pharynx or gastrointestinal tract
- Incorrect use of vasoconstrictor drugs
- Persistent smoking
- Allergic predisposition
- Long stay in a dry hot climate
- Trouble breathing through the nose (because of this, you have to breathe through your mouth)
- Lack of vitamin a in the body
- Endocrine diseases
- Renal, cardiac or pulmonary insufficiency
Symptoms of pharyngitis
This disease is accompanied by various symptoms that can be divided into several groups - depending on the stage of the disease.
At the initial stage of the disease, the following factors appear, identifying which, you must immediately begin active treatment:
- Drying of the throat (constant thirst)
- Beginning sore throat
- Painful swallowing, which over time only increases and turns into a constant pain
- Temperature rise
- Lethargy and malaise
If you have strep throat, the symptoms are pronounced, treatment in adults is long and difficult. Here are some signs by which you can diagnose the acute form of the disease:
- Severe sore throat that responds to the ears.
- Thirst (caused by painful swallowing of saliva or food)
- Characteristic plaque on the tongue and throat
- Ear congestion
- Dry and hard cough
- Sore neck and jaw (due to enlarged lymph nodes)
- Temperature up to 38 degrees
- Body weakness and lethargy
- Signs of poisoning - vomiting reflexes, rashes, eye pressure, dizziness, tinnitus
- Muscle pain
Note that the initial signs, as well as factors accompanying the acute form of the disease in adults, may not be fully met, but only partially. Due to this, it is possible to determine the complexity and stage of the disease.
If symptoms of pharyngitis appear, the usual treatment for adults is antibiotics that help to cope with the ailment. If you experience any problems that arise, you should definitely visit a doctor. After all, only he will conduct laboratory studies, and then he will be able to correctly diagnose and prescribe an individual treatment, depending on the severity of the inflammatory process.
If you do not begin treatment in time or treat this process carelessly, pharyngitis can give serious complications. Then it will be much harder to restore health and get rid of the consequences. Below is the main list of problems that may arise when the pharyngitis is running:
- Chronic pharyngitis
- Zakrutochny and peritonsillar abscess
This is only part of the complications that occur most often when the pharyngitis is running. However, there are other ailments that can develop on this basis. They are also quite dangerous for the body and require careful treatment.
- Acute rheumatism
- cervical lymphadenitis;
- post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis;
If chronic pharyngitis is detected in adults, treatment is carried out under the supervision of specialists. After all, it is the most common complication of neglected diseases. This process is rather sluggish and long. Sometimes he has aggravations, the probability of which is very high. For its manifestation, a slight supercooling is enough to resume the process. This significantly affects the immune system, a person becomes vulnerable and susceptible to various colds.
Bronchitis, tracheitis and laryngitis
These are diseases of various parts of the respiratory tract. Inflammation is localized in the bronchi, trachea of the larynx. Pharyngitis is most often caused by viral infections such as SARS. And these diseases already have a bacterial character. These are very dangerous consequences that are disastrous for the body and require serious treatment. If you run these diseases, then the next step can be pneumonia.
Otitis and sinusitis
The inflammatory process in pharyngitis affects not only the airways, but also lays its mark on the adjacent organs. Examples of this are sinusitis and otitis media. Here are some scenarios for complications of the nasal sinuses:
Sinusitis often does not respond to standard antibiotic treatment. In this case, the doctor may order a puncture, or suggest a puncture.
Complications in the ear is called otitis. There are several varieties in which the disease affects the inner, middle or outer ear. Do not forget that in the immediate vicinity of the auricle is the brain. Consequences can get there. And there may be a deterioration or even complete loss of hearing.
This is one of the most common and severe complications after pharyngitis. They are characterized by the accumulation of pus in various places. This condition is a serious threat to human health. In this case, urgent and professional actions of specialists are needed. Otherwise, the process will corrode the mucous tissues. And if the pus enters the circulatory system, it will immediately cause sepsis, then the count goes on for minutes, otherwise there may be a fatal outcome.
With good and proper prevention, you can avoid the disease. Therefore, it is extremely important to carry out these activities, especially in the period of cold weather, when you can get infected much faster. Consider the main preventive actions for pharyngitis:
- Try to breathe through your nose, not your mouth. Also avoid gassed and dusty places.
- In rooms where there is central heating, be sure to moisten the air. Now sold specialized devices for these purposes. Or you can just arrange circles with water.
- The development of pharyngitis also contributes to smoking. Therefore, you need to give up bad habits.
- A runny nose may be complicated by pharyngitis. Any disease requires its treatment. Especially since if you have difficulty breathing through your nose, you begin to breathe through your mouth, which increases the risk of infection.
- All chronic infections in the body must be carefully treated before getting rid of them. These include pulmonary diseases, problems in the urogenital area, dental caries, endocrine disruption, and anemia. After all, all these diseases for various reasons can provoke the appearance of pharyngitis.
- Instill heated olive oil into your nose. You can also use cough drops, which help for preventive purposes.
- Not superfluous will be holding at bedtime 10-minute inhalations over the decoctions of various herbs.
- Nebulizer from the pharmacy, such as Kameton, can be excellent helpers.
- You can also conduct water-glycerin gargle, which is excellent lubricate the walls of the pharynx.
- Strengthen immunity with a complex of useful vitamins and microelements (these may be pharmaceutical preparations or natural products)
- In the summer period, try to begin tempering - gargle with cool water, wash your feet in cold water.
- Useful and pleasant can be called carrying out procedures in special sanatoriums with healing springs, relaxing by the sea or fresh air at resorts in the mountains.
Treatment of pharyngitis in adults
The treatment of pharyngitis is symptomatic. First you need to remove from the diet food that can irritate the tissues of the pharynx (cold and hot, spicy, salty and sour). Also, be sure to exclude alcohol and stop smoking. During the day, you need to drink plenty of fluids - 1.5 - 2 liters. It can be water, decoctions of herbs, dog rose drink, berry compotes and fruit drinks.
It is necessary to start rinsing with antiseptic solutions, such as Iodinol or Furacilin. You can lubricate the throat Lugol or use inhalers such as Kameton or Inhalipt.
It is necessary to do overnight inhalation over the decoction of herbs - this is very helpful in the treatment. If there is a temperature, then special drugs are used - aspirin or paracetamol. Well, not to do without vitamins and minerals - only on prescription.
In the chronic form of this disease, antibiotic treatment as well as physiotherapy is applied to all the above methods. If the lymphoid tissue has grown, the doctor sees the need, it can prescribe a cauterization by electric current.
It is important to remember that prevention is always better than cure. And if you are infected, be sure to take seriously the deliverance from the disease. After all, a neglected disease can lead to serious complications, the results of which can be extremely difficult.