Children of 2-3 weeks of age can disturb their parents with a sharp, paroxysmal cry. This is usually how colic develops in a newborn. The symptoms of this disease should be known to every young mommy in time to recognize him and help the child.
Children's colic - a physiological phenomenon or disease?
According to statistics, about 65% of newly born babies suffer from this problem. How a newborn's colic manifests, symptoms and treatment of intestinal spasms is the information necessary for all parents who want to keep the child calm and have a positive microclimate in the family. The body of the baby, having lost its connection with the mother through the umbilical cord, is trying to adapt to receiving nutrients in a new way. It will take from 3 months to six months before the baby’s digestive system begins to function normally. You should not worry too much: this process of formation does not have a negative impact on the growth and harmonious development of the baby. Of course, it is unacceptable to remain idle for so much time watching how a beloved little creature suffers. But to help the child, it is necessary to differentiate the symptoms of colic in newborns from pain signals, indicating other, more serious, problems.
Intestinal colic in newborns: symptoms
- restless movements of the infant after feeding (more often in the afternoon);
- prolonged bouts of crying;
- redness of the skin when crying;
- the child waves his hands, presses his knees against his stomach to block the source of pain.
Your suspicions that the newborn intestinal colic, be sure to confirm by visiting a pediatrician. Self-diagnosis can lead to undesirable consequences, for example, it will not be possible to diagnose and start treatment for heartburn, urinary tract infections, and allergies to breast milk during all: these pathologies have similar symptoms.
How to avoid bowel cramps in your baby?
After making sure that it is intestinal colic that bothers the crumb, do not despair. There are many ways to see if not yet conscious, but the smile of a little son or daughter instead of a stream of tears. To prevent the child’s painful condition, it is necessary to carry out simple preventive actions.
- To carry out therapeutic exercises for newborns: put the baby on the stomach, then turn back and slowly stroke the tummy. Repeat the exercise several times.
- With swelling of the intestine to massage the tummy.
- When applied to the chest, make sure that the baby does not swallow air. If you are practicing artificial feeding, you need to purchase a nipple, which will prevent air ingestion.
- Feed the baby in a quiet, well-lit room, do not rush him.
- After the child is fed, hold it vertically for a while to get rid of the gas.
- After feeding, make a light back massage.
A nursing woman should follow a diet that excludes foods containing spicy seasonings, preservatives, full-fat milk or cheese, and carbonated drinks. Mom also needs to be in a stable emotional state - this will significantly reduce the risk of colic in the baby.-
Colic in infants: how to help?
If the intestinal spasms in the newborn still began to make themselves felt, it is necessary to supplement the preventive measures with treatment. Remedies for colic are simple and unpretentious, but quite effective:
- warm the baby with a heating pad, soft tissue on the tummy or a warm bath;
- Hold the baby close to him so that he warms up with the natural warmth of the mother's breast;
- make baby tummy massage in a clockwise direction;
- Prepare some dill at home: 1 tsp. dill seeds in 1 tbsp. boiling water, then insist 1, 5 hours and a teaspoon, let the baby between feedings;
- in the pharmacy, you can buy tea with fennel and drink baby a little;
- use according to the instructions of a medical drug against colic in newborns, for example, Espumizan or beneficial lactic and bifidobacteria;
- in severe cases, you can use the venting tube, but in no case should you resort to this method often.
To exclude possible allergies to the above proposed means for internal use, first visit the doctor.
In addition to generally accepted treatment methods, it is important not to forget about the moral and psychological connection between the newborn and the mother. Never put a child in bed if he is anxious or crying, no matter what the reason: he instinctively seeks help and protection from you. Applying a remedy, wait until the peanut fully calms down, because your presence and gentle touches are an important factor in the success of one or another method of eliminating spasms.
Successful care of the baby depends on the level of knowledge of the mother. Colic in the newborn, the symptoms of this minor, but very painful deviation in the work of the gastrointestinal tract during the adaptation period are a removable problem. It is only necessary to provide the baby with simple help and to make the first weeks of his life calm and happy, bright and joyful for the whole family.