“Without bread, without porridge, nothing in our works,” so long since the Slavs revered porridge. Many folk customs are associated with this dish: from rituals at childbirth, when it symbolized the continuation of the clan, and to the symbol of a peace treaty between the warring parties, when opponents cooked porridge together and ate it. Today, porridge does not attach such significance to, and consider it from the point of view of ordinary food.
And for the sake of time, we will talk about pea porridge, its nutritional properties and various methods of preparation. So, pea porridge: the benefits and harm.
Calorie content and composition of the dish
In our lands, peas began to be cultivated on a par with wheat and oats in the 11th century. And before that, they were savored by the primitive "vegetarians" about ten thousand years ago, somewhere in the expanses of northern Africa and southwest Asia. Today, peas are not grown except at the North Pole. What caused such popularity of this nondescript-looking plant? And the fact that peas - a very useful and affordable product, rich in vegetable proteins, carbohydrates, natural sugars and starch. Eating dishes from peas, we replenish your body with energy, become more resistant to stress, improve mental activity.
It is hard to believe that almost a half of the table of chemical elements is contained in a small pea:
- at the micro level - Fe (iron), Zn (zinc), Al (aluminum), V (vanadium), F (fluorine), Mo (molybdenum), Ni (nickel), Sr (strontium), Si (silicon), Ti ( titanium), B (boron), Mn (manganese), I (iodine), Cu (copper), Sn (tin), Se (selenium), Zr (zirconium), Ca (calcium);
- at the macro level - Mg (magnesium), Na (sodium), Cl (chlorine), K (potassium), P (phosphorus), S (sulfur);
- vitamin complex - beta-carotene, B1-B12, A, E, PP, H;
- diaminohexanoic acid (lysine).
The calorie content of boiled peas is the lowest among the cereals, but at the same time it is twice the nutritional value of boiled potatoes and makes a worthy competition to beef meat. So, in one hundred grams of peas boiled contains:
- 60 Kcal;
- 6.0 g of proteins;
- 9.0 g carbohydrates;
- 0.0 g fat.
Pea porridge: the benefits and harm
Many wonder what makes pea porridge useful? Let's figure it out. Given the chemical composition of the product, its benefits to the body are undoubted. First of all, protein, without it, nothing living is possible, because it is the building material of organic cells.
Secondly, vitamins. So, vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps rejuvenate the body and eliminate free radicals from it, which reduces the risk of oncology. Water-soluble group of vitamins B1-B12 normalizes the nervous system, improves blood composition, reduces the nicotine content in smokers. Vitamin A improves eyesight and reduces the body's susceptibility to infectious diseases. And, of course, iron is our hemoglobin.
It is impossible to overestimate the health benefits of minerals contained in pea porridge. The range of their effects on the body is quite wide:
- strengthening bone tissue;
- cardiac improvement;
- vessel strengthening;
- prevention of heart attack and hypertension.
Amino acids will help relieve fatigue, even chronic, prevent herpes, normalize the activity of the cardiovascular system.
Periodically including pea porridge in your menu, you help cleanse the body of toxins and ballast substances. And for patients with asthma, diabetes, tuberculosis, this dish should be one of the regular ones.
And, by the way, about increased flatulence from peas: if it is well cooked to a state of mashed potatoes, then, on the contrary, it will help solve this problem by dealing with indigestion, heartburn and constipation. If you do not like too boiled peas, then to eliminate the meteor effect, add carrots to the pea dish and eat porridge with bread.
Who can not eat pea porridge?
Pea porridge is contraindicated for people with such diagnoses as:
- acute pancreatitis;
- acute form of jade;
- chronic diseases of the stomach and duodenum;
- exacerbation of heart disease.
Pea porridge in a slow cooker: recipes with photos
For those who were tempted and decided to try pea porridge with piping hot, we stocked up a couple of recipes for this fabulously healthy dish in a slow cooker. Why Multicooker? Because unlike the use of a conventional pan, we eliminate the risk of porridge sticking to it, and the finished dish will be gentle and airy.
- dry peas - 450-500 g;
- water - 1 l;
- butter (porridge will not spoil the oil);
- salt - to taste.
- Prepare the peas: you need to clean the dry product from litter and spoiled peas, and then rinse thoroughly with water.
- Next, peas should be poured into a saucepan and pour water in a ratio of one to four. Leave overnight, but not less than 8 hours.
- Put the prepared grains of peas in a multicooker cup, pour in water.
- Cooking in cooking mode 30 minutes.
- When ready, add salt and butter.
Healthy porridge with steamed vegetables
- dry peas - 230 g;
- water - 500 ml;
- carrot - 2 pcs .;
- onion - 2 pcs .;
- sweet pepper - 2 pcs .;
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. l .;
- salt, ground black pepper.
- Cut the peeled vegetables: carrots, onions and sweet peppers.
- Fry chopped vegetables in oil ("Frying" mode).
- In the finished vegetables, add the washed peas and pour water.
- Cook porridge in the "Quenching" mode for 2 hours.
- When ready, add salt and black pepper, sprinkle with finely chopped greens.
In our rapid age, many people fail to eat in a timely and regular manner. Often, what we eat or what we eat during the working day is not tasty, much less healthy food. Let's slow down together, stop for a moment and try high-quality, natural food of our ancestors. Moreover, its preparation will not be burdensome either for our wallet or for time, and the benefits are obvious.