Today it is fashionable to have a conversation on the topic of "not those" children who are not able to adapt to the outside world. Should they be considered sick and treated? While doctors are puzzling over these problems, for parents an autistic child is a tragedy. That is why many people are interested in the signs of autism in children 2 years of age and its predictions.
I see nothing, hear nothing, say nothing to anyone: what do we not know about autism?
There is a lot of talk about autism, but they know almost nothing. Scientists cannot say why such a pathology occurs. Accordingly, it is impossible to determine the risk group. It is known that in different countries from 4 to 50 cases of autism per 10,000 children are registered, that is, every 88 children are sick. Boys are more susceptible to this violation: they occur 3-4 times more often in them than in girls. Among autists there are children with intact intelligence (and even with outstanding abilities), but 30% of “special” kids additionally have a diagnosis of “mental retardation”.
The scale of the problem is quite serious. Every year more and more children are identified "in themselves." But doctors attribute this to the fact that new tests are being developed, and even healthy children can fall into the category of autists by their results.
What does autistic mean?
To describe autism, it is enough to know how this word is translated from Latin. It means self. This disturbance in the development of the child, in which he is closed in himself, constantly repeats the same actions and always follows his own rules.
Signs of autism are most often found at the age of 3 years. The older the child, the less the severity of the symptoms of such a disorder. Autism can be judged by three main criteria:
- great difficulties in socialization;
- the child exists in his world and categorically does not want to interact with others (this also applies to close relatives);
- limited circle of interests and stereotypical model of behavior.
Diagnosis based on test results? Errors are possible!
Why is it difficult to recognize the disease? In the countries of Europe and the USA, at the slightest suspicion, they begin to examine children (regardless of age). In our case, up to 3 years, such a diagnosis is usually not solved. Mistakes happen very often, and the verdict on "autism" is passed on to healthy children.
Diagnostics is carried out by two main methods - according to the rating scale and special tests. But they are not accurate enough to make a correct diagnosis. Therefore, you should give a complete assessment of the health of the child, analyze the conditions in which he lives, how developed his mental abilities and communication skills, and whether the hearing is preserved.
What are the signs of a problem in a baby?
There is an expression: "If you are familiar with an autist, then you know only one autist." This means that all children who have this feature of the psyche are not similar to each other. Of course, they are united by detachment from the outside world and the rejection of social, verbal and other contacts, but this negativism manifests itself in its own way.
Yet it is crucial for parents to know if their child is autistic. At the same time they are looking for an answer to this question while the baby is in the cradle. Therefore, we call the most common signs of autism in children under 1 year of age, when speech skills are not yet formed and there is no play activity as such. This problem in infants may have such manifestations:
- lack of motor and speech reaction to the approach of the mother. The kid does not reach for her hands - it means that he does not want to enter into tactile contact with her;
- lack of babbling;
- very weak gestures;
- unnaturally calm behavior: the baby lies quietly in the arena and looks at one point;
- the child does not seek eye contact with mom and dad;
- does not smile in response to a smile, does not express emotions;
- when swaying or feeding, the baby is too amorphous or, on the contrary, very tense.
How to detect autism in a two year old child?
You can do this for the following symptoms:
- to show on some object, the child manipulates someone else’s hand instead of pointing it with a finger;
- the baby does not respond to his own name (which makes parents suspect he has deafness);
- excessive attachment to mother develops. If she leaves even for a short time, the baby reacts very emotionally;
- the child is frightened of quiet sounds and light movements, but shows indifference to strong stimuli;
- Repeated behavior is detected
- the kid performs rhythmic meaningless movements;
- the baby does not try to play with his peers, he is not interested in toys, but he can manipulate various objects for hours;
- limited interests are noted. A child loops on one toy or cartoon and watches it many times in a row every day.
There are other signs of autism in a child in 2 years. Mom will always be able to say for sure what exactly her baby does not look like other children of the same age.
Symptoms of autism at 3 years of age
Signs of autism in a 3-year-old child become even more pronounced - it is simply impossible not to notice them. The kid does not use pointing gestures. He is lagging behind in speech development: he cannot build meaningful meaningful sentences. However, sometimes it even outstrips the established norms, but then the kid suddenly becomes silent and can completely stop talking.
The child does not communicate with other children, he is not interested in their fun. He can manipulate some object for hours and is extremely dissatisfied if they try to tear him away from such an occupation. He has no facial expressions, may appear unnatural movements. He can not determine the purpose of the items. His stereotypical movements attract attention: rocking of the body, rotation of the head, wave of the arms. Often there is a sleep disorder. When studying a new toy, he tries to smell it, taste it, brings it very close to his eyes.
Autistic kids are not hopeless. The experience of Western countries shows that if you notice signs of autism in children under 2 years of age and to address it, then no one of their peers will even come to enroll in school that the child had such a problem. Special techniques have been developed that allow an autist to be returned "to the world of people and things." But parents will have to show tremendous restraint and perseverance.