Sodium benzoate is a compound of benzoic acid, which is actively used in the food industry as a preservative. The substance is registered under the code E 211 as a food additive permitted in the CIS countries and Europe. At the same time, this the strongest carcinogen - a substance that causes cancer.
Just a few years ago, the Internet, newspapers, magazines, television - everyone began to repeat the dangers of food additives. People seeking to maintain their health have become choose products more carefully carefully studying their composition for the presence of components labeled "E". In spite of the fact that substances that are completely safe can be hidden under this letter, nutritional supplements still require special attention.
Flavors, dyes, thickeners and other "chemistry", of course, are more or less harmful. But for the human body the maximum danger are preservatives, especially E 211.
Properties preservative E211
In 1875, the scientist Hugo Fleck first described benzoic acid. In search of an alternative to salicylic acid, he received a similar substance with strong preservative properties. But the widespread use of sodium benzoate at that time was impossible, since it had not yet been learned to produce on an industrial scale. Since then, much has changed. The industrial boom in the use of the preservative E 211 began in the first half of the 20th century, and to our time has disappeared. Scientists in many countries are now looking for an alternative to benzoic acid due to its high toxicity.
The essence of the preservative effect of sodium benzoate is that inhibits the development of yeast and mold fungi and inhibits cellular enzymes responsible for redox reactions, and enzymes that promote the breakdown of fats and starch. The problem is that the same impact preservative E 211 It has on the cells of our body, causing them to irreversible disastrous reactions.
Bactericidal propertiesE 211 additives are used in medicine and in the manufacture of hygiene products (shampoos, toothpastes, shower gels). Interesting that benzoic acid used in the aviation industry to protect aluminum parts and electroplating. The screeching sound effect that we hear during fireworks is also due to sodium benzoate.-
Low price, large-scale production and inconspicuous taste of the preservative E 211 made it one of the most popular food additives in the world. Meet the additive E 211 can be part of almost any ready-made food. Most often it is preserves, mayonnaise and various sauces, margarine, caviar, some sweets, carbonated drinks.
Benzoic acid contained in natural products, for example, cinnamon, cloves, raisins, apples, cranberries. But do not rush to give them up. Scientists believe that benzoic acid in organic form is completely safe for health, unlike its synthetic counterpart.
Harm preservative E 211
- Greatest harmfor the body represents combination supplement E 211 and vitamin C (sometimes labeled as E 300). The interaction of these components produces benzene - extremely dangerous carcinogen! Even in small quantities with frequent use, it causes chronic toxicity of the body, symptoms of which are nausea and dizziness.
- Benzene disrupts the structure of the DNA cells, affecting the development of congenital genetic diseases. is he promotes the development of cancer cells, especially often becoming the cause of leukemia. The use of sodium benzoate can lead to serious disorders of the liver. The preservative E 211 can also cause anemia (lack of hemoglobin).
- Often, even with a single use of the supplement E 211 are possible allergic reactions, especially in people prone to allergies.
- In Europe, research is currently being conducted in which they are trying to prove harmful effects of preservative E 211 in combination with some food dyes. According to scientists, the combination of these substances can influence the behavior of children causing hyperactivity, and also significantly reduce their intelligence.
How to protect against the harmful effects of the preservative E 211?
- Carefully study the composition of products. Try to choose those on the labels which will be written "without preservatives." Such products are more expensive, but your health is more important!
- remember, that in products with a long shelf life is always preservatives added.
- Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, as they are often sprayed with preservatives for greater safety. You can soak these products in water for 10-15 minutes to remove chemical deposits or peel them.
- More often cook at home for themselves and their loved ones, avoiding the use of convenience foods and store sauces.
Keeping these simple rules will help to preserve your health and the health of your loved ones for many years. Be healthy!