The new sweetener, known to all as sucralose, was invented by chance as early as 1976. Food supplement E 955 is used until today as a sweetener. The controversy over what sucralose is, whether it is beneficial or harmful to the body, does not subside. Let's talk about it and talk.
Sucralose - what is it?
Sucralose is made from regular granulated sugar. This dietary supplement, which many people on a dietary basis use as a sweetener, was invented as a result of changes in the chemical composition of sugar. Hydrogen atoms were replaced with chlorine, which resulted in a very sweet substance. Sukralose tastes sweeter than ten times more than sugar. However, it is absolutely not absorbed by the body and has no energy value.
To date, sucralose has become widely used in the food industry. This sugar substitute is resistant to heat treatment. It is used for making juices and fruit purees. Please note: the label on the E 955 package means that there is sucralose in the product. It allows the product to be stored for a long time and does not lose its taste.
Sugar substitute - harm or benefit?
For decades now, scientists and physicians have been arguing about the benefits and harms of sucralose. Some believe that it has a number of positive properties. Others hold the opinion that such a substitute for sugar cannot be added to food products.
Today, sucralose is added to almost all sweets. This substance is a real find for people suffering from diabetes. The components of sucralose are absorbed by our body by only 15% and linger for no more than one day. They are then excreted in the urine.
The E 955 sweetener is used to produce a range of foods and beverages, in particular:
- sweet carbonated drinks;
- chewing gum;
- fruit preservation;
- chilled and fresh frozen desserts, etc.
Sucralose has also found widespread use in the pharmacological industry. This component is part of many syrups and suspensions. Sucralose has a number of beneficial properties, in particular:
- not absorbed by the body and does not accumulate;
- does not adversely affect the fetus and the health of a pregnant woman, so it can be used during the period of gestation;
- use of sucralose does not increase the concentration of sugar in the blood;
- the active components of sucralose have a beneficial effect on the oral cavity, protecting it from germ multiplication and caries development;
- sucralose is very useful for tooth enamel.
As already mentioned, sucralose sweetener does not contain calories, so this product can be entered into the diet. Very often, it is eaten by people leading an active struggle against obesity. To prevent sucralose from harming health, no more than 4 mg of product per 1 kg of body weight can be consumed per day.
Along with the beneficial properties, there are always contraindications. Until the end, the harm of sucralose has not been investigated, so it should be applied very carefully. Since the release of sucralose and its sale, the demand for this sweetener has increased to 20%. The following arguments prove against the use of sucralose:
- research on the safety and benefits of this product was carried out exclusively on animals;
- not enough attention has been paid to testing the sweetener;
- The sugar substitute contains chlorine compounds that can harm our health.
Among treating specialists there is an opinion that sucralose can cause irreparable harm to human health, in particular:
- provoke the development of allergic reactions;
- increase fat accumulation in the body;
- cause disorders of the digestive tract;
- cause a decrease in the body's immune defense;
- affect the concentration of hormones;
- provoke the emergence and development of central nervous system disorders.
However, these statements do not have a scientific substantiation, since scientists and practitioners have not conducted studies on the harmful properties of sucralose. Before you decide to introduce this sugar substitute in your daily diet, be sure to consult with your healthcare professional.
Let's talk about sucralose with inulin
Inulin is considered a natural sugar substitute, which is 95% organic fructose. This substance is extracted from plant extracts. In the maximum concentration of inulin contained in chicory. Treatment specialists consider inulin a very useful sugar substitute. It has a number of positive properties, in particular:
- lowers blood sugar concentration;
- contributes to the speedy recovery in the treatment of acute and chronic digestive pathologies;
- helps to cope with hepatitis of various groups, dysbacteriosis;
- strengthens the immune defense;
- contributes to the full absorption of calcium, which leads to the strengthening of bone tissue;
- removes heavy metal compounds and radionuclides accumulated in the body;
- improves metabolic processes;
- helps to restore the hair structure.
In the course of long-term studies, the negative properties of inulin were not identified. The only major contraindication to its use is the individual intolerance to a polysaccharide substance. The combination of sucralose with inulin does not have harmful properties, it is considered an affordable and relatively cheap sugar substitute.
The attending specialists pay attention to the fact that sucralose has a number of positive properties, so it can be eaten by people suffering from diabetes of various groups, as well as following a dietary ration. Doctors strongly recommend adherence to the daily dosage of sucralose, since its excessive use can lead to the development of complicated consequences. Unbalanced use of sucralose can cause an accumulation of glucose in the blood and, as a consequence, an increase in sugar concentration.
Finally, the beneficial and harmful properties of sucralose have not been studied to date. This is primarily due to the fact that scientists are not paying enough attention to this issue. Before you enter such a sweetener in your diet, you should consult with your healthcare professional. Be healthy!