In scientific terms, the name of a sunflower sounds like "flower of the sun". This plant was "civilized" in the III. BC e. the ancient indians of mexico. In Europe, the sunflower was much later - only in the 16th century. Peter I. brought this plant to Russia. The benefits and harms of sunflower seeds are well studied and proven. There are many myths about this product. Let's try to figure out which of them are fiction, and which are really true.
Is there any benefit from a bad habit?
Sunflower seeds can reasonably be considered one of the varieties of national Russian food. Some "fans" of this product are ready to click the seeds from morning to evening, like husking is considered a bad habit. What benefits does this hobby bring to the body?
Consider the positive properties of sunflower seeds. Besides the fact that the clicking of the seeds helps drivers not to fall asleep at the wheel, the use of such a natural product can improve health, namely:
- reduce the amount of bad cholesterol. This is facilitated by the presence in the seeds of such components as fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E) and polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- reduce appetite. If before you sit down at the table, eat a portion of seeds, then the desire to eat tight immediately disappears. Dieticians paid attention to this unique quality and included this product in many diets;
- normalize the acid-base balance in the body, since sunflower seeds contain protein (25%) and carbohydrates (35%);
- improve the appearance of the hair, skin condition, strengthen the nails. This effect provides the use of seeds due to the presence of a large number of different vitamins;
- protect against heart attack, hypertension and atherosclerosis. Such a preventive effect seeds are required to amino acids contained in their composition;
- relieve stress and irritation. The process of clicking seeds calms the nerves and suppresses anxiety.
Sunflower seeds are rich in magnesium, its amount is 6 times higher than the reserves of this substance, which are contained in rye bread. Seeds can also supply calcium. The kernels of these grains contain as much calcium as sour cream or yogurt.
Separately, it is worth noting the benefits of sunflower seeds for women. Components of this product, such as magnesium, zinc and iron, promote women's health, help to normalize blood pressure and strengthen the immune system. Manganese contained in seeds, is involved in the processes of blood formation and functioning of the sex glands.
The reverse side of the useful product - the harm of seeds
It makes no sense to say that such a product should not be used for breakfast, lunch and dinner. From such a diet is unlikely to be of great benefit, and the damage to sunflower seeds with daily use in large quantities can cause considerable.
First, let's talk about the shape. Lovers click on the seeds at risk after a short time to find that they can not get into your favorite jeans. And all because those are high-calorie foods. In half a cup of sunflower seeds there are as many calories as in a chocolate bar or 2 portions of rice porridge! If you “crackle” a glass of seeds, the body will receive as many calories as a portion of pork shashlik.
Sunflower has another amazing feature. This plant takes all the components from the soil indiscriminately - both useful and harmful. Therefore, you should use only those seeds that grew in environmentally friendly places. Sunflower seeds can contain a very dangerous substance for humans - cadmium.
The truth about roasted seeds: the benefits and harm!
Most sunflower lovers consume this product in a roast. What is useful sunflower seeds after heat treatment? They are far from being so rich in healing ingredients as raw grains. However, the antioxidants contained in them can somewhat slow down the aging process. Seeds retain their prophylactic abilities, maintaining normal heart muscle.
The cons of fried seeds are much more than pluses. If time does not get rid of a bad habit, then the enamel on the teeth may deteriorate. Often there is another dental problem - tartar.
To the beneficial properties of sunflower seeds have not disappeared, do not fry them for too long, and even better - just dry in the oven. In no case should not use overdone seeds. They form carcinogenic substances, which, if regularly injected into the body, can trigger the appearance of malignant tumors.
If you husk the seeds not with your hands, but with your teeth, then dust from the peel can be in the mouth. This can lead to poisoning or stomatitis.
Home-made snacks: roasting seeds in a griddle, oven and microwave
In order not to wonder whether sunflower seeds, brought from the store or from the market, are useful, it is better to prepare such “food” at home. To do this, you can use a conventional cast iron pan. To sunflower seeds evenly roasted, it is worth using the following secret: pour the seeds in a thin layer. Some grease the pan with oil, others prefer to fry on a dry surface.
