Every young mother from the first days of the life of the newborn monitors the state of his health. The kid, for obvious reasons, cannot explain how he feels. But caring parents watch him and know that the appearance of negative changes in the children's body can be seen by paying attention to waste and seeing, for example, mucus in the feces of a child.
Due to inexperience, many mothers and fathers start to panic if they notice mucus in the feces of a month-old baby or children under one year old. In order not to succumb to false alarm, it is useful to know that more than half of the children upset their parents with such a "surprise", and this is not always a sign of a pathology requiring urgent and active intervention.
Why does a baby have feces mucus?
If mucus appears in the baby’s feces, the reasons may be different. Such a symptom often signals:
- normal physiological processes in the body of a boy or girl;
- taking drugs;
- malnutrition and hygiene;
- allergic reaction;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
In the first few months after birth, the digestive system of the infant does not produce the amount of juices and enzymes necessary for the digestion and assimilation of beneficial substances, and in the intestine there is not enough bifidobacteria and lactobacilli for normal processing of milk. Therefore, if the baby is only a few months old and:
- mucus appears rarely, in small quantities,
- a nursing mother has broken a diet that excludes fried, fatty, and other junk food,
- no additional symptoms are observed
you should not worry. If yellowish or white mucus is seen in the feces of a child older than one year old, which is constantly excreted, it is time to guard. Analyze the nuances of child care, to eliminate the causes of the symptom, not associated with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Mucus in baby waste can appear due to:
- antibiotic therapy - such drugs inhibit beneficial bacteria in the intestines and cause digestive disorders;
- wrong choice of foods for feeding baby;
- too abrupt introduction of new dishes into the baby’s diet;
- the presence of an allergen in the food.
A visit to the clinic for diagnostics cannot be postponed in case of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, which is indicated not only by mucus in the feces of the child, but also by a number of other manifestations. Here are the most common diseases that have this symptom in the clinical picture.
Dysbacteriosis - negative changes in the intestinal microflora, due to the presence of which the digestive process is disturbed. With such a diagnosis are also observed:
- particles of consumed food in feces;
- loss of appetite;
- loss of attention and memory, slow growth, moodiness.
The virus or pathogen microbe enters the intestinal mucosa. When intestinal infections in the feces, except for mucus, appear:
- food fragments;
- often - purulent or bloody impurities.
Infection occurs when eating dirty vegetables, fruits, neglecting the rules of hygiene. If the disease state is caused by:
- dysenteric bacillus,
patients will have:
- abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting,
- diarrhea: bloody stools yellow-green with a pungent odor.
Food poisoning in children, which are easily recognized, as:
- bouts of vomiting begin;
- pale and covered with cold sweat skin;
- the consciousness can be broken.
When infecting a child with parasites from time to time, they are concerned about:
- stomach ache;
- skin rash;
- headache and decreased activity;
- crying mood;
- perhaps in the feces will be dead worms.
Intestinal diseases characterized by constant irritation of the mucous membrane (for example, colitis, Crohn's disease, etc.). Chronic inflammation makes itself felt:
- poor appetite;
Obstruction of the intestine due to the development of surgical pathology, which leads to:
- almost never ceasing to vomit;
- acute pain in the peritoneum;
- scanty stool containing not only mucus, but also blood.
In this case, the child will need urgent surgical intervention.
What measures should be taken by parents?
What to do if mucus is found in the feces of a child? If additional symptoms appear that cause suspicion of serious illness, seek medical attention immediately. Regular presence of mucus in baby waste is also a good reason to visit a district pediatrician. Before visiting the clinic, parents should:
- eliminate spicy, salty, sweet foods, smoked foods, raw, fried or fatty foods, soda, cocoa, concentrated juices from the child’s diet;
- remove potential allergens from the menu - citrus fruits, products with synthetic additives;
- strictly monitor the personal hygiene of all family members;
- give the baby more liquid - warm tea or purified water;
- Children can take probiotics to restore normal bowel function.
Perhaps such measures will help to solve the problem quickly and painlessly.
Noticing the mucus in the waste of a child, you need to pay attention to the age of the child and the presence or absence of other symptoms. This will help you understand whether your anxiety is warranted and whether the child needs treatment. Observe basic rules for child care, avoid eating and eating, so that such troubles will bypass your home.