The health of the baby during the formation of the body and the immune system is always subjected to serious tests. Often, against the background of viral, acute respiratory and infectious diseases, a child may develop laryngitis. Symptoms and treatment of it in children of different age categories have their own characteristics.
Laryngitis: symptoms and treatment in children
Laryngitis is considered a very dangerous disease. During the development of such a disease, the larynx is inflamed. As medical practice shows, the patient's age has a direct impact on the severity of the disease. Kids under the age of 3 years are much worse and more difficult to tolerate such a pathology. Many causes can contribute to the development of laryngitis, including inhalation of cooled or polluted air.
In general, laryngitis is classified into two large groups:
Also, the treating specialists single out several more specific types of such ailment:
Each form has its own characteristic symptoms. Before we consider the symptoms of this disease more specifically, let's find out what is the general picture of such a pathology. The general symptoms of laryngitis in children include:
- redness of the mucous coating of the throat;
- the appearance of edema;
- the presence of bleeding from the site of the development of the inflammatory process;
- runny nose;
- partial or complete loss of voice;
- difficulty of respiratory processes as a result of the appearance of edema;
- barking cough;
- dry mucous coating of the oral cavity;
As a rule, with the development of laryngitis in a baby, the body temperature can rise to an insignificant mark. Less frequent high temperature. As already mentioned, all forms of laryngitis have their own specific symptoms. Let's take a closer look at each type of pathology.
Catarrhal and hypertrophic laryngitis
With the development of catarrhal-type laryngitis in a baby, which is considered the most harmless form of pathology, symptoms may be observed that are very similar to the common cold. These include:
- throat sensation;
- loss of voice (full or partial);
- dry cough;
- hoarse voice;
- slight increase in temperature;
- complicated breathing due to the appearance of edema in the upper part of the respiratory tract.
With the development of hypertrophic type laryngitis, the baby may manifest all of the above symptoms. Most often there is a difficulty in the respiratory process, since this type of disease is characterized by the growth of the mucous coating of the larynx.
Hemorrhagic form of the disease
The hemorrhagic type of laryngitis is a particular danger to the health of the crumbs. The main characteristic feature of this disease is the appearance of discharge from the throat with a blood admixture. The attending specialist can identify hemorrhage in the ligamentous tissue, as well as under the mucous coating of the larynx. In addition, laryngitis of hemorrhagic type has additional characteristic symptoms:
- dry mucous coating of the oral cavity;
- dry cough, having paroxysmal character;
- sensation of having a body of foreign origin in the airways.
This form of laryngitis in a baby may appear against the background of the development of other pathologies, in particular:
- violations of the cardiovascular system;
- failures in the process of blood formation;
- the presence of liver pathologies;
- influenza diseases of toxic origin.
Diphtheria, phlegmonous and atrophic laryngitis
Diphtheria-type laryngitis develops in the presence of laryngotracheitis. During the development of this pathology, the infection spreads from the affected tonsils to the upper parts of the larynx.
It is extremely rare in medical practice found laryngitis phlegmonous type. Such a disease can occur as a result of injury, weakening the immune defense of the body. This form of laryngitis has the following symptoms:-
- increase in body temperature to high elevations;
- damage to muscle, ligamentous and cartilage tissue;
- pain when swallowing water, food or saliva;
- insufficiency of inhaled air;
- lymph node inflammation.
Laryngitis of atrophic type, as a rule, does not occur in babies. This pathology is primarily due to the thinning of the mucous coating of the larynx.
Features of the acute form of pathology
Initially, laryngitis begins to develop in an acute form. If the pathology is not treated in a timely manner, a chronic disease can develop that will accompany the person constantly. Symptoms of acute laryngitis include:
- temperature rise to 38 °;
- dry barking cough;
- pallor of the skin;
- difficulty breathing;
- hoarse voice.
At the age of 3 years in children with the development of acute-type laryngitis, so-called false croup may appear. Most often, this symptom appears during a night's sleep. It becomes difficult for the baby to breathe air, and his breath can be heard from a distance. This syndrome often appears in children who have a predisposition to the development of allergic reactions. In severe cases, against the background of false croup, crumbs can develop asphyxia, which is fraught with complicated consequences and even death. That is why it is so important in the manifestation of primary symptoms to contact the attending specialist.
Treatment of symptoms of acute laryngitis in children is carried out in two ways:
It includes the following aspects:
- intake of fortified drugs;
- eating only warm foods;
- heavy drinking;
- compresses and inhalation manipulations;
- taking pharmacological preparations that have an expectorant effect;
- taking antibiotic and desensitizing pharmaceuticals;
- passage of physiotherapeutic procedures.
Dr. Komarovsky gives advice
Many parents carefully study the books written by the famous pediatrician Komarovsky, as well as watching his television program with interest. In one of his programs, Komarovsky told about the features of the treatment of symptoms of laryngitis. Here is what pediatrician advises parents:
- bed rest should be provided;
- Give your baby plenty of warm drink;
- it is necessary to gargle the baby with alkaline-based solutions;
- the child should take cough pharmacological drugs;
- Give antibiotic drugs to your baby only after they are appointed by a specialist and if viral laryngitis develops;
- constantly ventilate the room and keep the air clean;
- do the child inhalation manipulations and foot baths.
If there are special indications, Dr. Komarovsky advises to undergo a surgical procedure to remove laryngeal polyps. The doctor does not recommend to carry out the treatment on his own. The attending specialist must make a diagnosis and identify the cause of the development of the disease. The nature of the disease and the form of its development will determine the tactics of treatment.
How to treat laryngitis at home?
If the baby has laryngitis in a lightened form and does not entail complicated consequences, the doctor may prescribe outpatient treatment. In special cases, when there is a threat to life, the child is immediately hospitalized. If parents treat the symptoms of laryngitis in children at home, then they must unconditionally comply with all medical recommendations. First of all, it concerns the dosage and duration of administration of pharmacological drugs.
In order to quickly cure the disease at home, parents must perform the following actions:
- give the child prescribed pharmacological preparations with antiviral and antibacterial characteristics;
- give only warm food and plenty of drink;
- do potato inhalation procedures;
- give the child beet or carrot juice, aloe with honey;
- make warm foot baths;
- put mustard plasters;
- give the child antipyretic pharmaceuticals, but only after consultation with the attending specialist;
- make compresses with onion pulp and radish;
- Do not give your baby spicy or overly salty foods, and also seasoned with spices.
Laryngitis is a very dangerous and insidious disease. Most often, this disease appears in children. Self-treatment should not be. Parents should treat the baby only under the strict supervision of a physician. When the slightest symptoms appear, do not postpone the visit to the doctor, and if you have difficulty breathing, immediately call an ambulance for the crumbs. Health to you and your kids!