Melissa or lemon mint, as it is popularly called, has been one of the most widely used medicinal plants for more than 2 thousand years.. The plant’s homeland is considered to be the Mediterranean, or rather its eastern region. Nowadays, it grows almost everywhere, but is mainly distributed in the countries of the former USSR.
The ancient Greeks considered lemon balm a remedy for baldness and fever, and also used it to improve the performance of the digestive tract and excite sensuality. Lemon mint was even worshiped. Also with its help struggled with insomnia and hiccups.
On the Russian land, this plant was used for repetitive fainting and for sedation. It was also believed that it copes with hysterics, dizziness, nervous fever, cardiac arousal, colds, and paralysis.
Melissa: useful properties
- The medicinal properties of this plant are due to its constituent components. Melissa contains tannins, essential oil, bitterness, tar, tannins, ascorbic acid, a large amount of organic acids, and trace elements: zinc, magnesium, calcium, selenium, and this is not the whole list! 100 g of the plant contains only 44 kcal.
- Melissa has a positive effect on the brain, eliminates headaches, is anti-inflammatory and diaphoretic. She is also a natural antidepressant and perfectly soothes the nervous system. Melissa helps to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract - activates the appetite, reduces spasms, fights flatulence, constipation, improves gastric motility, has a positive effect on the body during a stomach ulcer and normalizes digestion.
- Since ancient times, this plant has been used to treat heart disease, migraine, anemia, atherosclerosis, as well as diseases of the reproductive system of the body. The herb has a diuretic effect, reduces swelling by removing excess fluid from the body. With bites of wasps or bees, you can make lotions from this plant.
- Lemon mint helps to cure fungal diseases, eczema, acne, dandruff, depriving, and it also helps to strengthen the human immunity! For diseases of the gums, oral cavity, herpes, toothache, infusions of this herb caress the oral cavity, and outwardly it is used in the form of compresses for skin diseases, gout, rheumatism.
- Melissa Essential Oil- fine antiseptic, it is added to aroma lamps, as well as baths - it cleans the lungs, helps get rid of a viral infection, relieves pain during inflammation of the joints and muscles.
- Not for nothing, this plant has received the name - "female grass": it puts in order weight, improves the functioning of the menstrual cycle, women who are breastfeeding babies, use its tinctures for better production of breast milk.
- Also, lemon mint is used to prepare various dishes and tea.
- People with arterial hypotension (low blood pressure), this plant is contraindicated. And the main harm this herb can bring only if it is misused. Tinctures, decoctions and baths from this plant can enhance inflammatory processes, if used in case of ulcers, boils or acne. Also, lemon mint has a negative effect on male potency.
- Melissa slows down the reaction, so tea with her can not be drunk before the events, when you need to be extremely attentive. Also, if a patient takes any medication, then before using lemon mint, he should consult with his doctor.
- It is not recommended to use drugs with melissa during pregnancy.
Medicinal properties of lemon balm
- Melissa tincturenormalizes the gastrointestinal tract. Use it for dizziness and headaches. When applied, pressure and heart pain are reduced. To prepare it, you need 25 g of a dry plant. You need to brew 1 l of boiling water and leave for half an hour. It is taken 3 times a day for 1 glass. Externally, it is used for inflammation of the gums and furunculosis.
- Still cooking decoction greens of a plant, for this purpose 10 g of dry chopped herbs should be boiled in 1 cup of plain water for 10 minutes, then strain and use 1 tsp. 3 times a day. It is used in diseases of the respiratory tract, stomach, neurosis, heart disease.
- In order to calm the nerves and awaken the appetite, you need to drink melissa tea: boil the leaves with boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.
- When ulcer and rheumatism need to make compresses of this grass.
Melissa is a perennial plant that reaches a height of 60 cm, flowers come in white, pink and purple flowers. Its seeds retain the ability to grow for 3 years. At one place it can be grown for 5 years, and for the winter you need to warm, since she loves heat. For reproduction, cuttings or plant seeds are most often used, but it is possible to divide the bushes.
It grows on light fertile soils. Fertilize the soil before planting. Seeds are planted in special boxes in mid-March, and the seedlings are planted in early May. You need to water 2 times a week. Every spring, the plant needs feeding, the first time the leaves are harvested during the period of setting the buds, the second - after 30 days. The harvest should be properly washed and spread out in a dark ventilated place with a thin layer. Dry leaves can be stored for a year in a glass jar with a lid.
Melissa officinalis: photo
Melissa Essential Oil
If you brew tea with melissa, then the aroma of fresh citrus starts to spread around immediately, because its leaves contain a lot of essential oils. They are used in cosmetology, medicine and homeopathy and have the ability to relieve spasms and headaches, soothe, facilitates the problems of the cardiovascular system of the body, help fight cancer and other serious diseases.
The composition of the oil of this plant includes alcohols, hydrocarbons, aldehydes, as well as substances with anti-inflammatory action. This oil lowers blood pressure, is used for tachycardia, female diseases and even infertility.
- Also, this product improves sleep, relieves irritability, stimulates memory, helps strengthen the immune system. Even during epidemics of influenza and other infectious diseases, it is not superfluous to aromatize the air with essential oil of lemon balm, because its aroma is much more pleasant than the smell of garlic, which since ancient times has been a remedy for viral diseases. If a person is already ill, then this oil contributes to the speedy recovery, facilitates the course of the disease, lowers body temperature, helps the sputum discharge.
- When you cough, SARS and flu, you can do the following inhalations - take a little honey, add 3 drops of the plant's essential oil, put everything in a container of boiling water, then cover with a towel and breathe it for 15 minutes.
- When pains in the head need to lubricate the whiskey with this oil. If ulcers are formed in the mouth, then oil applications should be done 2 times a day. Bath with the addition of essential oil of lemon balm helps to relieve stress - To do this, add cream to the water, in which 6 drops of oil were dissolved. In the foot bath you can add 15 drops.
- Even with this oil, you can do a massage - 5 drops combined with 10 ml of fruit oil.
- Inside this product is used for high blood pressure, diseases of the heart and blood vessels, nerve cramps, tachycardia, constipation, flatulence and a number of other diseases.
Melissa is a very useful herb, it can be grown not only in gardens, but even on balconies, and its benefits are colossal.!