Pomegranate is an extremely appetizing fruit, but to an amateur in some way, since it is impossible to use its juicy, ruby-red grains without stones, and not everyone likes them. In addition to the fact that the bones can get stuck in the gaps between the teeth, and simply do not please with their bitterness, there are many disputes regarding their effects on the body. Is it possible to eat pomegranate with pits or is it better to switch to eating pomegranate juice with pulp?
What are the beneficial properties of pomegranate seeds?
The most important property of pomegranate, which has been used since ancient times, is its ability to stop bleeding, as well as to improve the chemical composition of blood, increasing the level of hemoglobin. It is for this reason that pomegranate juice is an obligatory product on the table for people with anemia, and should also be included in the diet of women during the menstrual cycle with large blood loss, can be offered to patients after taking a comprehensive blood test. Moreover, the maximum effect can be felt only if there is a squeeze out of the seeds in the juice, or when using fresh grains.
- Fiber, which is contained in all products of the vegetable group, is concentrated in the fruit of this fruit in the pits: its task is not only to fill the stomach with the purpose of prolonged satiation, but also to improve the intestinal function and cleanse it. This type of fiber is not digested, so it basically works as a “broom”, and also speeds up the digestive process for “following” products.
- Pomegranate stones are useful for women not only during the menstrual cycle, but also during hormonal jumps, especially during menopause, for which polyunsaturated fatty acids and tocopherol are responsible. They also allow to improve the condition of the skin and hair, strengthen the walls of blood vessels, reduce the level of harmful cholesterol, thereby lowering the likelihood of plaque. These same acids are involved in the synthesis of steroids.
- Speaking about cholesterol, one should focus on beta-systosterol: this element is a cholesterol antagonist, therefore it actively prevents the absorption of the latter into the intestinal wall.
- Eastern medicine is of the opinion that, with regular use, pomegranate stones not only improve, but also restore potency, and prevent prostatitis.
- Pomegranate seeds also contain a number of amino acids that are absent from the other products of the plant group, since they mainly belong to protein foods. For vegetarians, pomegranate is highly valued primarily because of the ability to compensate for the deficiency of these amino acids.
- The benefit of pomegranate stones can be felt not only when used internally: a squeeze based on them saves from burns, since it contributes to the rapid formation of a protective layer of skin.
In addition, it is impossible not to mention the positive effect of trace elements from pomegranate seeds on the immune system, the absorption of iron, muscle work, water-salt balance and the functioning of the cardiovascular system. But what is more interesting is the fact that only 100 g of grains together with seeds cover the daily human need for boron. This microelement, not so rarely mentioned by experts, improves the condition of the bone tissue, and is also a defender of the body from substandard tumors.
What can be dangerous pomegranate bones?
Their harm is mostly manifested only in the case of abuse of this fruit, but at some points it is still worthwhile to focus attention: in particular, on the daily rate of pomegranate grains with pits.
- It is undesirable for a healthy person to eat more than 100 g per day, and more than 400 g per week.
As for the possible negative effect with such or smaller volumes, it is mainly diagnosed in persons with increased acidity of the gastric juice, as well as in ulcer diseases: acid present in the pits and pulp, has an irritating effect on the mucous membrane.
- By virtue of their astringent properties, pomegranate seeds can be harmful in case of constipation, aggravating the situation, as well as in hemorrhoids.
As for the existing myth about the ability of pomegranate stones to adversely affect the gums, this is possible only with their high sensitivity, due to mechanical damage. To the healthy person, on the contrary, it is recommended to chew 1-2 tablespoons. grains with stones every day to improve the condition of the gums, as well as to eliminate plaque.
Thus, now you understand that eating a pomegranate with stones is not only possible, but necessary, if you do not suffer from an ulcer or gastritis, do not experience frequent heartburn, and are not susceptible to frequent constipation. With reasonable use, the fruit will not harm.