When a runny nose appears, the nose does not breathe completely, it constantly flows out, everything dries up in the mouth. Often parents treat a runny nose to their children with drops. If the treatment process is delayed and your child does not feel relief, you should contact a specialist, as there may be complicated consequences in the form of sinusitis or adenoids. Today we will talk about how to treat adenoids in children. And first you need to find out the symptoms and causes of the disease.
From the point of view of physiology, adenoids are lymphoid tissue (amygdala) in the bend of the nasopharynx. The amygdala can hypertrophy, increasing in size - doctors call this process adenoid growth or simply adenoids.
Three degrees of such growths have been established:
- I - the nasopharynx is closed on the ⅓ part by the adenoids;
- II - nasopharynx closed in parts;
- III - nasopharynx blocked completely.
Children from one to fifteen years of age are susceptible to this disease. The main symptoms of the disease are two: a violation of nasal breathing and hearing impairment. They also have the following symptoms:
- runny nose with profuse discharge;
- restless sleep with mouth open, snoring;
- the so-called face adenoid type - constantly open mouth, slightly drooping lower jaw, upper incisors come forward;
- irritability, tearfulness, change of mood;
- closed nasal.
Causes of adenoids
Hypertrophy of adenoid tissue can be provoked by such factors:
- inflammation of the upper respiratory tract;
- heredity: if the parents had adenoids, the child will also face this problem;
- viral respiratory infections;
- constant overeating, plenty of sweet food;
- weak immunity, susceptibility to allergies;
- ecology, polluted air;
- too warm and dry air in the room where the child lives, a lot of dust.
Possible consequences of the disease
In short, the diagnosis of adenoids is a nuisance, and a rather serious one. If you hope that before 15 years everything will resolve itself, then you are largely mistaken. Adenoids must be treated, otherwise there may be serious complications, such as:
- inflammation of the middle ear;
- disorders of the gastrointestinal tract;
- bronchial asthma;
- dysplasia of facial bones;
And this list is inconclusive. If you care about the health of your child, you need to act immediately.
How to treat adenoids in a child: the main methods
First of all, parents need to pay attention to the prevention of the disease - this is food without excesses, physical education, general hardening of the body, as well as maintaining cleanliness in the room, the necessary humidity and air temperature. More often, take the children south to the sea to breathe clean sea air.
There are two methods of treating adenoiditis:
- conservative - medicamentous;
- surgery - surgery to remove the adenoids.
What method to apply, the doctor decides depending on the degree of the disease.
Surgical treatment of adenoids is not an emergency measure. The basis for the operation is a violation of nasal breathing with associated complications such as angina, otitis, chronic tonsillitis, etc.
Surgery to remove adenoids is contraindicated in such cases:
- during a bad epidemiological situation;
- if the child has recently suffered infectious diseases;
- in case of blood diseases;
- with skin diseases.
The operation itself is simple, lasts a few minutes, anesthesia is applied both local and general - it all depends on the age of the patient and his condition. The operation is performed with a special annular scalpel, which is introduced into the region of the nasopharynx where the amygdala is located.
Children recover after surgery rather quickly - in a period of up to two days. At this time, it is desirable that the child was inactive, not eating hot as well as solid food.
How to treat adenoids in children? Currently, therapeutic and physiotherapy treatments are used to reduce the size of the hypertrophied pharyngeal tonsil.
The therapeutic course of treatment includes:
- washing the nasopharynx with an aqueous solution of sea salt;
- antiseptic preparations - colloidal solution of protargol, colloidal silver;
- drugs that relieve swelling, for example, spray Derinat.
Physiotherapy procedures are laser treatments. After going through ten procedures, swelling is reduced, the mucous membrane is dried, and microbes disappear.
Folk remedies to help
For the treatment of adenoids can be used and folk remedies, just be sure to consult with your healthcare professional. Let's look at the most common methods.
Oak broth nose drops
- oak bark - 2 tbsp. l .;
- St. John's wort (grass) - 1 tbsp. l .;
- mint leaves (pepper) - 1 tbsp. l
Preparation and use:
- We mix all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a glass of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Insist one hour.
- It is necessary to drip into the nose at least twice a day.
Nose flushing agents:
- an aqueous solution of sea salt: in a glass of warm water to dissolve 3-5 g;
- decoctions of herbs - chamomile medicinal, sage, oak bark.
Rinse the nose of the child with such means should be 2 times a day, decoctions should be warm.
Dear parents, do not rush to surgical removal of the adenoids in a child. Firstly, it will cause the child psychological trauma, and secondly, it is impossible to remove the adenoids completely: some part of them still remains. And subsequently the pharyngeal tonsil can grow again. To prevent this, carry out prevention of the disease. Health to you and your children!