Even in the most healthy person, situations sometimes arise after which the digestive tract does not cope with the load and responds to dyspeptic disorders. Of the entire range of antiemetic drugs that work by inhibiting dopamine receptors, Motilium is considered the softest and safest, however, its reaction rate is slightly lower than that of its counterparts. How does this tool work and can it be given to children? What precautions must be taken?
"Motilium": a general description of the drug
The main active substance is domperidone, similar in its effect to a number of antipsychotics, but with a smaller number of negative reactions. Instructions for use "Motilium" reports that the tool can affect the hormone prolactin (stimulation of its synthesis), as well as increase the frequency of contractions of the lower esophageal sphincter through an increase in its tone. This leads to a rapid emptying of the stomach (especially for the hard fractions) and reduces the feeling of heaviness, but at the same time there is no effect on the degree of release of gastric juice.
- The active ingredient of the drug practically does not penetrate from the blood into the brain, as a result of which it does not contribute to a negative response in the form of internal and external tremor, parkinsonism, deterioration of vascular tone, panic attack, typical of domperidone-related substances. However, this proposition applies only to the adult organism: for children, the use of Motilium should be accompanied by increased caution.
- The release form of the drug is sublingual and conventional tablets and suspension, each of the species is presented in a single concentration: 1 mg of domperidone per 1 ml of liquid and 10 mg of domperidone per 1 tablet. The manufacturer applies a measuring syringe and a cap to the suspension, the tablets (10 and 30 pcs.) Have a vertical dividing line, which allows changing the initial dosage with the minimum error.
- Regardless of the form of release, the active substance has an instant absorption, so the maximum concentration in the blood is observed after 1 h, and bioavailability increases if the drug is taken immediately after a meal. Complicating this process can simultaneous therapy with sodium bicarbonate. At low acidity, the degree of absorption of domperidone decreases.
- The cumulative effect of the use of "Motilium" is not fixed, the metabolism of the active substance occurs in the liver, the excretion occurs by the kidneys and the rectum by 98% (total), only 11% is left unchanged.
- The indications for the use of "Motilium" in tablets and solution are any discomfort in the epigastric region, as well as nausea and vomiting, belching. In this case, the prerequisites for the appearance of the last symptoms are not taken into account. "Motilium" equally well manifests itself in infectious nausea and intoxication caused, as well as a deterioration of health due to radiation, reflux, and drug therapy. Perhaps the use of "Motiliuma" in children with impaired motility of the digestive tract.
"Motilium" can act as a means of rapid response (for immediate relief of nausea symptoms), and as a long-term therapy, while doctors consider it possible to combine it with drugs aimed at reducing the secretory function of the stomach. Possible combination with antacid agents.
"Motilium": indications for use in children and adults
For a start, you should familiarize yourself with the precautionary measures, since even this drug, which is considered the safest, has a lot of them. First of all, this concerns persons with liver failure, since dopamine undergoes a process of metabolism in the liver. Doctors advise to increase the periods between taking pills or suspensions, so as not to increase the proportion of the active substance - 2 uses per day is enough. If the dosage is single, it can not be changed. In the presence of renal failure (together with the liver) it is necessary not only to make the devices rare, but also to reduce the amount of the drug by 2 times.
- In case of disorders of the digestive tract, for the purpose of prophylaxis for chronic diseases, it is allowed to use Motilium before meals for 30 minutes, with a frequency of up to 3 times a day. As a means of rapid response, you can drink it regardless of food and time of day, but not more often 4 times a day.
- For young children, Motilium suspension is shown, because it is much more easily perceived by the baby, and also allows you to take the minimum dose with greater accuracy. The use of the drug is allowed in children from a year - the therapy in infants can be carried out only under the guidance of a doctor. Children over 5 years old and adults are recommended to take pills - both normal and lingual. In the case of high sensitivity of the body, the suspension is used in a child up to 12 years.
The dosage of the drug is calculated by age and the purpose of its use, for trial use can be reduced by 20-50%, depending on the susceptibility of the organism.
