Spikes on the heels - a problem that causes many inconveniences. The soreness is sometimes so strong that a person cannot walk. The causes of the spike on the heel can be different. To its occurrence lead age changes, overweight, a large load on the legs. How to treat spikes on heels? There are several methods - medical and folk.
Spikes on heels: causes
- Spikes on the heels are often called the heel spurs. The disease develops as follows. In the calcaneal tubercle there is a periosteum. It is here that the vertical growth begins to form. It grows down to the foot. This bone formation disrupts soft tissue, causing pain.
- Spikes on heels can appear at any age. The cause may be flat feet, wearing the wrong shoes. Inconvenient shoes rub the periosteum. At risk are overweight people and the elderly. If with the first everything is clear - in full ones there is a big load on the legs, then in the second one the formation of growth in the heel can be caused by age-related changes. In older people, blood circulation deteriorates, muscles and ligaments become less elastic, and bones fragile. It is on the feet have a large load. As a result, spikes appear on the heels. Every tenth person suffers from this problem.
How to treat spikes on heels?
It would seem that if the growth is inside the heel, it means that it should be treated surgically. In fact, they resort to such operations extremely rarely. How to treat spikes on heels? First of all, for pain, you need to consult a doctor. He will examine the painful area and, most likely, write out a referral for an x-ray. Only after receiving the picture, the patient is prescribed treatment.
Acute pains are usually relieved by injections. An injection of hormone-based drugs and Lidocaine is injected into the heel, in the area of the spike. Most often used for these purposes Diprospan. Medications help relieve tissue inflammation and block pain.
Next you need to reduce the load on the legs. This does not mean that a person should be completely immobilized. In case of acute pain, the doctor may prescribe to be in a state of rest for several days. After should ease the load on the legs. It depends entirely on the position of the foot. Incorrect location, deviation to the side increases the load several times. One has only to start correctly to put the foot, as it decreases. To do this, make special insoles. First, make a foot cast. Then on it make an insole. It is fully consistent with the individual characteristics of the foot. With orthopedic lining go some time. Usually, the spike begins to round out, and ceases to injure the tissue. There is pain. Also, to relieve symptoms, the doctor may prescribe physical therapy. Patients can do foot massage, prescribe anti-inflammatory ointment.
It is now quite popular to remove the spike on the heel with the help of shock wave therapy. This procedure is quite expensive. The scaling is crushed according to the same principle that kidney stones are crushed. Attach special sensors to the sore spot. They send waves that destroy the growth. It is said that two procedures are enough for the spur to collapse.-
Spikes on heels: symptoms and treatment
Spikes on the heels do not always cause discomfort. It happens that the spike has grown long enough, but there is no pain. Pain occurs in the heel from the side of the sole. They may increase when walking and standing. During exacerbation, the heel can hurt and at rest. Unpleasant sensations are strongest after sleep. The first steps in case of strong lesions of soft tissues can be very difficult to do. With these symptoms, you must consult a surgeon or orthopedist.
- Relieve pain, you can use compresses, foot baths. Effectively hot water treatment. At bedtime, a basin of very hot water is poured, the legs are dipped there. As the water cools, boiling water is poured into the basin. Do bath need about 30 minutes. Then wipe your feet, heel smeared with iodine, wear socks. Legs are wrapped in polyethylene. In the morning heels smeared with petroleum jelly.
- The bath can be done with brewed herbs. Wormwood, nettle, burdock help most from the spike on the heel. They simply put in the basin and pour boiling water. Then in a little cooled, but still hot water, feet soar.
- Can be used for bath salt solution. For this 5 l. water dissolve 1 kg of salt.
In order for the spike to not grow on the heel, it is necessary to carry out prevention. Shoes should be comfortable. Orthopedic insoles can be used. You need to keep track of your weight. When diets should drink vitamins. The appearance of the defect contributes to the lack of minerals. Spikes on the heels are treated with anti-inflammatory ointments, physiotherapy and injections.