"Arbidol" is included in the group of immunomodulators - agents that provoke the production of interferon and promote the growth of general and hormonal immunity. The action of the drug is cumulative and prolonged. It has long established itself as a reliable remedy for flu and colds in adults and children, but a serious disadvantage could be the high price that makes Arbidol not accessible to all segments of the population. What can replace it, especially when it comes to treating children?
"Arbidol": the main characteristics of the drug
This drug has an antiviral effect, inhibiting viruses of groups A and B, preventing the fusion of their lipid membranes with membranes. Thus, there is a creation of a protective shell of viral infections (ARVI, acute respiratory infections, etc.), as well as reducing the risk of complications from the resulting disease, the strength of intoxication, heat, shortening the duration of the disease.
- The active ingredient of the drug is arbidol; in capsules is in pure form, in tablets is associated with auxiliary components that form the shell and are responsible for the consistency of the drug.
- "Arbidol" is available in tablets and capsules. All of them are divided into adults and children, depending on the concentration of 1 piece: 50 mg of anhydrous substance for the pediatric version, and 100 mg for the adult. There is also a version of "Arbidol Maximum", where the concentration of the active substance per capsule is 200 mg. Cream-white tablets, capsules yellow, with white and greenish-yellow granules.
Tablets are recommended to be purchased precisely according to direction - to a child or an adult, however, capsules can be bought in any dosage: their contents can be weighed in grams easily, thereby not departing from the instructions.
The main positive aspect of Arbidol is its minimal toxicity, as a result of which the drug is almost devoid of contraindications and side effects, and can also be used in the smallest patients and pregnant women (under the supervision of a physician). Metabolization occurs in the liver, half-life is carried out in the interval of 17-21 hours from the moment of taking the drug. The drug is removed with bile, and only its minimum percentage is with urine.
- The rapid absorption of "Arbidol" leads to the fact that the effect of its use can be fixed after 1.2 hours for a dosage of 50 mg, and after 1.5 hours for a dosage of 100 mg. The patient has a decrease in temperature, weakening of intoxication.
Despite this "instant response", often the therapy with "Arbidol" is of a preventive nature: a course of 14-21 days is carried out during the period of exacerbation of the virus, or at the time of the appearance of ghostly symptoms of a possible illness. If the norm of the active substance is not exceeded, such prophylaxis will not have a negative effect on the body, even in the case of "false alarm".
Instructions for use "Arbidola"
The main indications for the inclusion of "Arbidol" in therapy (both prophylactic and against acute conditions) are any viral diseases, including contact with their carriers, as well as complications after surgery. The dosage and schedule of the drug is lined up depending on the severity of the problem.
In case of prophylaxis, therapy is as follows:-
- in contact with persons suffering from acute respiratory infections and acute respiratory viral infections, the course lasts 14 days; children up to 6 years old are given 50 mg of the drug, children under 12 years old - 100 mg of the drug, adults - 200 mg of the drug. Reception is one-time;
- during a virus outbreak, the course lasts 21 days; the dosage is the same as in contact with patients;
- for the prevention of complications after surgery, the dosage is unchanged, reception begins 2 days before surgery, and then repeated after 2 and 5 days;
- As prevention of severe acute respiratory disease in children under 6 years old, Arbidol is not given, for children up to 12 - 100 mg, for adults - 200 mg. Admission is a one-time course - 14 days.
For the treatment of a chronic or acute condition, "Arbidol" is used in children from 3 years old (previously under medical supervision), the dosages remain unchanged, only the frequency of drug use varies:
- ARI and ARVI, intestinal rotavirus infections - up to 4 times a day, with an interval of 6 hours; course - 5 days;
- manifestation of complications after acute respiratory infections and acute respiratory viral infections requires an extension of the course for 28 days, during which admission is carried out one-time;
- with SARS, treatment is allowed only in children over 12 years, taking 2 times a day, the course lasts 8 days;
- possible treatment of chronic bronchitis - during the week every 6 hours at a standard dose according to age, then every 3 days a single dose, for 28 days (total - 9 repetitions);
"Arbidol" must be taken before meals, for 20-30 minutes, washing down the capsule with warm water (100-150 ml). If it is necessary to give medicine to the child, the contents of the capsule are poured into the liquid, mixing with it.
Analogs "Arbidola" for children and adults
This drug has really proven itself on the pharmaceutical market from the best side, however, it was not without a fly in the ointment, which was its price: 10 capsules in a dosage of 100 mg cost about 250-280 rubles, and this is the minimum limit. Thus, the drug was not available to everyone, and it became necessary to find out how to replace Arbidol. Chemically, the cheap analogue of Arbidol does not exist - the only full-fledged generic is in a higher price category: Pangrol, produced in capsule format. But you can pick up drugs of similar principle of action and with identical indications for use. The list of analogs of "Arbidol" is cheaper and with the most approximate characteristics is presented below.
- Kagocel Immunomodulator, working on the basis of the same component. Included in the category of products used for prophylaxis, and as a “quick response”, unlike “Arbidol”, does not work - the maximum concentration of the active substance in the blood is observed 48 hours after taking the pill. But the prolonged effect lasts 5 days, the drug is non-toxic. Recommended for the prevention and treatment of herpes, viral infections. Undesirable for use in children under 6 years of age. Packing cost - 224 rub.
- Rimantadine. The cheapest analogue of "Arbidol", working on the same component. Antiviral drug, focused on the strains of group A, is used to prevent tick-borne encephalitis, influenza during an epidemic. It may also be included in therapy for early treatment. Allowed to children from 7 years old, is unacceptable for thyrotoxicosis, liver and kidney diseases, pregnancy. Packing cost - 60 rub.
- Antigrippin. It works due to paracetamol and vitamin C, it is effective for the initial stage of a viral infection: it lowers the temperature and reduces headache, improves the body resistance. The lack of the drug - a large number of contraindications, including gastrointestinal diseases, hepatic and renal failure. Tablets are allowed for children from 3 years old, powder - from 15 years. The cost of tablets - 110 rubles.
- Anaferon. For a long time there was a debate about the nature of this drug - it was attributed either to homeopathic remedies or to food additives. In fact, it is the same immunomodulator that works on the basis of purified antibodies. Available in child and adult format, allowed to use in pregnant and lactating women. It does not have side effects and contraindications, and is used for treatment and prevention. From the point of view of the ratio of safety and spectrum of impact, it is closest to Arbidol, but does not have an instant effect. Packing cost - 190 rub.
Summing up, it is worth noting that Arbidol does not have a full-fledged budget equivalent: Belarus and Ukraine have this drug under different names, but its cost, respectively, is in the same range as the Russian version. "Pangrol" is much more expensive, and other drugs listed in the list differ in chemical composition and spectrum of action. Therefore, the doctor should select a replacement for "Arbidol" for a particular case.