Ketoconazole is an antifungal agent. It is very effective, both when administered orally and when used externally. Before starting treatment, you should carefully study the instructions for its use. Prescribe the drug can only the attending physician, after identifying the cause of the disease.
Appointed ketoconazole for the occurrence of fungal diseases of the nails, skin, hair, vagina, urinary organs, oral cavity, organs of the digestive tract, etc. The remedy is also used as a prophylaxis of fungal diseases if the human body has weak immunity to fungal bacteria that cause mycosis. The doctor may prescribe this drug in the form of a cream, ointment, shampoo, pills or vaginal suppositories. Moreover, each form of its release has its own specific dosage and duration of treatment.
Ketoconazole in pill form should be taken 1 time per day, and they can be administered to both children and adults. The course of treatment is from 2 to 8 weeks.
Ketoconazole suppositories are prescribed for adults, and one candle must be used per day for 3-5 days.
You can also use ketoconazole externally. For example: the cream should be applied to the affected area of the fungus skin once a day, while it should be smeared and a small area of healthy skin, located next to the affected. After the symptoms of the disease disappear, treatment should continue.
Ketoconazole in the form of a shampoo is used to treat seborrheic dermatitis and pityriasis. It is also used to prevent dandruff and treat it. Apply it in the following way: apply to hair, rinse off on 3-5 mini with warm water. Perform these manipulations should be within 5 days daily. Should not allow shampoo in the eyes, if suddenly it happened, they should be immediately rinsed with water.
In case of skipping the drug, it is necessary to take the next dose as soon as possible. The tool will be able to effectively fight infections only in the event that a certain amount of it is constantly present in the body. If the interval between taking the drug is too large, then you do not need to double the dose, it is better to take it during a meal to increase the effectiveness of the drug.
Like all other pharmacological agents, ketoconazole has side effects, but they are noted in certain situations. Thus, some patients have nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, itching, skin rash, headache. A little less, joint pain, dizziness, drowsiness, and decreased sexual desire may occur. If a patient has similar symptoms, he should immediately stop taking the remedy.
Pregnant women and mothers who are breastfeeding a child should start taking the drug only after prescribing it by the attending physician and strictly following the dosage and treatment. The tool is able to penetrate into breast milk, so if this drug was prescribed to the breast feeding patient, she should stop feeding for a while.
In pregnant women, it was found that taking ketoconazole tablets has a negative effect on the development in the womb, and can even cause various defects. That is why the drug in the form of tablets is prohibited for pregnant women and lactating mothers. But the agent in the form of an ointment or cream is allowed, as well as shampoo, because they do not penetrate into the blood.
With extreme caution, ketoconazole should be used for medicinal purposes to people who have impaired functioning of the kidneys, liver and pituitary gland. During treatment, the state of the blood should always be under the supervision of the attending physician. If there is a malfunction of the liver and kidneys, then the drug should be stopped immediately. And if such violations arise constantly or are amplified, then the doctor will have to prescribe a pharmacological agent for the treatment.
If, in addition to ketoconazole, the patient is taking other drugs, then there is a risk of enhancing the toxic effects. In the case when the doctor prescribed ketoconazole in the form of an ointment to the patient, you should carefully read the instructions for her, because it will describe what means you can use with her. This applies to contraceptive pills, indirect coagulants, antacid agents and several other pharmacological agents.
This drug has its counterparts. For example: mycoral, ketoconazole-altpharm, livarol. You can still try to use nizoral.
In addition, there are other drugs with similar effects:
- Fungistat. It is produced in India, the form of release - tablets. 1 tablet contains 200 mg of ketoconazole - its main active ingredient. He is appointed most often for fungal lesions of the gastrointestinal tract, organs of the urogenital system, skin, nails, hair, and other systemic mycoses. It is possible to use fungistat as a preventive measure for fungal diseases. Small children and babies weighing up to 30 kg are prescribed per 1 kg of weight from 4 to 8 mg of the drug, and for patients weighing more than 30 kg - 200-400 mg of the drug per day. The entire amount should be taken at a time with meals. But the exact course of treatment and the dosage of the drug should be prescribed only by the attending physician;
- Mikoket Form release funds - ointment. He is appointed for fungal and yeast skin lesions that occur as a result of the activity of pathogens that are sensitive to the drug. Signs of damage disappear even before the absence of the pathogen is detected through laboratory tests;
- Dandruff This shampoo contains 1% ketoconazole. The release of the funds are also engaged in Indian manufacturers. It is prescribed for mycoses of hair, dandruff, seborrhea, pityriasis. It is more suitable for the prevention of diseases than for their treatment. For treatment, the ketoconazole content in the preparation should be equal to 2%. You should be careful, because of the use of this tool, hair may start to fall out or an allergic reaction may occur.
Instructions: ketoconazole ointment
Independently begin the use of this drug is prohibited, you should first consult with your dermatologist. Indeed, for effective treatment it is always necessary to correctly identify the causative agent of the disease.
Nowadays, most adults on Earth are infected with mycosis. At the same time feet often suffer from them. And if the bacterium is in the body for too long, then it can weaken it, reduce immunity and cause allergies to drugs. One of the most common drugs in the treatment of mycoses is ketoconazole ointment. Its use allows you to get rid of many fungal diseases, and also participates in their prevention.
The drug is not expensive, its price is very reasonable. But it may vary by shape. For example: the drug in the form of candles is more expensive than others. Shampoo is a bit cheaper. The cheapest form of release is cream and ointment. In this case, the ointment will cost a little more.
Ketoconazole: consumer reviews
The vast majority of patients who use ketoconazole to treat various fungal diseases leave positive reviews about it.
- Irina: I bought ketoconazole of Moldavian production. It really helped me with candidiasis, in contrast to other drugs, which relieved symptoms only for a while. Effective remedy, I was pleased.
- Catherine: My husband suffers from dandruff. We have already tried many means against this scourge, it’s scary to think how much money was wasted, but there was no result. After visiting a dermatologist, they decided to buy ketoconazole shampoo, the effect appeared after 1 application. My husband washed his head for 3 weeks. A month after this dandruff is not observed, we really liked this tool!
- Konstantin: I have a foot fungus. Regularly acquired various ointments, but only some did not help at all, and some helped for a short time. They advised me to buy ketoconazole ointment, after several uses the symptoms disappeared!
Do not forget that every drug has both positive and negative effects. Therefore, before purchasing one or another form of ketoconazole release, you should consult with a qualified doctor. Do not self-medicate, it is very dangerous!