Many people are familiar with the discomfort associated with swelling of the lower extremities, which has arisen as a result of a long bus ride or prolonged standing in one place. But what if the condition is periodic in everyday life? Why does leg swelling appear below the knee? The reasons for this phenomenon, we now consider.
What makes your legs buzz and swell?
The cause of swelling on the leg or both limbs below the knee is often associated with a specific pathology and requires treatment. It is good if there is confidence that such a state has declared itself because of a long stay without movement and is of a single character. By the way, wearing high heels also leads to this. The reason is simple: in such cases there is a lack of contractions in the muscles of the calves of the legs, which stimulate the outflow of blood and lymphatic fluid.
It can cause puffiness and too large, exceeding the norm body weight, as well as varicose veins, impaired blood flow. Lower limb injuries are another cause of edema. The entry of blood plasma into soft tissues leads to their formation. As it recovers, the edema must also recede, unless the blood flow and lymph flow are disturbed, which is fraught with a chronic course of the disease. You should know that if untreated, injuries can lead to venous insufficiency and thrombosis.
The common causes of swelling of the legs below the knees are thinning of the venous wall with the subsequent formation of nodes - varicose veins. In the first stages of the course of the disease, the edema appears only at the end of the day and disappears after rest. Subsequently, it becomes permanent.
Thrombophlebitis is another disease associated with swelling of the limbs. In this case, blood clots form in the veins, blocking the lumen in them, and inflammation of the venous walls is also added. Symptoms are not limited to swelling, there is also hyperemia of the skin around the veins and pain syndrome.
Listing the causes of swelling of the legs below the knees, it must be said about such pathologies as:
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system, including heart failure. In this case, the limbs swell symmetrically. With further development, edema can rise to the thighs and is accompanied by shortness of breath and increased fatigue.
- Pathology of the kidneys. The symptom will be swelling of the backs of the feet on both legs. There are also signs such as discoloration of the urine, swelling of the eyelids, and circles under the eyes.
- Violation of lymph drainage.
- Edema as a result of thyroid disease.
There are a few more causes of edema, characteristic only for women. These include premenstrual syndrome and pregnancy. In the first case, it is associated with the hormonal level of swelling of the feet and legs in the minor degree that occur in the second half of the cycle. Usually the phenomenon disappears with the last day of menstrual bleeding. In the case of the regular manifestation of such a symptom, consultation with a gynecologist and endocrinologist is required.
In the second case, the swelling of the legs often appears in the late stages of gestation, and can also be a consequence of nephropathy of pregnant women.
Diagnosis and treatment
There are many reasons for the fact that the leg has swollen below the knee, so treatment should begin with a visit to the doctor and find out the underlying disease. To relieve the symptoms, however, agents that have a diuretic effect with an action aimed at reducing body fluids can be used. Addition to them will be a reduction in the use of salt and spicy seasonings, that is, that which contributes to fluid retention in the body.
Folk remedies are also capable of coping with puffiness, the use of which can lead to normal water-salt metabolism in the body or bring relief to limbs after physical exertion. For fatigue, accompanied by puffiness, an infusion of chamomile, horsetail, sage will help:
- For its preparation, 100 g of flowers are mixed and poured with a liter of hot water, followed by boiling on low heat for a quarter of an hour and infusing for at least 45 minutes.
- Then the infusion is decanted, added to 3 liters of water and used as a foot bath.
Effective from fatigue of the legs will also be a rubbing, prepared from the juice of one lemon and the same amount of vegetable oil.
When varicose veins are able to bring relief foot bath based on willow and oak bark:
- To 0.5 liters of hot water you need to add two tablespoons of bark and boil the broth for a quarter of an hour over low heat.
- An important nuance: lower your legs into the bath before your knees, the water should be warm.
As an auxiliary therapy, it is possible to use diuretics: cranberries, cranberries, or watermelons.
What should be done in case of swelling of the lower extremities? To begin with, it is worth contacting a doctor in order to establish the root cause, unless it is covered by prolonged physical exertion or being in a static position. Remember that individual treatments that can help in some cases are contraindicated in others.
From the general recommendations of the doctors, the following can be distinguished:
- eliminate salt in excess;
- choose comfortable shoes for everyday wear, eliminating high heels;
- during a forced long-term stay in a static position, periodically give the load to the legs in order to restore blood flow;
- At the end of the day, pay attention to your feet by holding a light foot massage, stimulating the outflow of fluid by putting a pillow under your lower limbs during a night's rest.
In general, it is necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle, eliminate bad habits, especially smoking, to watch your weight. All this will lead to a rational work of our body and will eliminate the development of many diseases, including swelling of the legs to the knees.