What causes tinnitus? Medicine can only guess, and with the exception of stunning sound or accidental injury, she does not know any other reason. Really it remains to patiently take the trouble and, eventually, come to terms with this noise, which is heard only to us? Are there any effective treatments, for example, headache pills?
Tinnitus: A Practical Guide
One day, as is always the case, for no apparent reason, suddenly you begin to hear a whistling in your ears, a buzz, a clink of metal, claps. Like a pressure cooker, a swarm of bees, a lawn mower or a horn auto. You hope that this will pass with time, and sometimes the noise really goes away, but not forever, and often the nightmare begins again.
There are two main types of tinnitus:
- Objective ringing in the ears. This type of noise can be heard by a doctor because it is caused by disorders that make it audible in the bloodstream. Noise in the head can sometimes manifest itself in the form of repeated clicks related to the pathology of the ear muscles. It is rarely possible to identify the causes of such noise and prescribe treatment.
- Subjective tinnitus is heard only to oneself. This type of noise is the most common and occurs in almost 95% of cases. The causes of subjective noise are currently very poorly understood, and it is much more difficult to treat.
The intensity of tinnitus in each person is different. Some people do not seek advice, because it does not cause them much concern, others hear the noise all the time, which can degrade the quality of their lives.
The reasons for the noise that only you hear
Before you assign the appropriate treatment and pick up the pills, you need to find out the cause of noise in the head. And the reasons for this phenomenon are quite diverse. According to one hypothesis, this phantom signal is generated by the brain in response to damage to the cells of the inner ear. Another hypothesis suggests dysfunction of the central auditory system.
Often, noises arise gradually: before they become permanent and annoying, they appear intermittently in a quiet place. But there are noises that appear suddenly as a result of an event, for example, due to a sound contusion.
The noise in his head is not dangerous, but when his character becomes intense and continuous, he begins to annoy. In addition, it can cause insomnia and difficulty concentrating. All this can happen as a result of depression.
Among the most well-known reasons for today that can provoke tinnitus are the following:
- Excessive exposure to sound waves: concert, disco, loud headphone music or sounds related to professional activities.
- Deformation of the inner ear due to damage to the cells of its tissues.
- Age-related natural hearing loss.
- Head injury.
- Cervical problems: sprains, osteochondrosis.
- Ear canal blockage with sulfuric plug.
- The use of drugs - antibiotics, aspirin in high doses, quinine and others.
- ear infection;
- otosclerosis - impaired mobility of the small bones of the middle ear;
- Paget's disease affects the bones of the skull;
- Meniere's pathology affects the inner ear;
- cardiovascular diseases: atherosclerosis, arterial hypertension;
- a tumor that struck the auditory nerve.
Some factors may increase the occurrence of noise in the ears:
- tobacco products;
- very sweet foods;
- energy type drinks.
Ways to prevent annoying noise:
- Avoid unnecessary high sound exposure. Use earplugs, ear protectors or ear plugs.
- Avoid long-term treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs such as acetylsalicylic acid.
- Learn how to manage stress, which has a negative effect not only on hearing, but also on the entire body.
In case of heightened sensitivity to loud sounds, it is better not to seek complete silence and not to wear earplugs, as this may provoke even greater sensitivity of the auditory system and reduce the discomfort threshold.
Methods for eliminating noise effects
You could already guess that with such a bunch of reasons special pills that treat noise in the head and ears are not yet developed. However, there are methods to help eliminate discomfort. Conventionally, they can be divided as follows:
- treating a disease that causes tinnitus to reduce unpleasant symptoms;
- change in drug therapy: replacement of drugs that cause tinnitus;
- wearing a hearing aid that emits a sound to suppress the internal whistle.
If tinnitus is caused by hearing loss or damage due to excessive sound exposure at the moment, there is no special treatment. And yet, what pills help from noise in the head? In practice, various drugs are used:
- vasodilators - "Baclofen", "Cinnarizine";
- benzodiazepines, for example, clonazepam.
But most of them have more side effects than positive ones. In special cases, medication is prescribed to control stress or depression, for example, Amitriptyline. Some got relief from niacin - vitamin B3, but the result can be unpredictable, so its administration is recommended only under medical supervision. Treatment with corticosteroids, such as Dexamethasone, is also allowed, which sometimes gives an effective result.
The doctor may offer various drugs, but without guaranteeing a positive effect. It is extremely important to understand that, as such, noise in the head is not a dangerous problem. It is mainly associated with premature aging of the hearing system or its deterioration due to a specific reason.