The name Hyssop belongs to the well-known blue Hypericum. It grows in the steppes in central Russia, Asia, the Caucasus, southern Siberia, and the Mediterranean. In total there are 50 species of plants with such an unusual name.
In appearance, hyssop resembles a semi-shrub of a strong-smelling grass, 55 cm high.It blooms from July to September, fruits appear in the form of nuts. Used commonly as a fragrant spice. Its leaves are widely used in perfumery, medicine.
Hyssopus officinalis: properties
- By the number of medicinal properties, hyssop is similar to sage. It belongs to the strongest antiseptics with antistaphylococcal effects.
- In official medicine, it also found its use. Here, hyssop is used as a nootropic and biostimulant. Doctors recommend using it during the rehabilitation period after operations, long-term illnesses and injuries, as well as asthenic conditions.
- This herb improves attention and memory processes.
- In addition, possessing the properties of an antidepressant, hyssop does not provoke drowsiness.
- In addition, it accelerates the healing of burns, wounds, resolves hematomas and infiltrates.
- Has hyssop carminative, bactericidal and mild laxative effects, and also increases the appetite, thanks to the bitterness contained in it.
- During the treatment of colds, lowers the temperature, facilitates the general condition.
- Able to improve skin tone and soften it.
- He is known for its antispasmodic properties.
Hyssopus officinalis: application
In folk medicine, hyssop has been widely used for a long time. It is recommended to be taken orally as an antitussive and expectorant for diseases of the respiratory system. When milk stagnates during breastfeeding, compresses are made from its leaves. The same compresses help with purulent and inflammatory skin diseases. For dermatitis, pruritic dermatosis, eczema, hyssop leaves are used. Sometimes it is used to treat a hangover or alcohol poisoning. Infusion of hyssop helps in the treatment of gingivitis, stomatitis and tonsillitis.
The plant is also used to treat neurosis, angina pectoris, and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. It will help in violation of the digestive system. It will become indispensable for chronic bronchitis, the treatment of urinary tract inflammation, respiratory catarrh, bronchial asthma, and sore throat.
It is an excellent remedy for excessive sweating, worms, rheumatism and even conjunctivitis. Hyssop is used to treat bruises, bruises, hoarseness, laryngitis, bronchitis, tracheitis, inflammation of the eyes. It will be indispensable for anemia, chronic colitis and constipation. It is especially useful for older people, as it helps to improve the appetite and strengthen the stomach. You can achieve a positive effect by regularly taking drinks from hyssop.
- To prepare the drink will need 1 tbsp. l hyssop and 200 ml of boiling water. Pour boiling water over the grass, leave it to infuse for an hour, then strain. Drink this infusion should be warm for 20 minutes before a meal 3 p. per day 0.5 cups.
- You can use another recipe for making a drink from the hyssop. 10 g of grass should be poured 100 ml of vodka and leave for a week. Then strain. Drink tincture should be 2 p. per day for 1 tsp.
Hyssop: planting and care
It is possible to grow a useful plant and on own personal plot. It belongs to drought-resistant, unpretentious and winter-hardy cultures. Hyssopus officinalis refers to plants that are undemanding to care, but the soil is too wet for him is harmful. For planting it is best to choose dry and sunny land with light loamy soil. After landing, it can grow in one place for 10 years.
It usually blooms from July to September. If summer pruning inflorescences, it can bloom before the first snow falls. Very long retains its decoration. Its seeds are distinguished by dark brown color, oblong shape and small size.
After planting the plant must constantly weed, loosen the soil and ensure it is the right watering. After the seedling grows, care for him is almost not needed. Only in late autumn will require pruning the top of the shoots.
Watering an adult plant, even in drought, is not required.He has no diseases and pests. Winter can flowers without special shelter. Even after severe frosts, young shoots appear on the site of old bushes.
Hyssopus officinalis: photo
Before you decide on the admission of hyssop for medicinal purposes, it is necessary to consider the available contraindications. It should be used only after consulting a doctor under supervision, since the essential oils that make up the plant have potent properties. Children under 14 years of age and the elderly can take hyssop only in small doses. It is also not recommended to treat them for a long period of time. Hyssop is strictly contraindicated in children up to 2 years, as well as with high blood pressure, individual intolerance, pregnancy and epilepsy.
Hyssop is considered to be one of the most useful plants. It has a huge amount of medicinal properties and has found wide application not only in folk but also in official medicine. Hyssop has some contraindications, so it should be taken only after consulting with your doctor, strictly observing the dosage.!