The concept of subfebrile temperature is not very familiar, however, it is necessary to understand it, since everyone can come across it. Subfebrile indicates inflammation in the body, and is also a sign of various conditions that are not associated with inflammatory processes.
Usually, people pay attention to fever only when they feel unwell or have pain in some part of the body. At the same time, experts believe that with subfebrile it is necessary to consult physicians for an accurate diagnosis. Deceit subfebrile temperature lies in the fact that it does not give special cause for concern, while the disease continues to progress and develop.
What is subfebrile body temperature?
Let us understand what types of fever are, and what characteristics it is characterized by.
Hyperthermia- This is an elevated body temperature, at which the sick person exhibits the symptoms of a particular disease. Usually due to the fact that the symptoms of the disease are quite pronounced, it is easy for doctors to make one or another diagnosis. It is necessary to deal with the disease itself, as the fever will pass by itself.
Fever- it is also a high body temperature of unknown origin. With this disease, no other symptoms appear, except for an increase in temperature. In fever, a thermometer can show more than 38 and 5 degrees, and this figure lasts for about two weeks, or even longer. In this situation, not every doctor can deal with the cause of the disease.
AND low-grade fever: A patient for quite a long time has indications of more than 37 degrees, but not above 38.3. No other symptoms subfebrile is not accompanied.
Subfebrile temperature holds: causes
Allot infectious and non-infectious causes of subfebrile temperature. The first thing suspicion falls on infectious diseases.
- Tuberculosis.When this disease often develops a slight fever. At risk are people who have been in direct and long-term contact with a patient with tuberculosis in any form. It is especially dangerous to be with the patient in the open form of tuberculosis in the same room, for example, in an office, apartment or house entrance. It may also be the cause of a subfebrile condition of previously transferred tuberculosis, or when residual changes are present in the lungs, this can be detected by fluorography.
- Focal infections. Many are convinced that the rise in temperature is due to the presence of chronic infections. However, the situation is complicated by the fact that diseases such as sinusitis, tonsillitis, prostatitis, cholecystitis, etc., usually do not cause an increase in body temperature. A way out of the situation will be a comprehensive examination of the body and treatment by a competent doctor.
- Chronic toxoplasmosisoften accompanied by subfebrile condition, however, as well as chronic brucellosis.
- With acute rheumatic fever it is usually observed just such a temperature, and not hyperthermia or fever.
- Subfebrile condition can also occur due to an infectious disease, which is post-viral asthenia syndrome. In such a situation, an increased degree of the body should not cause any particular cause for concern, since it will pass within a few months, in rare cases it can last up to six months. But if you have suffered from typhoid fever, then in such a situation a long subfebrile condition indicates incomplete recovery and proceeds along with other signs of the disease.
No less common are non-infectious causes of low-grade fever.
- Thyrotoxicosis. In addition to elevated temperature, this disease is characterized by emotional instability and nervousness, palpitations and sweating, weakness and increased fatigue, weight loss with normal or even increased appetite. To identify thyrotoxicosis, it is enough to pass tests for thyroid stimulating hormone in the blood.
- Physiological causes. In many cases, low-grade fever is an individual feature of the body and is considered an acceptable norm. It can also manifest itself against the background of sports loads and emotional experiences, appears after a heavy meal or staying in a stuffy hot room. In women, this temperature occurs in the second half of the menstrual phase, and with the onset of menses, it returns to normal. Sometimes subfebrile condition accompanies the first months of pregnancy.
- Psycho-autonomic causes. About a third of people who have subfebrile temperature have psycho-vegetative diseases of a nature, which doctors consider to be a manifestation of a sign of vegetative dystonia, for example, in case of thermoneurosis, vegetative neurosis. The subfebrile condition in such people can last for several years. In addition to psycho-emotional stress, the temperature rise develops under the influence of allergization, endocrine disregulation or as a result of traumatic brain injury.
Most often subfebrile temperature is diagnosed in children in the process of sexual development, first-year students and young girls.
Long subfebrile temperature and its treatment
There is no universal recipe for how to treat subfebrile, because you first need to identify the cause of the disease. Only a doctor can do this.
However, even experts can not always tell the full picture of the disease and assure the patient that he has primary hyperthermia. But this does not mean that you should refuse to consult a general practitioner. He will advise you to pass the necessary tests - urinalysis, biochemical and complete blood count, blood test for hormones, examination of all organs with the help of ultrasound. And already on the basis of these studies will be assigned to treatment.
If you have a high body temperature for a long time, do not panic. Perhaps this is for you the norm and feature of the body. And even if it indicates signs of disease, most of them are successfully treated. The main thing is not to postpone the visit to the doctor. Be healthy!