Viral infections are accompanied by sore throat, nasal congestion and ears. For colds, ear problems are most often the result of a bad cold, but in some cases indicate a more serious illness. If you have an ear with a cold, what to do, why could this happen and for what ailments this phenomenon is characteristic?
Why does pain appear and lays ears in case of catarrhal diseases?
Blame the structure of our hearing aid, consisting of the external, internal and middle ear. Normally, the pressure in the cavity between the outer and the inner ear and in the ear canal should be the same. The Eustachian tube connecting the pharynx and the ear cavity is responsible for this parameter. Normal pressure keeps the air constantly circulating through it.
During a cold, the passage of air through the Eustachian tube is difficult. The pressure is unstable, and the eardrum draws into the cavity of the middle ear - a discomfortable sensation of congestion appears. Often it is accompanied by dizziness, nausea and darkening of the eyes.
If you do not know what to do if you have an ear with a cold, first of all, sign up for an examination by a specialist (otolaryngologist). A symptom may indicate more serious causes:
- sinusitis - it is often accompanied by headaches, discomfort in the region of the maxillary sinuses;
- otitis - additionally observed: earaches, aggravated at night, headache, discharge from the auricle, poor hearing, high fever, accompanied by weakness;
- the curvature of the nasal septum, which is often the root cause of snoring.
How and what to treat the laid ears with a cold?
If your ear is laid during a cold, it is a reason to seek help from a specialist. Remember that neglected diseases can cause hearing loss and lead to hearing loss. Medical assistance includes the following drugs:
- antiviral agents;
- nasal drops with vasoconstrictor action (Naphthyzinum, Evkazolin, Ephedrine). Do not use them for too long. With prolonged use, there is a risk of drying out the nasal mucosa;
- ear drops with anti-inflammatory components and analgesic effect (Otipaks, Otinum, Garazon). They are used according to the recommendation of the doctor. It is forbidden to use when perforating the eardrum. Ear drops with ear congestion well remove puffiness, eliminate pain, kill bacteria;
- ointment for ears with antibacterial effect (Sofradex, Vishnevsky ointment). Sofrodex contains antibiotics, which are contraindicated for a certain category of patients.
Ear treatment with home remedies
Home remedies will help to cope with ear congestion: compresses, infusions, decoctions, natural antibiotics.
- A candle is cut out of the bulb, placed in the ear canal, covered with cotton wool. A warm fabric is put on top (you can use a scarf or a woolen scarf). Candle leave until morning. The procedure is repeated in the evening. During the day, it is advisable to place a piece of ordinary cotton wool in the ear canal.
- If you put an ear during a cold, calendula tincture will help to cope with this. It is prepared as follows: 2 tbsp. l 500 ml of vodka is poured over dried flowers. Insist 2 weeks in a dark place. For compresses ½ tsp. tinctures in ½ st. warm water. In case of external otitis, the solution is instilled in an amount of 2 drops in the morning and evening.
- Impose alcohol compresses. To do this, a sore ear is covered with a bandage moistened in an alcohol solution (it is mixed with water in equal amounts to eliminate skin burns). On top of the bandage put a plastic bag, covered with a woolen cloth. Take it all off in the morning.
How to prepare an ointment to eliminate discomfort?
If you have laid an ear, then knowing how to treat it at home with an ointment, you can reduce pain, reduce inflammation.-
Recipe number 1
4 tbsp. l powder celandine stirred with 2 tbsp. l lanolin and vaseline. The ointment is used for 7 days, lubricating the external auditory canal in the morning, afternoon and evening. Store at room temperature.
Recipe number 2
In 1 tbsp. vegetable oil melt a piece of beeswax (the size of a matchbox). When the wax has melted, half boiled yolk is added to the mixture, in small portions. All is thoroughly mixed, remove the dishes from the heat, give the mixture to infuse for 15 minutes. Then filter.
A little ointment on a cotton wool is inserted inside the ear canal, periodically changed. It helps well with purulent otitis and inflammation. The ointment is stored in a glass container in the refrigerator.
What if a symptom appears after a cold?
In rare cases, it happens that the viral infection has passed, and the congestion in the ears is still preserved. But more time is needed to treat otitis and inflammation in the ear. And to get rid of unpleasant sensations, you can use the following recommendations.
Do an exercise that normalizes the pressure in the Eustachian tube:
- Hold your nose lightly with your fingers and slowly push the air back out.
- Do not unclasp your nose and swallow.
- Do not blow the air out too much: it can damage the eardrum.
What to do if after a rhinitis lay ear, and at hand there is nothing? Take advantage of a simple massage. For 15-20 minutes, gently massage the wings of the nose and the area behind the ears with fingertips.
What should be avoided?
When ears are stuffed during a cold, it is strictly forbidden:
- use sharp objects to clear the ear canal;
- wash the ears with a solution of salt or soda;
- bury boric alcohol inside the ear;
- blowing through both nostrils (from this instantly lays the ears);
- visit the bath or sauna;
- engage in active sports;
- warm the ears with purulent otitis.
If the congestion in the ears does not pass, do not pull on a visit to the otolaryngologist, follow the home regime and all the recommendations of the doctor. The specialist will prescribe an effective treatment that will help prevent serious complications and preserve the hearing in full.