The healing properties of mustard plasters are known to all. They are used for a long time to get rid of the symptoms of cold and cough. Despite the popularity of this "spicy" means, its effectiveness is still not proven. Is it possible for mustard plaster to children when coughing? Doctors do not give an unequivocal answer to this question.
What do the doctor's say?
Pediatricians still can not agree on whether the child needs mustard plaster. Famous Dr. E. Komarovsky believes that powder applications do not affect the rehabilitation process. Any cold will still occur for at least a week. The use of any warming ointments or compresses is not able to shorten this period.
However, not all pediatricians hold this view. Many of the old-fashioned continue to recommend mustard plasters, including for children up to a year. At this age, it is possible to make compresses with mustard only for 2-3 minutes. Babies of 3-4 years old can increase the time interval to 5 minutes. Further, with age, the duration of the "mustard session" will be up to a quarter of an hour.
However, it is impossible to rely in this matter only on the recommended period of the procedure. Be attentive to the condition of the child. If he complains of a strong burning sensation, he feels worse, treatment should be stopped.
It is allowed to put mustard plasters no more than 1 time per day. To eliminate the symptoms of the disease will be enough 4-5 procedures. In the future, they will be ineffective because the body stops responding to them.
When to carry out the procedure?
There is a belief that mustard powder is effective in diseases of the respiratory organs (bronchitis, pneumonia, acute respiratory infections) and is used to remove sputum. However, this is not quite true. Mustard plaster children put not only with coughing, but also with a number of other diseases and symptoms. It:
- neurological diseases;
- soft tissue damage;
Despite the fact that mustard plasters are considered a safe method, in some cases they have contraindications for use:
- temperature exceeding 37 degrees (in this case, too much stress is put on the heart);
- with allergies or excessive sensitivity to mustard powder;
- for any skin diseases, abrasions, cuts at the sites of application;
It is not recommended to carry out the procedure in the acute phase of the disease: the blood flow to diseased organs can only increase inflammation. It is best to do warming compresses at the very beginning of a cold, when it is still possible to prevent its rapid development, or 3-4 days after the onset of the disease, when the recovery phase begins. In this case, the applications will help to separate the sputum and remove it from the body.
Mustard compress can be dangerous in severe infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, whooping cough and others. In this regard, before starting the procedure, it is necessary to call the pediatrician. He will make a preliminary diagnosis and clarify whether warming applications will not be harmful to the health of the child.
To the procedure was useful for the baby, you need to know how to put mustard plasters when coughing children.
How to put mustard plasters when coughing children?
Parents of babies are often interested in the question of where the compresses are applied. Some parts of the body are considered potentially dangerous for heat exposure, so they should be avoided when setting up warming applications.
There are several options where to put mustard plasters when coughing children, and they are directly dependent on the diagnosis:
- with pneumonia, bronchitis - an area of the chest, except for the heart; the back (area of the shoulder blades or below them);
- dry cough on chest;
- runny nose - on the heels.
To know how to put mustard plasters to your child when you cough, follow these guidelines.
- If you purchased the drug at a pharmacy, check its expiration date. Old mustard plaster is easily showered and does not have a warming effect. The material for compresses in bags is a “cat in a bag”, since it is rather difficult to check its quality. It is possible to make mustard plasters and at home from ordinary mustard powder and paper. However, it should be noted that homemade compresses can burn much more than pharmacies.
- Prepare a clean piece of cloth (it can easily be replaced with a towel), a container with heated water, a warm blanket.
- Dip mustard plasters in water for a few seconds and apply powder to the body of the child. If the baby's skin is too tender, you can make a strip of a piece of gauze.
- Cover the child with a towel or a simple piece of cotton cloth, and wrap a blanket or blanket above.
- When mustard plasters start burning, hold them for another 2-3 minutes and remove them from the skin. In children under one year, the procedure time should not exceed 2-3 minutes.
- Wipe the skin with a damp cloth and apply cream on it.
- Put on your baby's pajamas and put to bed. You can give your baby a warm compote, tea with raspberries, warm herbal decoction.
Mustard plasters should not be taken as the only possible treatment for colds or acute respiratory infections. They need to be combined with other therapies that the doctor prescribed, for example, antibiotics or immunostimulating drugs. Do not give up medications in favor of exclusively folk remedies when it comes to child health.