Pyrantel is a simple and well-known drug based on the active substance of the same name, used in the case of ascariasis, ankylostoma, and enterobiosis. Anthelmintic drug has a mild effect on the body, acts instantly, is approved for use by children and adults.
How to take Pyrantel adults?
Given the fact that the drug is available in different forms, instructions for use and dosage are set out separately for each of them. As for convenience, everything is individual here: experts assume that it is better to give young children Pirantel in the form of an emulsion, and from 3-5 years old you can take pills. Each of the options is easy to pick up a certain dose, initially 1 tablet contains 250 mg of the active substance. The same applies to 5 ml of the emulsion.
- The classical dosage of tablets for an adult in the presence of pinworms or ascaris is calculated by weight. Reception should be single, while the course is usually only 1-3 days.
- For each kg of weight is taken 10 mg of the drug. For example, with a weight of 80 kg it is necessary to take 800 mg of Pirantel. These are 3 pills means (3 measures of emulsion).
- The tablets must be chewed or crushed before use and mixed with food. But mostly they are taken after meals, in the morning (after breakfast).
- During breastfeeding for the reception of Pirantel, the process is stopped, after the end of the administration they are resumed after 1-2 days. This time will be enough for the drug to be completely eliminated from the body and not passed with milk.
Note to parents
Reception of Pyrantel in children is divided not by weight, but by age. It is important to know that babies under the age of 6 months. Not allowed any of the options Pirantel, with 6 months. You can drink the emulsion, and from 3 years - pills. Acceptance of any form is carried out with meals (experts advise to do this in the morning).
- The emulsion for a child under 2 years of age should not exceed 2.5 ml in dosage and can be reduced in premature babies and toddlers with underweight.
- A child aged 2 to 6 years old give 5 ml of Pirantel once.
- 3-year-old child, you can start taking Pirantel tablets. Dosage - 1 tablet once.
- A child over 6 years old can be given 10 ml of emulsion, or 2 tablets.
- After 12 years, the child approaches the adult dose: 15 ml of the emulsion or 3 tablets once.
- Pay attention to the principle of the use of pills: in order to increase the effectiveness of therapy, they must be chewed diligently, and after taking an enema or an additional laxative. However, the gap between them should be 2 hours: this will contribute to the conclusion of the destroyed helminths.
What you need to know about taking "Pirantel"?
For the prevention of Pyrantel drink very rarely, because the drug has an active effect, and also often gives side effects that should not be called without need. But if you are plagued by serious suspicions about the presence of parasites, you can use the following scheme:
- 5 mg per kg of net weight drink once, repeat reception after 21 days. It is equally effective for the prevention of infection with pinworms, and for the prevention of ascariasis.
In addition, it should be remembered that in case of hypersensitivity of the body, even the norm of the drug will be perceived as an overdose, which can cause side effects. To eliminate them, gastric lavage is used.
- The possible reaction of the body to Pirantel: headache, nausea and vomiting, dyspepsia, weakness, dizziness, rash, fever.
Before you start taking Pirantel, you need to find out what parasites the infection occurred - it is quite possible that they do not fall under the spectrum of the drug. In addition, the tool is not recommended for people with liver failure.
When infecting with helminths, it is necessary, along with taking medications, to carry out a general cleaning of the entire house with disinfectants, to wash and iron all linen, towels, bedding. If you have pets, they must be treated for parasites, even if there is no apparent need for this, as a preventive measure. It is also important to remember that the best remedy for helminth infection is prevention. It involves careful personal hygiene, both for adults and children.