Advertising and the ability to buy drugs without a prescription played a bad joke with us. Many are self-medicating. This is especially true of cases that seem "frivolous." Well, who will go to the doctor with heartburn? Drank a pill - and you're done! But this may manifest reflux esophagitis. Symptoms and treatment of this disease require a separate discussion.
Reflux esophagitis: a threat that is underestimated
Under the medical term "reflux esophagitis" hides a chronic disease, which is characterized by such a phenomenon as a pathological discharge of the contents of the stomach into the esophagus. World medical statistics show that the disease is widespread among adults. Such a diagnosis has from 40 to 60% of people, and there is a persistent tendency to increase the number of cases.
Not everyone has yet fully realized the cunning of this ailment, and therefore they turn to doctors only when complications have appeared. In order not to start the disease, it is important to know everything about reflux esophagitis - the symptoms, causes, treatment, and the possible consequences of ignoring.
The disease in 80% of cases is chronic. In 60% of the treatment (if the disease is mild or moderate) is quite effective and has a favorable prognosis. Proper therapy for a long time prevents exacerbations. Complications occur in 8–20% of patients.
If the disease is not treated, then the development of dangerous states is possible: bleeding, anemia, asthma, laryngitis, irregular heart function, perforation of the walls and onculations in the esophagus.
Forms and stages
According to the type of flow, acute and chronic gastroesophageal reflux are distinguished. By the nature of the pathological lesion, it is classified as follows:
- catarrhal - the most common. It is characterized by pain along the esophagus, a lump in the throat, belching. If not treated, it transforms into edematous;
- erosive - erosions are formed on the walls of the esophagus;
- pseudomembranous - fibrinous exudate appears inside the esophagus;
- necrotic - the most difficult;
- phlegmonous - purulent-inflammatory process caused by the presence of a foreign object in the esophagus;
- distal - inflammation is localized in the lower third of the esophagus;
- biliary - bile is thrown into the stomach, and from there - into the esophagus. The patient feels bitter taste in the mouth, weakness, loses weight. He is worried about flatulence, upset stool, dry skin.
By severity, there are four stages - from 0 to 4. Zero is the easiest. In the first, superficial ulcers are found (less than 10% of the area), in the second erosion they take from 10 to 50% of the circumference of the esophagus, in the third - multiple ulcers, and at the last stage complications develop.
How reflux esophagitis manifests itself: disease masks
The main thing on the basis of which the primary diagnosis of reflux esophagitis is made is the symptoms. And the treatment, so that it is successful, should be started as early as possible, so the manifestation of the disease does not hurt everyone to know.
The disease often mimics other diseases, but its main symptom is heartburn. It occurs after a meal, and its main provocateurs are coffee, fatty and spicy foods, alcohol and eating piping hot dishes.
There are other symptoms of esophagitis. These include:
- belching sour or air;
- difficulty swallowing and discomfort (or pain) when moving food through the alimentary canal.
- Extraesophageal manifestations of the disease:
- pulmonary - bronchial obstruction (congestion in the bronchi of viscous mucus), nocturnal cough at night;
- cardiac - pain in the sternum (similar to pain with angina). But such sensations appear on the background of overeating and with the abuse of stinging spices;
- otolaryngological - rhinitis, pharyngitis (which is associated with the constant ingress of acidic gastric refluxate in the larynx);
- dental - the destruction of tooth enamel, multiple caries.
Given these diverse symptoms, patients look for the cause in other diseases, even not suggesting that reflux esophagitis is the cause of the illness. It is clear that treatment with the formulation of an erroneous diagnosis will not bring relief. Therefore, when the above symptoms appear, it is best to appear to a gastroenterologist.
How is the diagnosis?
To identify the disease, the doctor will ask the patient about the complaints and the duration of the disease. Special attention will be paid to the lifestyle and nutrition of the patient. Then the gastroenterologist will examine the patient's oral cavity (with reflux esophagitis, a white deposit is usually formed on the tongue). The next stage of the examination is palpation of the abdomen. This is necessary to exclude gastrointestinal disorders such as gastritis, pancreatitis, cholecystitis.
