Probably no disease other than sleepwalking is surrounded by so many myths. In ancient times walking in a dream was explained by obsession with evil spirits. Modern science believes that such attacks are possible in any person. The reason for the violation may be stress.
In one myth about people prone to somnambulism (that’s the scientific name), it says that a person repeats what is happening in his dream. In an unconscious state, a lunatic is able not only to perform usual actions, but also to perform extreme actions: walk along the eaves, climb trees or a roof. All these actions are unaccountable and are performed automatically. The name of the attacks, sleepwalking, has little to do with the moon. In ancient times it was believed that walking in a dream is the result of an action on a person and his psyche of the moon. Sleepwalking usually occurs in the phase of deep sleep.
Sleepwalking in children: causes
- Scientists have not fully established the causes of sleepwalking. It is believed that if both parents are subject to seizures, then walking in a dream can genetically go to the child. Children are very often somnambulists. Attacks may occur at a young age. Most children begin to walk in their sleep as early as 4 years old. This does not mean that seizures will occur in adulthood. Usually children grow up, and everything goes by itself. At the same time, in order to avoid psychological trauma, it is impossible to wake a child during an attack. This can cause severe fright. You need to carefully put him in bed. The next morning, the baby will most likely not remember anything.
- Children suffer from sleepwalking more than adults. The reason is susceptibility and not strong enough psyche. The child receives a large amount of information. The brain, instead of going into a state of rest, continues to process it even in a dream.
- It can also be an experience. You can cope with child sleepwalking. To do this, control the mode: waking up and falling asleep must be at the same time. Before bed, it is better not to play outdoor games, but, for example, to read something.
How to get rid of sleepwalking?
Isolated cases of sleepwalking do not require treatment. If walking occurs every night, then it is better to contact a neurologist. Treatment in such a situation is prescribed individually. Also go to the hospital preferably with concomitant symptoms. One of them - trembling limbs, leg and arm cramps. How to get rid of sleepwalking on their own? First of all, you need to control yourself. An excited or excessively emotional state before bedtime can lead to an attack.
In such cases, help short walks before bedtime, a warm shower. The room should be ventilated. For some people, auto-help helps.
If there is a person suffering from sleepwalking in the house, it is better not to leave dangerous objects in his room, to close the windows and doors so that they cannot be unlocked from the inside.
Another way to cope with the problem is to put a basin of water or to put a wet rag near the bed. This will stop the somnambulist, make you wake up. But this method is quite stressful, can cause a strong fright in a patient.
Consequences of sleepwalking
- The consequences of sleepwalking are mainly associated with various injuries. Here, by the way, to mention another myth - a lunatic who fell out of the window will not get a single scratch. This is absolutely wrong. Despite the fact that a person walks in a dream in most cases with open eyes and performs clear actions, he does not control himself. Consequently, it can easily get into a dangerous situation.
- The consequences of sleepwalking are difficult to predict. It is believed that seizures may be harbingers of epilepsy. There are cases when they occurred several years before a person was diagnosed with a medical diagnosis. Therefore it is better to turn to a neurologist. Usually, an encephalogram is prescribed to clarify the causes.
See also: How to get rid of insomnia?
Walking in a dream occurs because certain areas of the cerebral cortex remain awake. Remember the main thing! In this situation, a person can not be awakened. He should be quietly put to bed. Treatment is prescribed in the case of frequent attacks, as well as in the presence of associated symptoms. Do not forget that in adults sleepwalking can be a symptom of serious diseases of the nervous system.