What is the difference between the usual sore throat, which disappears by itself, and the onset of a potentially dangerous disease? This question is especially popular during periods of exacerbation of respiratory viral pathologies, and discomfort in the larynx is caused by many factors. So, sore throat: causes and treatment.
Sore throat: causes
Pain in the larynx usually indicates the onset of a viral infection. This phenomenon usually occurs with adults and children who have been exposed to severe weather conditions, and can lead to slight discomfort during talking, eating or drinking. In addition to local symptoms, dry cough, fever, chills, malaise and fatigue appear.
The main causes of persistent sore throat can be the following respiratory viral diseases:
- viral infection such as cold or flu;
- pharyngitis - inflammation of the larynx;
- tonsillitis - inflammation of the tonsils;
- sinusitis - inflammation of the sinuses;
- viral pneumonia;
In addition, discomfort in the throat can be caused by damage to the laryngeal mucosa by swallowing something sharp or too large. In such a case, the person coughs intuitively to help push the stuck object in this way.
However, if there is only constant sore throat and coughing, then the reason for this may not be viruses, but other factors:
- the body’s response to external stimuli, especially pollen, dust and air pollution;
- unhealthy habits such as smoking and excessive drinking;
- eating very spicy foods seasoned with various spices;
- acid reflux and other diseases of the stomach can also be causes of burning and burning in the throat;
- neoplasms and malignant tumors of the larynx.
In addition, discomfort in the larynx and coughing can lead to a long stay in a smoky and smoky room. But usually this symptom quickly passes on its own after a person receives a portion of fresh air.
Coughing and slight sore throat can cause excessive nervousness. This is particularly susceptible to very shy people. The best solution to this problem is the practice of sedative methods, such as:
- speech training in front of a mirror;
- visit a psychologist.
Finally, another cause of dry throat can be a variety of psychosomatic disorders. For example, if a person often gets cold or is chased by chronic tonsillitis, a cough is already a habit. Accordingly, regular coughing irritates and dries out the larynx, which leads to unpleasant sensations.
If you think that no reason is relevant to you and are concerned about your symptoms, consult your doctor to rule out the possibility of more serious problems.
Discomfort in the larynx can be caused by a number of medical problems. If the causes of sore throat and dry cough are viruses associated with colds, then treatment should be based primarily on taking antiviral drugs, such as:
Effectively eliminate perspiration in the throat due to cold can lollipops, rinses and inhalers. If a sore throat is caused by an allergic reaction to the environment, then it is possible to try non-prescription antihistamines.
When acid reflux is the culprit in the discomfort, serious treatment cannot be avoided. Significantly reduce the discomfort can be with the help of antacids and H2 blockers. In addition, to reduce the constant discomfort in the throat, you can use the correct diet. If you have a cold or flu, you may need to go on a diet high in vitamin C. This will help increase the efficiency of the immune system and significantly reduce the risk of infection.
You suspect that the tickling is caused by acid reflux? Try to limit the use of spicy and fatty foods, alcohol and caffeine.
If the causes of discomfort are not exactly established, it is impossible to self-medicate. Better contact your nearest health center.
Treatment with traditional medicine
Virtually any cause of dryness and irritation of the throat can be eliminated with medication. Nevertheless, there are many home methods that help to effectively alleviate the patient's condition:
- Gargling with salt water relieves symptoms, relieves irritation and inflammation of the tonsils. This method is especially effective for treating sore throat in a child, caused by a respiratory viral infection, as children are rarely prescribed potent antiviral drugs.
- Drinking a mixture of ginger and honey eliminates discomfort in the throat. Ginger is believed to have strong anti-inflammatory properties, while honey has a powerful antimicrobial and soothing effect.
- A mixture of equal amounts of turmeric and milk is also considered beneficial. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory effects, and warm milk helps improve blood circulation to the throat and speeds up its recovery.
- Try to drink herbal teas based on chamomile, sage, licorice root and eucalyptus.
In addition, effectively eliminate perspiration in the throat in adults and children inhalation. Boil the potatoes and breathe, covered with a towel over the steam, or make a special herbal mixture. If your child is often sick with colds and flu, it is useful to purchase a special nebulizer.
Virtually anyone can suffer from tickling in the throat, which is caused by a change in weather or wind. But chronic discomfort usually occurs due to the presence of the disease. If you can’t independently determine the cause and importance of this symptom, then you should not self-medicate. Remember that the consequences of a disease not diagnosed in time can be quite life-threatening.