Stroke is a common pathology among members of opposite sexes who have reached the age of 60. It is in adulthood that we are more often exposed to impaired cerebral circulation. How to recognize the disease in order to provide necessary assistance in a timely manner? Consider the signs of a stroke in a woman.
Precursors of ischemic pathology
As medical practice shows, a stroke cannot occur spontaneously without any particular reason. The development of this pathology is preceded by a number of related signs and factors. The fair sex is equally susceptible to the disease, as are men, but the first signs of a stroke in a woman have their own characteristics.
Before we consider the primary signals of the body, notifying the development of the disease, let's carefully examine who is most susceptible to stroke. So, at risk are:
- representatives of the beautiful half of humanity suffering from hypertension;
- smoking girls;
- women diagnosed with cardiac or vascular disease;
- women with high cholesterol levels in the blood;
- women with diabetes.
Often, women who are overweight or obese are also at risk. The primary signs of the development of ischemic pathology include the following symptoms:
- intense headaches;
- the appearance of noise in the head;
- the occurrence of difficulties in the functioning of the speech apparatus;
- excessive pathological forgetfulness;
- violation of memory functions;
- numbness of the lower or upper limbs;
- impaired motor coordination.
If you cannot recognize a stroke for such a set of symptoms, then the attending specialists suggest that you also perform a kind of test, which includes the following aspects:
- With a smile, one faceplate will remain motionless.
- When raising hands up a person will not be able to hold them due to weakening of muscle tissue.
- If a person has a stroke, ask them to stick their tongue out. The tip of the tongue turned to the sides will indicate a lesion of the brain areas.
- Ask the person to say any phrase. Difficulty in pronunciation and articulation disorders are also the primary signals of a stroke.
If at least one sign appears, you must immediately call the ambulance team. Timely assistance provided is considered the key to successful treatment. Doctors strongly recommend contacting the hospital within 2-3 hours after the onset of primary symptoms.
Symptoms of stroke
Treatment specialists classify stroke into several forms. Depending on the form of the pathology, specific symptoms may appear. If we talk about such in general, the following symptoms are characteristic of stroke in women:
- pain in the facial or sternum;
- rapid heartbeat;
- difficulty of the respiratory process.
Also, signs of the development of ischemic disease largely depend on the affected area of the brain. As a rule, if the left side is affected, the characteristic symptoms will appear on the right side of the head and body and, accordingly, vice versa.
In addition to the above symptoms, the main signs of a stroke in the fair half of humanity include:
- weakening of facial muscle tissue;
- numbness of the face or limbs;
- inability to gesticulate;
- violation of visual function;
- sudden loss of balance;
- convulsive phenomena;
- gag reflexes;
- sudden loss of consciousness.
We diagnose microstroke together with a specialist
In medical practice, there is no such thing as a microstroke. This term is mainly used in ordinary conversations and describes a condition in which cerebral circulation is impaired. By itself, a microstroke is considered to be a precursor of a stroke.
Primary symptoms may occur for several hours and then disappear without a trace. In no case it is impossible to ignore them, because a person is at risk of developing ischemic pathology, which is fraught with the development of complicated consequences, including falling into a state of coma and death.
There are the following signs of microstroke in women:
- sharp headache of varying intensity;
- dysfunction of the speech apparatus;
- numb feeling in different parts of the body;
- violation of visual function, in particular, the emergence of the so-called flies;
- causeless loss of consciousness.
At this stage, cope with ischemic disease is much easier than to treat an already developed ailment. A woman needs to seek help from a doctor, be examined and undergo appropriate treatment.
How to distinguish a stroke from a heart attack?
Often, people confuse the symptoms of ischemic pathology and heart attack. Indeed, the primary signs of these diseases are very similar. With the development of a heart attack, it is also possible a violation of speech functions and coordination, a feeling of numbness in the extremities, their swelling, headaches, loss of consciousness, etc.
A heart attack is a very dangerous pathology, which is accompanied by the death of the cells of the contractile heart tissue. It is necessary to know the primary signs of heart attack in women in order to provide correct and effective pre-first aid. So, along with the above symptoms, the heart attack has the following symptoms:
- pain in the left side of the sternum, extending into the shoulder girdle;
- sharp drop in pressure;
- excessive sweating;
- tingling and numbness in the upper limbs.
What should I do before the ambulance arrives?
As has been repeatedly stated, timely medical assistance before the arrival of the medical team often predetermines the outcome of the entire treatment. So that you can help your loved one cope with this pathology and prevent the development of complicated consequences, you need to know what to do when signs of stroke and heart attack appear:
- A person who has had a stroke should immediately be placed horizontally, slightly lifting the shoulder girdle and head.
- In no case is it allowed to transport the victim.
- The patient's head must be tilted to the side and constantly ensure that the tongue does not catch fire.
- When the patient loses consciousness, one should be supported with ammonia or wine vinegar.
- Be sure to provide full access to air, freeing the human body from compression objects: collars, zippers, belts, scarves, etc.
- A cool object should be attached to the head. Please note that you can only apply ice or frozen food to the opposite side of the head from the numbed part of the body. Such measures should be taken only when a hemorrhagic type of stroke develops. In case of ischemic disease, the neck and face of a person can be sprayed with cool water.
- If a person wears dentures, they should be removed from the mouth.
- When gagging occurs, the oral cavity should be thoroughly cleaned with a clean cloth from the accumulation of masses and saliva.
- To maintain proper blood circulation in the limbs, they should be warmed as much as possible with a blanket, warm clothes, a heating pad, or mustard bags.
- Do not give the patient pharmacological agents.
A stroke is dangerous in that the malfunctioning of certain parts of the brain can lead to the development of complicated consequences and even death. To prevent this, you should follow preventive measures and monitor their health. If primary specific symptoms appear, give first aid and call a team of qualified doctors. Be healthy!