If the morning was not so good and you found strange "bumps" around your neck, then there is no doubt that you had a lymph node in your neck. What to do - urgently run to the doctor or lie down at home? Do not panic! In some cases, you can completely do home treatment. What can be done and what can not be done?
Cervical lymphadenitis: prognosis and cure
Lymphadenitis occurs very often. Both adults and children are prone to this disease. Its main feature is inflamed, painful and enlarged lymph nodes. Usually the cause of such problems is an infection that the body cannot defeat due to a weakened immunity. Curing lymphadenopathy is sometimes quite fast. This can be done at home. In other cases, you can not do without the help of doctors (including surgeons). It all depends on what exactly caused the inflammation of the lymph nodes.
The rules are as follows: if the lymph node has become troublesome because of a cold, then you can resort to home treatment. If pus is formed during inflammation, which indicates a serious infection, you should immediately consult with your doctor and receive treatment. You may have to remove the affected lymph node to avoid sepsis. If the knot in the neck has become dense and almost static and does not pass for 2 months, this may indicate that the body has a malignant tumor. Here we will need very serious measures.
How does it appear and why does it occur?
On the development of inflammation of the lymph nodes will indicate the following symptoms:
- pain, redness, induration (the node may be the size of a pea or even a chicken egg) in the area of the lymph nodes;
- pain when swallowing;
- weakness, malaise.
Why are lymph nodes on the neck enlarged? The causes of this phenomenon are associated with the function that these entities perform. They are responsible for the processes occurring in the soft tissues of the face and neck, in the ears and in the mouth. Therefore, they most often become inflamed due to such health problems:
- infections - flu, ARVI, tonsillitis, angina, chickenpox, stomatitis, gingivitis, rubella, otitis media; dental diseases - periodontitis, caries;
- deterioration of immunity caused by increased levels of pathogenic cells. This occurs with undertreated illness, stress, hypothermia, vitamin deficiency;
- cancer lymphatic tissue;
- tuberculosis infection;
- lymph node injury;
- metabolic disease;
- thyroid disease;
- allergic reactions;
How to treat lymph nodes?
In order for the lymph nodes to return to their normal size, the immunity should be strengthened and the infection destroyed.
As for the treatment, the lymph nodes are treated only for diseases of the connective tissue, in other cases they are struggling with the cause. Traditional conservative therapy is as follows:
- UHF, UV-therapy, electrophoresis with potassium iodine, magnetic therapy, galvanization are widely used;
- anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed. To eliminate swelling and inflammation, prescribe Ketorolac, Nimesulide, Cetirizine;
- antibiotic therapy is resorted to if the disease is caused by a bacterial infection or purulent complications develop. Most often used Summamed, Amoxicillin, Augmentin, Amoxiclav;
- lidocaine blockade with antibiotic added may be performed;
- For the treatment of viral lymphadenitis, antiviral drugs are used - Acyclovir, Rimantadine;
- the patient is prescribed bed rest, plentiful drinking and taking vitamins.
Purulent inflammation is treated by surgery to clean the lymph nodes.
What to use for home treatment?
If you have suffered a cold on your feet, then you may well find yourself in a situation when a lump appeared on your neck. What it can be - it is clear - an enlarged lymph node (a photo of the inflamed node will help diagnose the problem) But the reason for which it grew in size can only be accurately determined by the doctor after the diagnosis.-
In cases where the cause of lymphadenitis is approximately clear, there is no temperature, and the state as a whole is more or less normal, you can use the traditional methods to eliminate the problem. If you don’t have to deal with a problem and you don’t know what to do if your lymph node has become inflamed on your neck, use these methods at home:
- lotion with dimexide diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 1;
- Herbal tea - wormwood, currant leaves, elderberry and lavender flowers, taken in equal amounts. They should be crushed and pour 1 liter of boiling water. Insist in a thermos, drain. Drink instead of tea;
- Echinacea. It is sold in a pharmacy. In a glass of water dilute 10 cap. facilities. Take 4 p. per day;
- chicory. Take 20 g of chicory, brew a glass of boiling water;
- tincture of raspberry roots. For its preparation will need 250 grams of such plant materials. Crushed roots are sprinkled with sugar (0.5 kg). All put in a 3-liter jar. 100 g of boiling water are poured and kept in a water bath for 8 hours. The infusion is adjusted to condition, leaving it in a dark place for several days. Drink daily 1 tbsp. l .;
- decoctions for gargling: from mint, calendula and chamomile (they are taken in equal quantities); from 0.5 tsp. salts and soda dissolved in a glass of water;
- compress from celandine. The plant should be washed, chopped, squeezed juice. Mix it with alcohol (for 1 tablespoon juice of 1 tablespoon alcohol);
- acetic compress. Mix vinegar in half with water. Compress lay on the back of the neck. Change it every 10 minutes;
- Ichthyol ointment. Apply gauze soaked in this tool;
- vitamin C. It is taken three times a day, 250 mg-500 mg;
- medical composition of 100 g of honey, the same amount of fat. These ingredients are mixed and consumed in 1 tbsp. l., drinking down one glass of milk.
From pharmaceuticals, you can use Vishnevsky ointment, Mirra cream and Malavtilin. In addition, it is useful to drink blueberry and beet juice (no more than 100 ml at a time); Aloe juice (1 tbsp. every day) and eat garlic.
How can you not be treated?
As you already understood, swollen lymph node can warn about very dangerous diseases. Therefore, in order not to aggravate your condition and not to mess things up, never use such dubious methods of treatment:
- warming up with the help of heating pads or warming compresses;
- rubbing the inflamed area;
- iodine grid.
This "treatment" leads to the spread of infection through the blood vessels and may even result in the death of the patient.
Is it possible to prevent swollen lymph nodes?
No preventive measures will protect against cervical lymphadenitis, as up to 100 diseases can provoke such inflammation. But in order to somehow insure yourself against such a nuisance, you should follow these rules:
- correctly treat ARVI;
- avoid hypothermia and drafts;
- to harden the body, contributing to the strengthening of the immune system;
- try to avoid microtraumas;
- maintain personal hygiene.
So, if you find that a lymph node is inflamed in the neck, what should I do? Immediately start self-treatment is extremely dangerous! It is better to first find out the true cause of inflammation. It is clear that only an expert can name it. And remember: if not one, but several lymph nodes are enlarged at once, then no lotions and compresses - immediately go to the medical facility!