Lingonberry is a shrub of the heather family, with elongated green leaves and branched stems. Cowberry fruits are round, bright red berries. They usually ripen from August to September. Botanists call this plant "lingonberry," although, according to ancient tributes and legends, it is not at all ordinary. Exactly Lingonberry in the old days was called "the berry of immortality." This plant has many beneficial properties and can help in the treatment of many serious diseases. In addition, our ancestors, who lived long ago, said that there were good forces in the lingonberries.
Description of lingonberry
Lingonberry is an evergreen plant. There is a legend about how lingonberries acquired this property. It says that once swallow flew, which carried in its beak living water to give people immortality. But on its way, the swallow met the evil wasp, which stung her. Swallow shed live water on cedar, pine and lingonberries. Ever since, lingonberries, like conifers, have become an evergreen.
Lingonberry is widespread in Russia. This berry owes its extensive habitat, above all, to birds and animals. Its seeds are not digested in their digestive system, which promotes the dispersal of berries, even to distant territories. This shrub grows in coniferous and deciduous forests. However, this plant still prefers spruce and pine forests. It can also be found in the tundra. Lingonberry is very actively used in food, because it has a pleasant sour taste. However, its use does not end there. This berry has many medicinal properties that were known firsthand by our ancestors.
The composition of lingonberries
First of all, lingonberry is useful because it contains a lot of vitamins needed by man. It contains vitamins: A, B, C, and E. In addition to vitamins, lingonberries contain many minerals. It boasts the presence of potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus. This berry is important for the body and because of the content of useful organic acids in it, for example, malic, citric and salicylic. Also, lingonberries have tannins, carotene, as well as proteins and carbohydrates, which are also important for the human body.
The calorie content of this berry is not so great. One hundred grams of the product contains about forty six kilocalories. However, this, small at first glance, figure is significantly higher than the calorific value of some overseas fruits.
Useful properties of cranberries
- The properties of lingonberry, bringing invaluable benefits, have been known for a long time. Benefit lies not only in the berries, but also in the leaves and twigs of lingonberries, and the root of the plant is used in magic to expel evil spirits. The beneficial properties of the plant, of course, due to its composition.
- Lingonberry berries are stored for a long time due to the fact that they contain benzoic acid. Lingonberry has anti-inflammatory, sedative, anti-rot and diuretic properties.
- Lingonberry berries have tonic properties. It is useful to apply them for hypertension, neurosis, gout and rheumatism. Also, the berries should be used in diseases of the digestive system, such as: gastritis (provided that the acidity is lowered), as well as in the event of diarrhea. Lingonberry also helps with liver, cuts and urinary tract diseases. If the berries of lingonberry or lingonberry syrup to use constantly, you can affect the health of your eyesight. A light laxative effect and the ability to reduce body temperature has lingonberry juice diluted with water.
- Lingonberry leaves also have a lot of useful substances. These parts of the shrub have health and healing properties, have a positive effect on the body. Lingonberry leaves have an excellent antiseptic effect, as they contain a substance called arbutin. In addition to the antiseptic on the account of the leaves, you can record and astringent properties, which are provided by the content of tannins.
- In addition, the leaves of lingonberry can be found antioxidants, which contribute to the removal of harmful substances from the body. With the help of antioxidants the body is able to fight free radicals. As a result of the victory in this fight of antioxidants, you will get a significant improvement in health.
Lingonberry leaves are famous for their choleretic, immunomodulating, antimicrobial and astringent properties. Doctors usually prescribe this tool to combat edema, prostatitis, pyelonephritis, diseases of the oral cavity, pneumonia and bronchitis, gastritis and other diseases.
Cowberry berries and leaves are used in cosmetology.. The presence of benzoic acid in the berries allows them to be an excellent anti-rotten and vitamin remedy. Rescues lingonberries and in the event of irritation, inflammation, itching, struggling with dandruff and hair loss. All these properties are possible due to the anti-inflammatory, astringent and disinfectant properties of lingonberries. For the face it is good to use lingonberry to combat wrinkles and skin fading. To do this, use a face mask from the juice of berries of cranberries. This mask promotes intensive moisturizing of the skin, which helps to fight the signs of aging. The antioxidants contained in lingonberries help it to be an excellent preservative in cosmetics. This preservative practically does not cause allergic reactions, because it is natural. Antioxidants also have a positive effect on skin elasticity.
Lingonberry extract has a good tonic effect. It is able to strengthen the cells of the epidermis, saturate the skin with vitamins and stimulate metabolic processes in it. Therefore, cosmetic companies produce tonics, washing gels and scrubs based on lingonberry extract.
The benefits of lingonberries - there is. It was not for nothing that our ancestors called it “king-berry” and “berry of immortality”. This plant is able to cope with many ailments. In addition, the leaves and berries of lingonberries help women to prolong their youth and take care of their beauty. Therefore, the use of this berry for food, medicinal and cosmetic purposes will give you health and beauty. The fact that you can cook from the berries of lingonberries, read the article Preparations of lingonberries. How to store lingonberries ?.