The very word arugula sounds delicious. From it blows something southern and sunny. Under the exotic name hides a spicy salad. Arugula was used in cooking for a long time. Partly its spread contributed to the Mediterranean cuisine.
Arugula is an unusual plant. It belongs to the same family as radishes, cucumbers, cabbage. It is a salad. Some types of arugula grow in Russia and are considered a weed.. In other countries, the usual dishes can not be imagined without this salad. The leaves are added to risotto, pasta, and even pizza.
Arugula: Useful Properties
- Plant - a storehouse of nutrients. Arugula leaves have a high content of iodine, vitamin C. Salad has a tonic effect.. That is why it is called natural energy. Useful substances in the composition of arugula reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood, increase hemoglobin.
- It is often recommended to use the food of the leaves of this salad nursing mothers. The plant improves lactation.
- Another useful property of the plant is anti-inflammatory. For therapeutic purposes, juice is usually used. With its help, freckles are removed, it accelerates the healing of wounds, it is suitable for the treatment of callosities of bruising. Use and seed juice. It helps with various skin problems.
- The plant is excellent for the prevention of spring avitaminosis. Effects on digestion, antibacterial properties are explained by the presence of mustard oil, a large amount of acids, steroids in the leaves.
- By the way, in Rome, arugula was considered a plant of love. It was used as a natural aphrodisiac.
The plant is remarkable in that it has no specific contraindications. Negative consequences for the body can only be with individual intolerance. Therefore, if you have food allergies to some foods, it is better to eat a small amount of rocket and look at the reaction of the body.
Arugula is used in a huge number of dishes and when serving. It goes well with meat and fish, gives them a piquant taste. Salad leaves have a sharp taste and an unusual aroma.
In order not to spoil the dish with rocket it is necessary to know several features of cooking. Leaves do not cut with a knife. They are torn to pieces with their hands. This is due to the fact that rucola is so delicate that brownish traces of interaction with a knife blade can remain on the leaves.
To enhance the taste of green seasoning, you can use lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. It is enough to sprinkle them with greens.
Rucola should not be subjected to strong heat treatment.
The most delicious combinations with the leaves of this greenery imply the use of olive oil and parmesan cheese.-
Standard use of arugula - add it to the salad. However, it can be both vegetable and with many complex components.
Rocket salad with tomatoes
- Tomatoes - 250 gr.
- Arugula - 150 gr.
- White cheese - 200 gr.
- Olive oil - 3st.l.
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves
- Salt - to taste
- Balsamic vinegar - to taste
- Tomatoes cut into circles. Preheat the pan. Fry tomato circles in oil. After 3 minutes add chopped garlic, salt.
- Fry everything together for 2 minutes. The mixture is laid out in a plate. In the same frying pan lightly fried diced cheese.
- Arugula torn into pieces and spread on a dish. On top of the greens have tomatoes and cheese. Sprinkle top with balsamic vinegar.
- Salad with arugula and tomatoes ready!
- Arugula - 1 bunch
- Parmesan - 30-40 gr.
- Lemon juice
- Balsamic vinegar
- Little olive, salt - to taste
- First you need to make refueling. Mix lemon juice, vinegar, oil. Add the squeezed garlic, salt.
- Parmesan rub, arugula tear to pieces with your fingers. Put greens in a salad bowl and cheese on it. Pour all the dressing.
In addition to a large number of useful properties, arugula also has a low calorie content. Only 25 calories per 100 grams. allow you to safely add it to any dish, even during a strict diet. By the way, with the help of this salad you can lose weight remarkably. A similar effect of the plant is explained not only by low calorie content, but also by a special mechanism of influence on metabolism. Arugula accelerates metabolic processes in the body.
Arugula can not only be bought in the store, but also grown on its own window. The plant is so unpretentious that he needs only warm and regular watering. Grow rocket from seeds. At home, it is usually planted in March.
Arugula serves as an excellent seasoning for meat and fish dishes. It is impossible to imagine Italian cuisine without this green! Use the leaves of this plant for the preparation of salads, pizza, snacks, to give the food a unique Mediterranean flavor!