Ultrasound examination of the urinary system is carried out in the presence of a patient of certain complaints and helps the doctor to establish the diagnosis accurately. To date, this method is considered the most informative. Who should be prescribed the procedure and how should the preparation for the ultrasound of the kidney in women be prepared? We will reveal the answers to these questions in our article.
Before proceeding to the direct study of how to prepare for an ultrasound of the kidneys, first let's find out why it is necessary at all. Many believe that clear and compelling reasons are needed for the procedure. In fact, the doctor may prescribe a diagnosis in the presence of such patient complaints, such as:
- Pulling or sharp pains in the lumbar spine, occurring on a regular basis.
- High blood pressure, which does not decrease even after taking special medications.
- The presence in the urine of impurities and blood clots, changing its color and smell.
- Complete absence of urine or painful urination.
- Increased body temperature, fever and chills, weakness.
- Swelling of the limbs and abdominal region.
- Pain on palpation of the abdomen, kidneys and ureters.
- Sensation of dry mouth, complete or partial rejection of food intake, constant thirst.
All these signs directly or indirectly indicate disturbances in the work of the urinary system, which ultrasound allows to reveal. In addition, newborns up to the age of one year and people with certain chronic pathologies of the kidneys, bladder and adrenal glands regularly undergo ultrasound.
We go to the survey
Usually, when prescribing an ultrasound scan of the abdomen and kidneys, the doctor tells you how to prepare for the procedure. But, unfortunately, not all clinics, this practice has become a habit. In connection with the employment or the large influx of patients, the doctor can simply forget to clarify this detail.
In order not to spend the days before the research in vain, it is recommended to adhere to a number of generally accepted rules:
- Three days before the appointed day, you need to completely revise your diet and give preference to alkaline foods.
- It is not recommended to eat before the procedure, but if the study is scheduled for the afternoon or evening, you can eat lean fish or a piece of rye bread.
- A few hours before the procedure, it is recommended to drink activated carbon at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kilogram of weight.
- If there is no disruption of the digestive tract, then emptying the intestines will be enough in the evening or directly in the morning on the day of the procedure.
- As for clothes, wear any convenient things for you. But think in advance that it will be easier to tuck in and it is not a pity to get dirty if something happens.
- If an ultrasound examination is performed in a normal, rather than a private clinic, it is recommended that you come with your towel and grab a pack of wet wipes to remove the gel residue after the ultrasound.
- Check with your doctor about how the study will be conducted, and if it is transrectal, then an enema will be necessary 2-3 days before the procedure.
Very often, the same procedure is prescribed for the bladder along with ultrasound of the kidneys. How to prepare in this case? The rules are exactly the same, but the bladder itself must be full. To do this, you should refrain from going to the toilet or drink 2-3 glasses of water immediately 2-3 hours before the test.
Principles of nutrition before diagnosis
As you have already understood, in order to properly prepare for an ultrasound of the kidneys, you need to stick to a certain diet for a while. There is nothing difficult in this, and you do not have to run to the store for delicacies, and it will be enough only to reduce the consumption of protein foods and poorly digestible fiber.
- buckwheat, barley or oatmeal on water;
- steamed or boiled dietary meat;
- light and soft cheese, for example, feta;
- minced meat dishes cooked exclusively steamed;
- 1 boiled boiled chicken eggs in a day;
- rye bread or rolls on the basis of seeding;
- fish with white meat.
At the time of preparation for ultrasound will have to deny yourself the consumption of such products:
- fried foods;
- dairy products;
- smoked products and homemade preserves;
- fresh fruits and vegetables in the raw;
- all types of cabbage;
- sweet and floury;
- carbonated drinks.
Such a diet will need to comply with at least 2-3 days.
How to prepare for ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder, in addition to the diet? In the normal functioning of the body, there is nothing more to be done, in principle, but with a large accumulation of gas in the intestine, you will need to additionally take some medications:
- With obstruction or frequent constipation in the evening, it is advisable to do an enema before examining the intestines. Use the simple and inexpensive microclyster "Mikrolaks" or its analogs, for example, "Norgalaksom."
- To cleanse the intestines, you can also use glycerin suppositories or laxatives.
- After each meal, you can drink special sorbents. Such drugs include "Espumizan", activated carbon, "Smekta".
In addition to these drugs, for better digestion, you can drink pills "Mezim", "Festal", "Pancreatin".
If additional examination is necessary
Ultrasound of the kidneys is rarely carried out without examination of other adjacent organs. The doctor tries to immediately see and reveal the general picture of the work of the entire urinary system. Therefore, an examination of the adrenal glands is often prescribed along with an ultrasound of the kidneys. How to prepare in this case?
Preparation for this type of diagnosis should include all the same points as for a conventional ultrasound. Keeping to a diet, avoiding a certain type of food, and a full bladder are fundamental factors. However, in some cases, a specialist may say that training is not required, then it is better to adhere to his recommendations.
In any case, the correct preparation for the procedure is required regardless of the pre-established diagnosis. Timely detection of the disease is the first and important step on the road to recovery. I wish you success!