This situation is familiar to many people: you sleep in a serene sleep and suddenly you begin to feel a sharp pulling pain in your leg. Or in the morning, having unsuccessfully stretched, you encounter the same unpleasant sensations. If the convulsions are repeated several times, it is an occasion to wonder why the calves are reduced, what is the reason and what kind of treatment is needed.
Pulls legs? We must be examined!
It is difficult to find an adult who does not know what a calf muscle cramp is. Both men and women are familiar with her - and this is very painful! Despite the fact that muscle spasm usually lasts not too long and goes away by itself, the problem still deserves attention.
It is one thing if the cramp seized while bathing in cold water. Everything is clear: it is just a muscle reaction to hypothermia. But if the spasms recur regularly and you cannot find an explanation for this phenomenon, consult a doctor. Remember that this is not a harmless symptom: it occurs in some serious diseases.
Why does this happen?
Most often, calves legs at night. The cause of involuntary contractions of the limb muscles may be as follows:
- uncomfortable position during sleep, which causes legs to go numb;
- unbalanced nutrition. If the body loses magnesium, calcium and glucose as a result of the fact that a person is on a diet or just eating irrationally, then there is a shortage of sugar and electrolytes in the blood. It turns into night cramps;
- hormonal disbalance;
- kidney problems;
- heart failure;
- hypovitaminosis (lack of B-complex vitamins);
- excessive passion for spirits;
- constant exercise on the legs;
- chronic fatigue and lack of sleep;
- spinal diseases (osteochondrosis);
But not only at night - in the daytime, such trouble can also overtake. If it reduces calves at any time of the day, the reason may be associated with such diseases and peculiarities of a person’s lifestyle:
- varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, atherosclerosis of the vessels of the lower extremities;
- metabolic disorders;
- beginning Parkinson's disease (this is true for older people);
- prolonged stress;
- active consumption of caffeinated beverages;
- flat feet;
- wearing uncomfortable shoes;
- less commonly - brain tumors, spasmophilia, epilepsy, diabetes, diseases of the nervous system, infectious diseases that are asymptomatic.
Women's dilemma: be healthy or stay stylish?
Women of different ages often complain that they have calf legs at night. The first culprit seizures - varicose veins. The second reason, which is typical especially for the representatives of the weaker sex, is that during the day they burden their legs with too large loads: they walk in high heels, in narrow shoes, carry heavy bags. The appearance of cramps "helps" sedentary work and hypodynamia.
Most women have to endure pain due to cramps in their legs during pregnancy. Why is this happening? There are several reasons, the main ones are:
- weight gain;
- lack of vitamins that the body spends strenuously on the formation of the fetus;
- lack of magnesium;
- low hemoglobin, iron deficiency anemia;
- medication for edema (they have a diuretic effect and wash out valuable trace elements);
- inferior vena cava syndrome. It consists in the fact that the growing uterus begins to squeeze the vein when the woman lies on her back. This leads to poor circulation in the legs;
- chronic venous insufficiency. It is caused by the fact that during pregnancy the intensity of blood circulation increases in the pelvic organs;
- increased pressure on the vessels of the lower extremities;
- in some cases, seizures are a side effect of toxemia.
Why reduces calf muscles in men?
Men also suffer from leg cramps. They may have this due to high loads. Heavy physical labor, intensified exercise - all this can result in the appearance of muscle spasms in the limbs.
Dehydration caused by severe sweating can provoke a spasm. The body loses water, and along with it loses electrolytes and other important trace elements. Therefore, the risk of spasms increases in hot weather.
Representatives of the strong half of humanity may also find a shortage of substances that muscles need. Only it is due to harmful addictions - the abuse of coffee, nicotine, sugar. If a man consumes a lot of protein foods to get an athletic figure, then he is threatened with calcium deficiency. The body will report it with leg cramps.
What to do with it?
If at night wakes up cramp or she often worries during the day, you should find out the reason for this phenomenon. Therefore, make a visit to the clinic. But this is in perspective, but what to do at the moment when the leg is grabbed? To relieve pain and relieve muscle spasm, emergency measures can be taken:
- relax the limb as soon as possible;
- strain the sock and pull it towards you (you can help with your hands);
- put a foot on a cold surface;
- prick the calf muscle easily;
- take a contrast shower.
The main thing that determines the strategy of medical care, if the calves, - the cause of the problem. In severe cases, treatment may include antiepileptic drugs. If everything is not so bad, then in order to cure convulsions, you can buy the following drugs at the pharmacy: Asparkam, Panangin, Calcium D3, Magne-B6, Magnelis B6. From folk remedies helps crushed eggshell. It is drunk daily, mixed with 1 tsp. fish oil.
To legs were fine
Cramps in the legs will never ruin your life if you eat fully and regularly, every day you begin to do light leg workouts, refuse high heels and uncomfortable shoes, stop exposing your legs to too high loads and put your nerves in order.
Our health depends on behavior, lifestyle, nutrition. If something in the body is unbalanced, the organs and systems will fail. Therefore, the appearance of seizures is a problem of the whole organism, and not only of the lower extremities. The sooner you understand its causes, the easier it will be to get rid of such trouble.