Cough is an inherent defense reaction of any person, aimed at cleansing the airways. Often it is preceded by an irritated condition in the throat, which many define as soreness. We will understand the question of what can be done if you have a sore throat and want to cough.
Why do you have a sore throat and want to cough?
An annoying state, when constantly throttling in my throat and I want to cough, probably, was experienced by everyone. This brings a lot of inconvenience and is very annoying, especially when communicating with people or if the symptom appeared at night: from the constant coughing and constant clearing of the throat, the patient himself and his relatives are deprived of sleep. It seems that this state of affairs will remain forever, regardless of the steps taken and attempts to alleviate the condition, and this is very unnerving.
Sore throat can be caused by a large number of causes. Sometimes the tickling sensation indicates the onset of a cold, ARVI, bacterial infections of the oropharynx. Allergic manifestations on foods or food additives, as well as a reaction to smoke, dust mites, mold or pollen can cause itching and sore throat. Ingestion of mucus from the nose to the throat or dryness in the pharynx can irritate the mucous membrane and cause this condition.
Also, the sensation of tickling in the throat, as if something is interfering, may be caused by acid reflux into the esophagus, neurosis of the pharynx, tumor processes in the thyroid gland and the larynx. Even after loud singing or screaming, the sensations described can be experienced. Often the same causes cause sore throat and dry cough for a long time.
Summarizing the above, we can say that drying, inflammation and irritation of the mucous membrane, which appeared due to a disease or pathological condition, leads to a sore throat. As a result, there is a protective reaction of the body in the form of cough.
Sore throat and concomitant cough are not diseases in themselves. These are only symptoms that can be cured by the treatment of the disease that caused them. To reduce their strength is quite possible. With the drying of the mucous will help cope:
- rinsing solutions;
- lozenges and lozenges for sucking;
- oil-containing or vasoconstrictor nasal drops.
There are drugs that inhibit coughing or, conversely, contributing to the separation of sputum:
- cough suppressants;
- expectorant drugs.
In pharmacies, such medicines are sold in the form:-
- candy and lozenges for sucking;
- herbal fees.
Which drug to choose in each case, the doctor should determine after the diagnosis. Self-treatment is unacceptable, since ignorance of the principle of the drug's action and the body's reaction to its use will only harm.
Folk remedies to relieve symptoms
Simple remedies that are easy to prepare at home will help to effectively get rid of the sore throat and instantly ease the condition:
- Tea with lemon and honey. Adding a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice to a cup of warm tea will soothe the throat and remove the cough.
- Rinse with sea salt solution. In a glass of warm water you need to add sea salt and gargle. The tool reduces pain, dryness and itching, inherent in inflammation due to the antiseptic properties of sea salt.
- Apple vinegar. Add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Gargling with vinegar helps treat throat infections. Adding honey will sweeten the taste.
- Drinking warm water. Since a sore throat is often the cause of dryness, especially when accompanied by a cough, drinking warm water can be very effective. A glass of warm water before bedtime is a good and easy way to get rid of a sore throat at night.
- Aloe vera juice. Adding aloe juice to warm water and using a rinse to reduce airway inflammation, soothe itching and sore throat, as well as help in the treatment of bronchitis.
- Herbal teas Drinking a cup of warm ginger tea before bed is an effective way to eliminate tickling in the throat and relieve cough. Using peppermint, chamomile, and lemongrass for brewing tea can help remove tickling in the throat. You can drink herbal tea three times a day.
- Milk well moisturizes the throat, removes dryness and irritability. Efficiency can be improved by adding some honey to warm milk.
- A dream with a raised head can reduce the passage of mucus from the nose into the throat, and accordingly, its shell will be less irritated.
- More often you need to change bedding. Clean laundry reduces the chance of dust mites causing an allergic reaction.
- Moisten the air. Humid air helps in the fight against dry throat. However, you need to be careful of asthmatics - a large amount of moisture in the air can cause an attack of suffocation. Humidity level should not exceed 40-50%.
Summing up, one should pay attention to the fact that home remedies are quite effective helpers, but it is advisable to consult with a doctor if these symptoms are observed:
- sore throat with high fever;
- swallowing process is difficult;
- There is a recent throat surgery in medical history;
- the presence of blood in sputum and saliva;
- sore throat and ears.
You should also avoid hot, fatty, spicy foods. But the watermelon, pear and apples can in the short term facilitate the tickling in the throat. Health to you!