Cooking fried sunflower seeds in a pan:
- The pan should be heated well on high heat.
- Reduce the intensity of the fire (to medium).
- Wash the seeds.
- Pour the seeds into a preheated frying pan.
- Fry (stirring with a wooden spoon) for 5 to 15 minutes.
To determine the degree of readiness of seeds, you can look at the color of the core - ideally, it should be cream.
The taste of seeds cooked in the oven will be somewhat unusual. But since this method allows you to save more valuable components in the grains, you should try it.
Cooking seeds in the oven:
- Wash the seeds in a colander.
- Lay out in 1 layer on a baking sheet.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the seeds in the oven.
- In the process of frying, be sure to stir.
Those who have a microwave oven in the kitchen can offer a quick way to cook roasted seeds.
Cooking in the microwave:
- Wash unpeeled seeds thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the seeds with a little vegetable oil. If you like the taste of salted grains, then you can sprinkle them with salt.
- Pour a portion of the seeds in a microwave dish. The thickness of the layer should be no more than 3 cm.
- Put the container with the seeds in the oven. Turn on the microwave at full power.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the oven, mix.
- Fry 2 more times for 1 minute on medium power.
If the sample shows that the seeds are not ready yet, then you can hold them in the microwave for another couple of minutes.
How to choose raw and roasted seeds?
Choose seeds for home cooking should be carefully. Experts say that the most delicious delicacy is obtained from medium-sized “bellied” grains. After roasting, they will be sweet and oily.
It is not necessary to acquire raw and raw seeds. If among them comes a lot of empty, spoiled, then such a product is also better not to buy. Dirty seeds, in which trash comes across, are also not suitable for making delicious snacks.
Choosing ready-made roasted seeds is a difficult task. Manufacturers are trying to provide their products enticing inscriptions. "Large", "delicious", "selective", "homemade" - which epithets can not be found on a pack of seeds! In fact, all these words will not inform the buyer about the quality of the product. Be sure to check the expiration date, the integrity of the packaging and who is the manufacturer of the goods.
What is prepared from seeds?
There are many recipes for salads, pastries, sweets and main dishes, which include seeds. The most popular are kozinaki and halva.
For lovers of exotic flavors, we offer the recipe of potato dumplings with seeds.
- 50 g seeds (without husk);
- 8-10 potatoes;
- 200 g of cottage cheese.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- onions - 1 pc .;
- sour cream - ½ st .;
- Mix grated potatoes, cottage cheese and seeds.
- Blind small dumplings.
- Cook in salted water for about 10 minutes. Dip the dumplings in boiling water.
- Put the dumplings on a plate, pour the sauce.
Seeds can be sprinkled with buns and pies, add to salads. Vegetarians put them in borscht. Famous chefs use peeled seeds for breading meat and fish.
Beauty enclosed in sunflower seeds
If the question of whether sunflower seeds are useful as food is still controversial, then cosmetologists have long adopted this natural product. Since it contains vitamins and trace elements, it is an indispensable tool in getting rid of acne.
Crushed grains of sunflower are used for the preparation of therapeutic masks, scrubs, creams. A special component - vitamin B1, which is rich in seeds, has a rejuvenating effect.
A scrub of seeds can be made at home; its effectiveness will be no worse than the tools offered by shops and salons.
Face Scrub Recipe
- peeled sunflower seeds - 150 g;
- sour cream of high fat content - 70 g
- To grind sunflower seeds to a porridge state.
- Add sour cream to the mass of sunflower seeds.
- Mix the scrub components.
- Use 2 times a week.
- Keep refrigerated.
Such a natural remedy will make your skin velvety and healthy!
If you like sunflower seeds, then gnaw them on health. But do not forget that the benefits and harms of sunflower seeds depend on how many grains will be eaten. To saturate the body with nutrients enough 100 g of seeds a day.