The feet of an adult and a child are completely different. At birth, the baby is flat, but this does not mean that the toddler has flat feet since birth. The fact is that during growth, the foot undergoes a series of metamorphoses, like the child’s spine. By a certain age, it becomes a full-fledged and functional part of the musculoskeletal system. Even if the baby’s flat-footedness has yet formed, it is undoubtedly pleased with the fact that timely diagnosed pathology and treatment will lead to a quick and complete recovery.
Child's foot development: why does flatfoot form?
From the moment of birth of the child, in the arch of the foot, there is a fatty layer, which will begin to collapse only at the moment when the crumb begins to walk. Already by the age of three, one can notice the formation of foot outlines that will be similar to an adult. The child begins to strengthen the muscles, ligaments and bones of the foot. Due to this, babies can run so quickly and actively and for quite a long time not rest. The older the child becomes, the more noticeable the arches of the foot become, the legs become stronger.
Flat feet can be formed in cases where the formation and development of the foot is exposed to any pathological effects and failures occur in these processes. But even if the child has not formed flat feet, there is not any guarantee that it will not appear at an older age.
How to identify pathology?
Most often, flatfoot is detected on a routine examination by a doctor, in preschool institutions or when entering school. As a rule, a certain test is carried out - plantography, when the child’s feet are smeared with a certain coloring solution, and they are asked to stand on clean paper sheets. Because of this, it turns out a clear footprint, the analysis of which can be concluded about the presence or absence of flatfoot.
But this method of research has some errors, and works best with adults, because sometimes errors can be made, and the age characteristics of the foot can be mistaken for pathology.
Parents should pay attention to the emergence of symptoms such as a child’s club foot, which is one of the hallmarks of valgus flatfoot in children. Most often, the cause of this pathology is muscle weakness, as a result, the child simply cannot hold the foot in the correct position.
In addition, the attack of the baby on the inner surface of the foot when walking can be considered an alarming sign. At the same time, the gait suffers greatly, and such a symptom is simply impossible not to notice. With the appearance of one of these symptoms, it is necessary to get to a consultation with an orthopedist as soon as possible to prevent flatfoot in a child.
What could be the causes of flatfoot?
Before talking about effective prevention, it is necessary to find out the cause that led to flatfoot. Very rare, literally exceptional, can be called cases when it is a congenital pathology.-
- For children, quite a few reasons for the development of flat-footedness are characteristic, and scientists who have conducted a number of studies have concluded that it is recorded 3 times more often in those babies who constantly wear shoes. When children, who spent most of their time barefoot, get sick much less often. It turns out that the most harmonious and correct foot will develop in free conditions.
- In addition, the formation of flatfoot will be greatly influenced by the load. So, if a child is inactive and mobile, then the risk of developing the disease increases significantly, which is especially important today. Most children, and especially teenagers, prefer to sit at home at the computer. In this case, it will register not only flat feet, but also other pathologies of the musculoskeletal system.
- To provoke flat feet can and shoes, which the baby is constantly wearing. All children's shoes must meet certain requirements - have a rigid back, soft instep support and have a small heel, literally half a centimeter. The instep allows you to compensate for the lack of irregularities or stones. It is not necessary to give the child to wear someone else's shoes, there is a big risk that the load on the foot will be incorrectly distributed.
- In addition, the growing children's leg requires regular training. The best workout is walking barefoot. It is extremely important and useful for the child to walk barefoot on uneven surfaces - stones, stones, grass, etc. At the same time, the crumb can remain in socks.
Prevention of flatfoot in children: features
All preventive measures will be aimed at combating the main causes of the development of this pathology. Initially, parents should pay attention to the shoes that a crumb is wearing, and create all the conditions so that the child runs barefoot as often as possible.
Since the main reason for the development of flatfoot is the lack of the necessary load on the foot of the child, it is difficult to do without special medical gymnastics and massage.
Physical therapy for flatfoot or its prevention is the basis of preventive treatment. Thanks to these simple exercises, the muscles and ligaments of the foot get the necessary load and fully develop. Massage as well as physical culture, allows you to stimulate blood circulation and bring the muscles and ligaments of the foot to the desired state.
The complex of effective exercises
Exercises for the prevention of flatfoot literally elementary, and few people think about their effectiveness. This set of exercises is familiar to everyone from preschool institutions, because the prevention of flatfoot in kindergarten is of paramount importance.
Modern exercise therapy specialists offer a certain set of exercises, which consists of 6 basic elements. Performing such a gymnastics will significantly reduce the likelihood of flatfoot.
- First of all, the child should be offered to resemble on socks, after on the heels, after on the inside and outside of the foot. This set of exercises can be performed as part of the morning gymnastics.
- After standing in one place it is necessary to carry out rolls - to rise on toes, roll on heels, then again on toes. Repeating such exercises requires several approaches, it will be enough 3 - 5.
- One of the most favorite exercises of children is walking the "duck step", and squatting on socks. In addition, a very interesting exercise will be picking up small objects from the floor with fingers of toes, the child should sit in a children's chair or gymnastics shop. One alternative that can also be combined is toe painting. Pencil, felt-tip pen, you need to hold between your toes and try to draw, write something.
- The final exercise is walking on a rope, or a plastic stick, added step, in a lateral position. In this case, the stick / rope should be placed strictly in the middle.
The most common causes of flatfoot formation in children are the presence of abnormal shoes and lack of exercise. When buying shoes, parents should be more attentive. Ideally, it is necessary to buy it at authorized stores with high-quality goods. In addition, the second reason is the lack of load, and it will be difficult to do without special gymnastics and other preventive measures. Many mothers make special stimulating mats for their babies, but in the summer it is best to let the little one run barefoot, especially on vacation, at sea - along the sand with shells and large / small pebbles.