Any hostess is well aware of the role of this vegetable in cooking: it gives the dishes a piquancy, rich taste and aroma. But few people know about the effect of onions on the body, and even more so about its cosmetic properties. What are the benefits and harm of onions, how useful are green and red onions, how to properly use these natural gifts to get the most benefit and not to harm yourself?
What can be useful and harmful bow?
To understand the usefulness of bulb onions, just look at the variety of nutrients in its composition:
- organic acids: ascorbic (vitamin C), malic and citric;
- vitamins of group B, vitamin A, PP, E, K;
- essential oils;
- phytoncides (plant substances that suppress the infection);
- trace elements and macronutrients: potassium, aluminum, iron, iodine, phosphorus, etc .;
- pectic substances;
- amino acids;
Due to this rich composition, onions are very effectively used for the prevention and treatment of many diseases, as well as for cosmetic purposes.
- Onions are best known for their anti-infective effects. This is due to the presence in it of phytoncides - substances that destroy pathogenic bacteria and fungi and prevent their development.
To protect yourself from infection with any cold or infectious diseases during the off-season and outbreaks of ARVI, you must regularly add fresh onions to your diet.
If the disease has already manifested itself, then with the help of a vegetable, you can significantly speed up the healing process. Sliced onions, left overnight next to the patient's bed, can very quickly destroy the infection in the airways due to vapors that a person inhales.
- Drops and washing on the basis of fresh onion juice are very effective in the common cold and chronic forms of sinusitis.
- Aluminum, contained in onions, helps to restore and strengthen bone tissue.
- Onions normalizes metabolism, digestive processes, increases appetite.
- Due to the wide variety of vitamins, micro and macro elements, vegetable is an excellent means of combating vitamin deficiency, as well as strengthening the immune system.
- The disinfecting properties of raw onions are effectively used to restore sore gums.
- Onions have anthelmintic and a slight laxative effect.
- It has repeatedly been confirmed that eating raw vegetables greatly reduces the risk of developing cancer, and also helps to fight an existing disease.
- Onions baked in the oven can be used to treat boils and carbuncles. To do this, a hot vegetable, cut in halves, is applied with a bandage on a sore spot overnight. This contributes to the maturation of boils and the release of pus from them. In this way, surgery can be avoided.
- Juice is one of the most effective means of combating alopecia (hair loss), seborrhea and dandruff, restoring hair follicles and metabolic processes in the scalp. To do this, onions, crushed in the form of gruel (or just juice), superimposed on the scalp and hair roots for 1-2 hours. The result is possible after one application.
- Hair masks based on juice restore the hair structure, giving it shine and well-groomed healthy look. By the way, onion peel also effectively regenerates hair, moreover - such rinsing gives a beautiful golden-copper shade to hair.
Thus, there are plenty of reasons to make "Chipollino" a frequent guest in the diet. But in some cases, onions (as well as green as well as other varieties) can do more harm than good. Thus, in case of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, it should be minimized (not to exceed 100 g per day) or should not be consumed, in the case of, for example, an exacerbation of a gastric or duodenal ulcer. Do not often and in large quantities to use this product for diseases of the heart, liver, kidneys, some skin ailments. And those who often use a tonometer, you should know that the active eating of onions can result in an increase in pressure.
All this concerns a raw vegetable, as it has an irritating effect on the mucous membrane of the digestive organs. Of course, during the heat treatment many onions useful substances are destroyed, and this product becomes useless in terms of protection against infections, as it loses its main weapon - phytoncides. But even in cooked form, micro and macro elements remain active in onions.
Red onions: beneficial properties
Depending on the type of vegetable, its range of qualities may vary. Quite often we have a red onion. Useful properties of this variety are associated with a high content of antioxidants: They are 2 times more than in the bulb and other light varieties.
- Red onions are used in the treatment of diabetes and diseases of the nervous system.
- Regular consumption of red varieties reduces cholesterol levels, supports the elimination of toxins from the body.
- The plant allows you to successfully fight with inflammatory and infectious diseases, tumors, swelling
- It has anti-histamine effects.
Why do I need to eat green onions?
Green onions - this is the top, aboveground, feather part of the bulb. Therefore, its chemical composition is very similar to the composition of the "roots" and has a similar effect. But there are still some differences.
- Green feathers contain a large amount of iron, which helps to increase hemoglobin.
- Higher zinc content has a positive effect on the hair, strengthening the roots and preventing hair loss, makes nails stronger and rejuvenates the skin, adding elasticity to it and at the same time reducing the increased activity of the sebaceous glands.
How to get rid of the smell of onions?
With all the benefits of onions, a lot of unpleasant moments can be delivered by its smell and ability to make us cry, especially when used for cosmetic purposes.
- Mint, parsley, lemon rind help to eliminate the smell from the mouth. It is enough just to chew a twig or a piece of one of these products.
- To get rid of the smell after the onion hair masks will help lemon juice, diluted with water (this solution should be thoroughly washed with long hair after shampooing), masks with kefir, cinnamon, colorless henna and essential oils.
- You can remove the smell from the cutting board by rubbing it with coarse salt, mustard, baking soda, or lemon.
So that during the cutting of onions the eyes do not tear:
- Pre-soak the heads for 3-5 minutes in warm salted water or 10-15 minutes in the freezer.
- cut the vegetable with a very sharp and thin knife without teeth and periodically wet the tool under a stream of cold water.
- light a fire: a wax candle burning nearby or at least a gas burner neutralizes substances that cause tears.
- start cutting from the opposite side: there is the largest number of "tear" substances near the root.
Having learned better about the benefits and harms of your old acquaintance, you can more intelligently include onions in the diet and thereby get rid of the need for some medical preparations. This is especially true of colds. The main thing is to take into account the peculiarities of your body and apply a vegetable in a form and quantity that is guaranteed not to harm.