The appearance of a familiar prune began with the ordinary desire of a person to increase the shelf life of delicious berries, which are especially lacking in winter. After some time, prunes have firmly won their own place on the table, becoming a full-fledged product and an indispensable ingredient for many dishes.
Officially, prunes are called dried fruit, which is obtained by drying the fruits of the Hungarian plum. If we talk about its benefits, it is worth mentioning that it belongs to the most harmless delicacy for the body. Its beneficial properties are well known to dietitians, as is the possible harm that any product may have, especially if it is used improperly. In order to make the right decision, whether or not prunes, first you need to learn more about what it is really useful and harmful.
The composition of prunes
Prunes remain for many years the most favorite dried fruit. Its extraordinary benefit lies in the abundance of valuable vitamins and substances that make up its composition.
Pectin and plant substances, organic acids, iron, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium are found in it. It exceeds the banana in the content of potassium in 1.5 p. It contains a whole complex of vitamins - PP, A, C and group B, glucose, sucrose and fructose.
The energy value of 100 g of prunes is 231 kcal. It contains potassium hydrotartrate, which helps stop the development of microbes in the oral cavity. Dentists claim that using it regularly helps reduce the risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
The benefits of prunes for the body
- First of all, it is worth saying that replacing the usual dessert with prunes, the body can be provided with substances that are necessary for vitality and maintain immunity. He is very fond of nutritionists and used in the treatment of many diseases, and a huge benefit is the large amount of antioxidants. These elements are necessary for regulating the composition of the intracellular substance and maintaining the healthy work of every cell in the body.
- Eating prunes every day helps relieve constipation. In its effects, this dried fruit is similar to a laxative of moderate strength. But it will not only help with constipation, but will also be useful for the entire gastrointestinal tract, gently cleansing the body.
- In addition, prunes are indispensable for the prevention of diseases of the cardiovascular system. In folk medicine, it is used to lower blood pressure and is recommended for those who are trying to follow the weight. Due to dietary properties, it quickly eliminates the extra 2-3 kg.
- It is proved that the use of prunes before a meal allows you to quickly reach saturation with a smaller amount of food. It is very satisfying, quickly satisfies hunger, so it is great for a snack. It has the ability to inhibit the growth of such dangerous microorganisms as E. coli and Salmonella. For this reason, can be used to extend the freshness of the meat.
- Prunes have a beneficial effect on blood pressure, normalizing it, increases efficiency, fights against diseases of the oral cavity, cancer and produces a rejuvenating effect. It is very useful in avitaminosis and anemia.
- Prunes are distinguished by the presence of antibacterial properties, which is why it is recommended for use in infectious diseases instead of chemicals. In addition to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, it is able to get rid of any discomfort. He also has a diuretic and choleretic action, cleansing the body.
- Its regular use significantly reduces the risk of stomach diseases and hypertension. It helps to normalize the metabolism, improve the overall condition of the body. If you need to follow a diet to recuperate, nutritionists recommend including prunes in the diet, which helps improve appetite.
But with all the virtues of this dried fruit is not useful to everyone. To get involved in them with diabetes and obesity is not worth it. Nursing mothers, too, should not abuse the dried fruit, as it can cause colic and indigestion in babies.
Harm prunes directly related to its misuse. It is not as high in calories as other sweets, but its large amount can provoke certain problems. Consumption of more than 5 berries per day is undesirable because drying, which the Hungarian variety is subjected to draining, leads to an increase in sugar, vitamins and trace elements that make up its composition. Before use in food, it must be thoroughly washed or soaked in warm water.
How to choose prunes?
Useful properties of prunes, first of all, depend on its quality. Therefore, it is necessary to approach carefully the choice of dried fruit. High-quality prunes should be black, sweet, not bitter and have a slight acidity. To make the right choice, you need to soak it in water for 30 minutes, high-quality - in some places it should turn white. If dark gray color remains unchanged, then it is treated with glycerin. He can shine from any other fat.
Also, dried fruit with a coffee tint will not work, because it indicates that it is scalded with boiling water and there are almost no vitamins left in it. This will give it a bitter taste. Prunes, which are dried together with the stone, are distinguished by a large number of useful substances.
To date, customers are offered a huge amount of a variety of dried fruits. But, despite such a choice, prunes stand out among their beneficial properties. Unusual taste and use made it very popular all over the world. Prunes rightfully belong to the most delicious delicacies, but it requires proper use, since its excessive consumption can be harmful.