Ear pain is one of the strongest. “Shooting” in the ear most often causes otitis. Symptoms and treatment in adults have their own specifics. The disease is serious, very often it does not do without antibiotics. Treatment "blindly" without visiting Laura is fraught with hearing loss. So is it possible to cure this disease at home? What and how?
Is it possible to independently treat otitis media?
Otitis is a common ailment. Up to 10% of the world's population at least once in their lives had ear inflammation. Each year, up to 707 million new cases of otitis media are recorded.
Usually familiarity with this medical problem occurs in childhood, but adults are not immune from the threat of getting sick. The most commonly diagnosed otitis media. Other forms of this disease - external and internal (labyrinthitis) - are much less common.
Regardless of the type of otitis, the doctor must treat it. This disease can not go away by itself and is fraught with serious complications. It is better not to engage in self-treatment, but it will not hurt to add medical prescriptions with methods of traditional medicine.
How does external otitis manifest?
Adults are often found with external otitis. This is a disease in which the auricle and the external auditory canal are inflamed. It is considered the easiest type of otitis. Inflammation may be local (furuncle) or diffuse. Symptoms of the disease:
- continuous severe earache (it becomes stronger when the auricle is pulled off);
- an increase in parotid lymph nodes;
- swelling and redness of the ear canal;
- ear congestion;
- runny nose;
- temperature rise;
- general malaise;
- discharge of pus from the ear.
Inflammation of the middle ear: manifestations of the disease
Signs of otitis media:
- "wild", according to patients, earache (throbbing, aching, stabbing);
- high temperature (up to 39˚);
- headache (it captures the temporal, occipital part or the whole head);
- after the amount of pus reaches a certain point, the eardrum will burst and it will come out. This usually occurs 2-3 days after the onset of the disease, but it happens that the purulent contents are released only after 1-2 weeks.
Signals that gives labyrinthitis
The inflammation of the inner ear can be identified by the following characteristic symptoms:
- dizziness, loss of balance;
- increased sweating;
- nausea and vomiting;
- hearing loss and complete deafness;
- pain and tinnitus;
- pallor or redness of the skin;
- heart failure failure.
Drug and home treatment outdoor form
Traditional treatment of otitis externa in adults is carried out according to the following scheme:
- antibiotics - Ampicillin (intramuscularly), Ceftriaxone; Cefuroxime;
- ointment - Oxyfort; Sofradex; Gramicidin; Ofloxacin;
- antihistamines - Nystatin;
- drops for the ears - Otipaks, Garazon;
- nasal drops - Aquamaris, Nazivin;
- anti-inflammatory drugs - Diclofenac, Nurofen;
- vitamin therapy;
Sometimes it is prescribed to remove the boil surgically.
From folk remedies give a good effect turunda with propolis, as well as cotton swabs, soaked with fresh juice of onion or slightly warmed with vegetable oil. In addition, you can make drops of chamomile flowers (1 tsp. Flowers per 200 ml of water). Apply three times a day, 2-3 drops.
Acute otitis media: how to treat?
Treatment of acute otitis in adults involves the observance of bed rest. The patient needs complete rest. Drug therapy includes such drugs:
- antibiotics - Cefixime, Erythromycin, Amoxicillin, Cefaclor, Ampicillin (from 7 to 10 days);
- If purulent otitis media is diagnosed in adults, the treatment also includes ear drops with an antibiotic - Levomycetin, Normaks, Fugentin;
- combined drops - Garazon, Sofradex;
- ear drops - Netilmicin, Otipaks, Otinum;
- antihistamines - Nystatin;
- vasoconstrictor drugs in the nose - Naphthyzinum, Nazivin;
- NSAIDs - Ibuprofen, Nurofen.
If the disease is mild, then otitis media can be treated at home in adults. For this, traditional medicine advises to use these recipes:
- dry warm. Attach a towel and a bag of hot salt to a sore ear;
- clay compress. It should be applied for 2 hours;
- onion juice. The procedure is as follows: take an onion, cut off the apical part, pour 1 tsp in the middle. cumin seeds, cover the top with a "lid" of vegetables. Place the onion in the oven for half an hour. Then squeeze out the juice and inscribe the affected ear with 3 drops before bedtime;
- turunda dipped in birch bud infusion. To prepare it, you should mix birch buds with vodka in a ratio of 1 to 10. The composition should stand for about 10 days. Then they are soaked with a cotton twist and inserted into the ear. This is a very effective tool that relieves pain, inflammation, reduces the release of pus and restores hearing. Attention: in no case should one bury such a means in the ear! It should be used only in the form of turund;
- instillation of the ear with 10% tincture of calendula or mint. To make such drops, you need 2 tbsp. l dry collection. It is poured with a glass of vodka (200 g), insisted for 7 days, filtered and dripped 3 times a day, 3 drops;
- grind into powder Streptocid, Streptomycin, Levomycetinum, Penicillin (each drug 2 tablets). Mix the prepared powder with any eye ointment so as to obtain a homogeneous mass. Twist a cotton swab and place in the ear, hold for at least 30 minutes.
Home treatment should always begin with a visit to an otolaryngologist (even if there are signs confirming the otitis). And treatment in adults must be complex: it is difficult to achieve full recovery by some alternative methods.
How are labyrinthitis treated?
To cure internal otitis media, prescribe such drugs:
- antibiotics - Azithromycin, Ceftriaxone;
- vestibulolitiki - Betahistin, Bellataminal;
- diuretics - Furosemide;
- vitamins - B-complex, P and K;
- solution of potassium chloride 10% and magnesia.
From folk remedies, you can use onion ear tampons, infusion from the rhizome of burnet. This root is poured 400 ml of water, insist on a water bath and take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day.
Hot water bottles are contraindicated!
Antibiotic treatment of otitis media in adults- how much is it necessary?
There are debates among doctors about the appropriateness of using antibiotics for treating otitis. Statistics show that up to 75% of cases of intraocular inflammation can be cured independently. But most doctors insist that it is imperative to use antibiotics for acute otitis to eliminate the risk of intracranial infection.
Therefore, the medical strategy is as follows: if the pathological process under the condition of symptomatic therapy does not go away within 1-2 weeks (usually it happens in 3 days), then an antibacterial agent should be chosen. To date, the most popular drug for the treatment of otitis media is Amoxicillin.
To pick the right antibiotic can only a doctor. This once again confirms that treatment at home is possible only after visiting Laura.
Question number one, which interests all patients, is it necessary to go to the hospital with otitis. There is no definite answer. If the disease is difficult, it is better not to risk and stay in the hospital (at least day). Mild forms can be treated at home, especially since there is enough money for this.