The feeling of discomfort from the accumulation of sputum in the throat is familiar, if not to everyone, then to many. I want to get rid of a lump stuck in my throat as soon as possible. Let us try to understand what is the cause of this condition and what to do if phlegm in the throat does not pass.
This nasty lump in my throat ...
Phlegm and mucus are the causes of discomfort in the throat. It can be released from organs as a result of any pathological conditions or it can drain from the back of the nose. Phlegm has a multi-component composition, which may include:
- serous fluid;
- cell and tissue elements;
What is the cause of sputum in the throat?
Thickened mucus that is long in the throat can have various causes:
- acute respiratory infections or viral infections;
- bronchitis, other pulmonary pathologies and ENT diseases.
In addition to the accumulation of sputum, all these pathologies are accompanied by characteristic symptoms, including coughing. However, there may be sputum in the throat without coughing, and the reasons for this are also different. First of all, an excess of mucus in the throat without obvious manifestation of the rest of the symptoms is characteristic of the chronic course of the above diseases.
In addition, it is possible to cast the contents of the stomach or duodenum into the throat or larynx. The pathological condition, called pharyngolaryngeal reflux, causes in almost half of the patients a sensation of a coma in the throat and a desire to clean it. Such a symptom is quite common in pregnant women in the late stage of gestation, and after delivery it disappears.
The presence of mucus in the throat can be caused by excessive runoff from the nose to the back of the throat. This is caused by sinusitis, rhinitis, caused by allergies, and an enhanced reaction of the nasal mucosa. Also, stimulation of thick sputum in the throat causes diseases with a characteristic decrease in saliva production. This effect causes dehydration or prolonged breathing through the mouth.
One of the causes of persistent sputum in the throat is the use of certain foods. Milk and dairy products, such as yogurt, cottage cheese, butter, cause an excess of mucus. The increase in its secretion is caused by the content of protein in these products, casein. Consumption of caffeine, sugar, salt, black tea, and soy can also lead to an increase in sputum.
It is worth noting another rather rare cause of sputum in the throat - the pathology of the esophagus, associated with the formation of protrusion of the wall of the organ and called Tsenker's diverticulum.
Most cases of sputum in the throat are caused by a disease. From this it follows that the solution to the problem that has arisen should begin with a visit to the doctor. Depending on the diagnosis made by a specialist, they will also be prescribed treatment.
Thus, in case of diseases caused by inflammation of the mucous membrane of the pharynx or larynx, it is possible to use inhalations, gargling with antiseptic solutions, irrigation of the surface with aerosols, and in case of exposure to bacteria, use of antibiotics. If the phlegm in the throat is not cleared of the throat, then it is likely the appointment of funds, thinning mucus and stimulating expectoration.
The problem of sputum accumulation in the throat is unpleasant, therefore, treatment of the underlying disease is necessary. For its part, the patient can control fluid intake, that is, increase it. For these purposes, you can use both plain water and juices, herbal teas with honey. Daily gargling with saline solutions can thin out mucus, which improves the process of its removal from the body.
We list the effective ways to combat sputum in the throat, used along with medications:
- inhalation procedures with the addition of eucalyptus oil;
- regular nasal cleansing;
- rejection of bad habits;
- proper nutrition and regulation of the diet, for example, the rejection of dairy products in case of their intolerance;
- limit the effects of irritants such as household cleaners, paints, chemicals, or tobacco smoke.
What does popular wisdom say?
Traditional medicine contains many recipes aimed at thinning and expectoration of sputum. Their use as an auxiliary treatment is possible when the causes of the pathological condition are determined by the doctor.
- Take a teaspoon of salt and soda, pour in a glass of warm water and let the dry ingredients dissolve.
- Mix thoroughly. To the solution add a couple of drops of iodine.
- Throat should be rinsed with a solution three times a day.
- A teaspoon of pharmaceutical chamomile pour a glass of boiling water and let it brew.
- Cool and warm infusion process throat every three hours.
- In a boiling water, add a handful of thyme, remove from heat and breathe warm steam, saturated with medicinal aroma.
- Care must be taken not to breathe in too hot steam, as there may be a burn of the respiratory tract.
Inhalation with mineral water:
- Open a bottle of mineral water, for example, Borjomi, and let the gas out.
- If you have an inhaler, use it, pour water into it without adding any impurities.
- If there is no inhaler, pour the mineral water into the pan, heat to 50 degrees, remove from the heat and breathe in the warm steam.
Inhalation with needles:
- Conifer needles need to insist in cold water for 8 hours.
- Then heat and inhale the infusion warm needles.
Increasing the amount of phlegm in the throat leads to a natural desire to get rid of it. However, before you start experimenting with yourself, you need to consult a doctor. Therapy should be prescribed by a specialist and carried out under his control. Take care of yourself!