For accurate diagnosis and instrumental examinations are required, namely:
- fibroesophagogastroduodenoscopy - the study of the digestive tract with a fiber-optic probe with a camera. This is the main diagnostic method that allows you to see on the monitor the entire esophagus and part of the stomach. The procedure will also allow taking a piece of tissue for analysis;
- x-ray using a contrast agent (barium). Before the examination, the patient will be given a glass of white liquid. Then an X-ray image will be taken - it will show a noticeable pathological entry of barium into the esophagus canal;
- daily pH metry. The goal is to determine the acidity in the esophagus;
- esophagomanometry - a study of the contractile function of the lower digestive sphincter. For its implementation, catheters are inserted through the mouth or nasal passage. They measure the pressure in the lumen of the esophagus;
- chest x-ray.
What medicine will help: conservative methods of treatment
One of the factors influencing the choice of treatment strategy for a disease such as reflux esophagitis is symptoms. And the treatment (tablets) will include drugs that will eliminate both the manifestations and the cause of the disease. These include:
- dompiridon based prokinetics - Motilak, Motilium. These are medicines that help to improve the tone of the lower esophageal sphincter;
- antacids - Almagel. Assign to reduce acidity. If there is severe pain, then Almagel A is prescribed (not longer than 7 days);
- drugs that reduce the formation of gastric secretion - Famotidine, Omeprazole.
- Duration of drug exposure - from 4 to 6 weeks.
- When not to do without surgical care?
- For surgery resorted extremely rarely. It is required in such cases:
- if drugs are powerless;
- with the detection of esophageal strictures;
- if there is a possibility of esophageal cancer (as complications of esophagitis);
- with esophageal bleeding;
- if reflux provokes aspiration pneumonia.
The essence of the operation is that around the lower esophagus the surgeon forms a cuff. This stops the discharge of gastric secretion into the esophagus. Today, such an operation is performed with the gentle method of laparoscopy.
How to recover with the help of a diet?
In order not to have a long treatment, and even more so to have an operation, you should always pay attention to the signals that the reflux esophagitis gives (symptoms). And treatment (diet) in the initial stage of the disease can prevent the occurrence of relapses. To retreat ailment, exclude the following components from the menu:
- alcohol and soda;
- strong tea;
- smoked and fatty foods;
- pickles and preservation;
- ketchup and mayonnaise;
- chips and fast food;
- fried foods.
- The following dishes are allowed:
- low-fat milk, sour cream, cottage cheese;
- boiled eggs;
- wheat bread crackers;
- Beef Steam Cutlets;
- boiled fish;
- vegetables in boiled form.
What does the national first aid kit offer?
Supporters of alternative medicine, it is important to know not only how to manifest reflux esophagitis (symptoms), but also what is the treatment of folk remedies. It is useful to drink herbal infusions:
- from the leaves of plantain, motherwort, lemon balm, licorice root (all ingredients in 1 tbsp. l.);
- from chamomile and flax kernels (2 tbsp.).
Vegetable components are mixed, pour a 400-gram portion of boiling water. Keep in a water bath for 20 minutes, filter. Take 4 times a day for 1/2 Art.
Reflux Esophagitis: Symptoms and Treatment in Children - A Brief Overview
In small patients, the symptoms of the disease are the same: heartburn, pain when swallowing and when bending, belching, sometimes - hiccups and vomiting.
Children, as well as adults, are prescribed anacid (Maalox, Phosphalugel), Smecta is also used from drugs. To reduce the traumatic effect of gastric juice on the esophagus, Ranitidine and Famotidine are used. The prescription list also includes omeprazole, rabeprozole, and motilium. Based on the testimony, Gaviscon, Topaal may be appointed.
Of crucial importance is diet and postural therapy - food in an angle of 45 - 60 °.
Can Gastroesophageal Reflux Cure? Patient's Opinion
Although all the features of the disease reflux esophagitis (symptoms and treatment) are well studied, reviews show that therapy is not always successful. The disease returns again and again.
Maintain your condition all the time have drugs and diet. Also, patients are forced to try not to be nervous, not to carry weight and sleep on a high pillow.
If we summarize the feedback on the effectiveness, then we have to draw a disappointing conclusion: no patient was able to defeat this ailment completely without the help of the operation.
Due to the complexity of therapy, the issue of prevention is of paramount importance. In order not to earn such an unpleasant sore as gastroesophageal reflux, give up bad habits, eat properly, do not go to bed immediately after a hearty dinner and less nervous. Well, if the disease is still overtaken, then you should immediately go to the clinic for examination.