The availability of food in the store so spoiled us that we no longer buy what was always stored in the kitchen cabinets of our grandmothers. Let's talk about milk powder, the benefits and harms of which are simply forgotten today. But before, this particular product was used in recipes and often came to the rescue in difficult times.
Have you ever thought about what you will do if suddenly there is no habitual fresh cow milk for us on the shelves? Probably not, because to imagine such a situation in the modern world is quite difficult. But the inhabitants of Eastern Siberia, where fresh products are equated to luxury, invented a great way to replace cow's milk as early as the 18th century. By prolonged freezing, the local craftsmen were able to make it soluble powder, which is stored longer, and practically does not lose useful properties.
For the modern person living in the center of the metropolis, milk powder is a common product of chemical production. It is believed that it is made by mixing a special powder with preservatives, which can not bring benefits to the body. However, in fact, dried milk, which we see on the shelves of the supermarket, has preserved the traditions of Siberians in its production. The only difference is that the extinction was replaced by desiccation, when the contents of the cow's udder are heat-treated.
As for the composition of such milk, the effect of high temperatures has practically no effect on the number of vitamins and essential macronutrients. Of course, in a dry product there are several of them less than in natural whole milk, but the difference is not significant. In dry milk, plenty of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, sulfur and vitamins, especially group B.
The ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates provides for dry milk a caloric content of almost 470 Kcal, which is 10 times higher than the energy value of a living product with 1% fat. It is not surprising that with such a composition, milk powder can be safely used as a replacement for a fresh product:
- Its particular benefit lies in the huge concentration of calcium, which, in turn, is involved in the strengthening of teeth, nails and bone skeleton.
- Athletes use dry weight to build muscle. This is a great alternative to chemical proteins.
- Recovered milk is recommended for people suffering from diabetes and gastroenterological diseases, as it contains the minimum lactose content.
- Vegetarians can also find their favor in this product. Vitamin B12 contained in milk is similar to that found in meat.
- Another obvious advantage is that heat treatment kills all bacteria and E. coli.
- And due to the presence of phenylalanine and tryptophan in it, it is believed that dried milk can improve mood, improve sleep quality and eliminate headaches.
In favor of the thermally processed product is the fact that milk powder is often included in the formula for feeding babies and feeding newborns.
You should know it!
The negative consequences of the use of a dry product are identical to those that occur after drinking fresh whole milk:
- First of all, the quality of the goods will depend on the source material. If the cows fed on poor-quality grass or chemicals were added to the food, then their concentration in dry milk will be much higher than normal.
- Also, a dry product will not be a solution for people with lactose intolerance. Of course, after heat treatment it will become much less, however, lactose cannot be completely destroyed in this way.
- Do not overly fond of this product and the elderly. A sufficiently high calcium content is not the most favorable effect on the deposition of salts and the softness of the articular cartilage.
There is one more thing to consider when buying. Often on the shelves you can find soy milk powder, the benefits and harm of which will be quite different. It is produced not from cow raw materials, but from vegetable fats of soy origin. And according to recent studies, soy promotes the formation of cancer cells and adversely affects men's health. Therefore, if there is a choice, it is better to buy a product released on the basis of pasteurized cow's milk.
Use in cooking
Powdered milk is often used in cosmetology for the production of masks, shampoos and hair conditioners. But the most widespread product was in the field of culinary sciences. When added to desserts and pastries, it provides a dense texture and pleasant aftertaste. A cream for the cake, prepared on the basis of milk powder, can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time without loss of quality.
Very often, milk powder is used as the basis for the preparation of a reducing fermented milk drink, for example, kefir or ryazhenka. Pasteurized milk with the addition of a dry ingredient can be found in the store, but such a product loses some of its beneficial properties.
At home you can make cottage cheese from powdered milk, the benefits of which are not inferior to a natural product per gram, and at the same time it does not bear any harm to the body. On the contrary, homemade cheese prepared according to this recipe often has a pleasant caramel color and a sweet aftertaste.
Talk about the benefits of powdered milk can be almost infinite. Of course, the thermal product is somewhat inferior in its qualities to natural cow's milk, but it will become an indispensable assistant in the kitchen. And most importantly - its use is no worse, and in some cases even better than a fresh counterpart. Be healthy and drink milk with pleasure!