Any human movement due to the work of the nervous system. The thinnest branched network permeates every cell of a living organism and controls it throughout its life. And, if suddenly some kind of malfunction occurs in the harmonious system, it will certainly entail consequences, for example, neuritis of the facial nerve.
Neuritis of the facial nerve, the symptoms and treatment of which depend on many factors, is a fairly common disease. Absolutely all age groups are subject to such local inflammation, starting with children and ending with the elderly. It is possible to get the disease in a few minutes, unnoticed, but to cure it can be quite difficult.
Neuritis of the facial nerve: causes
Neuritis (or neuropathy) is considered a seasonal disease, as it most often occurs due to hypothermia in spring or autumn. Despite strong winds and deceptive warmth at this time, people wear pretty light clothes and no hats. Getting cold in this way is easier than ever, and inflammation of the facial nerve, the symptoms of which can be painful, will not take long and will require treatment. To provoke ailment can also:
- middle ear disease (otitis media);
- infections of various kinds, including shingles;
- various injuries;
- high blood pressure;
- alcohol abuse;
- hormonal changes;
- oral problems;
How does the disease manifest itself?
It is possible to diagnose the disease by the following manifestations:
- one-sided (in most cases) immobility of mimic muscles;
- noticeable skew and asymmetry of the face;
- aching pain behind the ear;
- inability to close the eye or mouth completely;
- speech change (in some cases);
- impaired tearing;
- lack of taste;
- heightened perception of sounds.
With all this, the sensitivity on the face is preserved. This is easy to check with a needle.
Neuritis often implies inflammation of the facial trigeminal nerve, the symptoms and treatment of which depend on its specificity. This nerve leaves the temporal region, forks and stretches to the eye, maxillary and mandibular regions. Thus, it provides the mobility and sensitivity of tissues. Pathology of any branch of the trigeminal nerve leads to immobility of certain parts of the face.
- The first branch is responsible for the sensitivity of the skin of the forehead and along the hairline in the front, eyebrows, eyeball and upper eyelid, as well as the back of the nose.
- If the second nerve branch is affected, then the lower eyelid, part of the cheek, upper lip and upper row of teeth do not move.
- When the third thread is damaged, the lower part of the face - chin, lower lip and jaw, gums, buccal mucosa and tongue - suffers.
Even if all the signs of the disease are present, it is not recommended to make a verdict on your own, since neuropathy is similar in its characteristics to other diseases: inflammation of the inner ear, acoustic neuroma, brain tumor, diabetes and multiple sclerosis. To diagnose neuritis of the facial nerve, classify the symptoms and prescribe treatment can only be a specialist - a neurologist.
In case of inflammation of the facial nerve, it is impossible to delay the treatment in a medical institution. It is an insidious disease, and any delay will lead to the fact that the muscles of the face will remain stationary forever. As a rule, it’s enough for only 3-4 days.
For the treatment of neuritis in the hospital use:
- nicotinic acid;
- hormonal drugs;
- traction with adhesive plaster;
- dry heat;
- therapeutic exercises;
- paraffin baths;
Before treatment, the patient must undergo an additional examination, the results of which reveal the details of the course of the disease and draw up a general picture of therapy. If neuropathy arose as a result of another disease, then the main cause of the ailment is eliminated first. All other procedures to restore the facial nerve go as ancillary, so as not to lose time.
If all measures are not given the desired effect, the disease is eliminated by surgery.
Folk methods against neuritis
In the case of so many diseases, it is possible to improve the condition with folk remedies, and neuropathy is no exception: it lends itself well to herbs.
- Jasmine flowers (100 g) are poured with fresh vegetable oil, which is taken to be 600 g. For ten days, the medicine is drawn in a warm place, shaking the container from time to time. On the eleventh day the composition is filtered and rubbed into the affected places at bedtime.
- In an enamel pot mix 1 tbsp. l mustard leaf and pour one glass of table (9%) vinegar. Boil the mixture on low heat for 5 minutes, remove from heat and leave for 30 minutes. Composition filter and in one day grease their sore spots.
- Wormwood (only plucked) is poured with a small amount of boiling water to form a thick homogeneous mass. The composition add 1 tsp. Sea buckthorn oil and stir. The ointment is applied with a compress to the affected place and warmed.
- A handful of flaxseed is wrapped in linen fabric and well steamed in a water bath. A warm bag is applied to the sore spot and wrapped with a scarf or towel. Such a tool "pacifies" pain.
Traditional methods of treatment should not be contrary to medication. "Grandma's" therapy can enhance the effect of the prescribed procedures, but can not completely replace them.
Comprehensive treatment of neuritis, as a rule, gives positive results. But, to avoid secondary inflammation of the facial nerve, it is necessary to take care of yourself. It is easy - just be careful, do not supercool and visit the clinic in time. After all, any neglected disease can provoke neuropathy with its unpleasant symptoms.