A healthy lifestyle is coming into fashion. Practically each of us sometimes has a desire to replace usual tea or coffee with a useful herbal infusion. And what if you can not start the morning without a crisp cup of flavored drink? You can try an alternative - instant chicory, the taste and smell of which is reminiscent of coffee. A nice bonus is the lack of caffeine.
But in the use of chicory there are both positive and negative sides.
Medicinal plant chicory ordinary
What is the plant from which the coffee beverage is made? The chicory itself is known to everyone: the tender blue flowers on the high and fairly stiff stems are pleasing to the eye. Since ancient times, it has been used in traditional medicine as a sure remedy for gastric ailments, liver and kidney treatments, as well as for arthritis and gout.
All parts of the plant are healing and contain a lot of useful substances: provitamin A, vitamins of group B, vitamin C, iron, potassium and calcium, pectin (and this is not a complete list!). The most valuable element found in chicory roots is inulin. It is an unusual substance in its spectrum that improves metabolism, lowers blood sugar levels, normalizes liver function, stimulates immunity, and even reduces the risk of developing cancer. In addition, inulin is inherently a natural prebiotic, that is, it promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the intestine and, as a result, the normalization of its microflora.
Manufacturing technology of soluble chicory
In order to obtain soluble chicory, use different technologies. It is very important how the product is made, it affects its quality and the content of useful substances.
Most often, chicory powder is obtained from the liquid extract, while retaining all the beneficial properties of a medicinal plant. Another method of obtaining soluble chicory is inherently similar to the production of freeze-dried coffee. In this case, in the first stage of processing, chicory roots are fried. The aggressive heat treatment, unfortunately, impoverishes the composition of the final product, the content of the inulin friend already known to us is particularly reduced.
Manufacturers quality soluble chicory necessarily indicate its composition. Upon receipt of the powder from the plant extract on the package will be indicated: 100% chicory extract. You can buy this drink in any supermarket where it is most often displayed in the department of health food products.
The benefits of soluble chicory
The benefits of a drink made from chicory powder are indisputable. Due to the unique composition of the plant, it has a positive effect on the general condition of the human body and can help with some ailments.
Instant chicory is an excellent choice if you know firsthand about
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. Potassium, contained in a drink from chicory root, improves the functioning of the heart, normalizing the heart rhythm, dilates blood vessels and removes harmful cholesterol from the blood.
- Diseases of the nervous system. The high content of B vitamins helps to maintain a good mood and promotes good sleep.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Anti-inflammatory and healing properties of chicory will help with ulcer and gastritis, and inulin will restore the intestinal microflora.
- Liver disease. The properties of chicory are such that it is a natural hepaprotector, that is, it helps gently and naturally restore the liver cells and improve the flow of bile.
- Diabetes mellitus. Scientific studies have shown that inulin helps reduce blood sugar.
Soluble chicory, as you know, can be replaced by coffee. And the taste and aroma of the drink will not be too different from the usual coffee. Moreover, many manufacturers now offer a wide selection of chicory powder products with various additives. This is not only extracts of medicinal plants (chamomile, ginseng) and aromatic spices (cinnamon, ginger), but, oddly enough, coffee. A small amount of ground coffee beans - and the drink from chicory becomes almost indistinguishable from the favorite drink coffeemakers.
After taking antibiotics or poisoning, you often have to drink expensive medications to restore the intestinal microflora. Try to replace them with soluble chicory, it will help the body return to normal bacterial balance and relieve discomfort in the abdomen.
Pregnant women sometimes have to refuse to completely or strongly limit the use of tea and coffee. In this case, a drink from chicory may be just a godsend. It is harmless to expectant mothers, especially if you use it within reasonable limits.
Soluble chicory damage
Despite the fact that soluble chicory is a natural and quite useful product, it also has its negative sides.
- This drink is contraindicated for people with weak blood vessels and varicose veins.
- If you suffer from a chronic cough or bronchitis, chicory will have to be removed from the diet.
- In asthma, it is simply dangerous to health!
- It is not recommended to get involved in this natural coffee substitute and allergy sufferers: ascorbic acid contained in it can cause an allergic reaction.
Sometimes the harm and benefit of chicory go hand in hand. A good remedy for the prevention and treatment of gastric diseases, it is contraindicated in the exacerbation of gastritis. Soluble chicory improves metabolism - a great help in the fight against excess weight, but it also increases the appetite.
See also:Can chicory be nursing mom?
If you want to start giving a drink from instant chicory to a child, you need to do this with care and not earlier than the age of three.
In any case, remember that soluble chicory is not only a tasty drink, but also a product made from a medicinal plant. Therefore, before applying it is better to consult a doctor!