- For immediate relief of the symptoms of nausea and vomiting, children under 12 years old give no more than 10 mg of domperidone per dose. Adults and children over 12 years old - 20 mg of domperidone. The maximum daily dosage in a critical situation is 80 mg, preferably this volume is divided into 2-3 doses.
- In children younger than 5 years, the dosage is calculated by body weight. Children are given a suspension of 0.5 ml per kg of net weight, while at the same time, up to 80 mg is also allowed per day, or up to 2.4 mg per kg of net weight.
- In order to prevent chronic diseases of the digestive tract, including the liver and gallbladder, Motilium tablets, regardless of age, use 10 mg per dose, and suspension - 0.25 ml per kg of child weight. Doubling this volume is allowed only in children from a year. Shake suspension before use.
Separately, it should be noted pregnant and lactating women: in the early stages (up to the 12th week), the drug is completely prohibited, can later be used under the supervision of the attending physician. Up to 50% of the active substance gets into breast milk, as a result of which domperidone can be passed on to a newborn, but there is no data on its effect on the baby.
- "Motilium" is prohibited for use in persons with internal bleeding of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as disorders of the pituitary gland (including the tumor), sphincter problems (obstruction).
- Adverse reactions to the drug are observed on the part of the endocrine and nervous system, there may be an upset stomach and intestines, skin manifestations of allergy.
Cases of overdose "Motilium" extremely rare and occur most often in children in the form of loss of strength, decrease in concentration, drowsiness, dizziness. Removal of the drug is done by washing the stomach.
Analogs of the drug "Motilium" composition and spectrum of action
The high cost of this tool often leads to the need to look for a replacement for it, but how realistic is it? The whole range of similar products can be divided into generics (identical composition, a different name) and analogues by the principle of action or indications for use. The latter, of course, much more, and the choice among them should be carried out according to the problem you want to solve.
- "Tserukal". The most famous antiemetic drug, according to indications for use - an analogue of "Motilium", in composition - has almost nothing in common with it. The tool works by metoclopramide, a synthetic substance, inhibits dopamine and serotonin receptors. Does not provoke intestinal disorders, affects nausea and vomiting of any type. Contraindicated in children up to 2 years.
- "Motilak". The Russian anti-emetic drug also works on the basis of domperidone, therefore it can be considered a generic of Motilium. Indications for use and contraindications are identical, the difference is only in price - "Motilak" significantly cheaper.
- "Motonium". The same generic on the basis of domperidone, also has no differences, judging by consumer reviews and official instructions.
- "Passage". Presented in the form of chewable tablets, works on the basis of domperidone, is prohibited in children under 5 years of age.
- Domstal. The Ukrainian version of "Motilium", according to the manufacturer's instructions, is no different from the latter.
With regard to antiemetic drugs, the above are the most effective options, but it is better to select a replacement with "Motilium", if it was prescribed by a doctor, with a specialist.
"Motilium": reviews of the drug
The real opinion of consumers is not as enthusiastic as that of the manufacturer and marketers. The overall score is more "satisfactory" than "good" if we analyze the rating on major portals with live reviews.
- Anna: "Motilium" was assigned to us by the doctor when the child was diagnosed with pilarospasm, because from the age of six months we were tormented by a belch that did not go away for several weeks, but, on the contrary, turned into severe vomiting. They took the suspension, acted clearly according to the instructions, but for 3 months, which lasted a course of treatment, vomiting did not even decrease. For my child, the drug was useless.
- Tatyana: Motilium tried to alleviate the condition of her son (7 years old) and her own during a viral infection, on the recommendation of a doctor. Pain in the epigastric region when taken before a meal, the drug really relieves, but it has not had an effect on nausea in either me or the child.
- Yuliya: Honestly, I cannot understand the popularity of Motilium - indeed, the side effects of it are rarely manifested, even for my extremely sensitive daughter, but the effectiveness of its reception is very low: nausea does not go away, the vomit urge is not completely blocked. At the same time I tried to even double the single dosage - the effect is zero.
Like most antiemetic drugs, Motilium does not have one hundred percent effectiveness and acts rather on the weak signs of imperfect digestion, rather than instantly alleviates the condition during severe vomiting. However, the plus is definitely the absence of severe adverse reactions, as a result of which the drug is well suited even for use in young children.