Almost every adult faces a cough, and children have this symptom with the slightest cold. Sometimes cough is dry and wet. And if dry passes after taking softening preparations, then how to treat a wet cough in a child? In fact, there may be several options.
How to treat a small "cough?"
How to treat a wet cough in a child? This is the first question of any parent. But before you panic and buy everything in the pharmacy that comes handy, any mother should show her child to the doctor. Only a pediatrician can prescribe adequate therapy based on the causes of this symptom. In addition, incorrectly selected medications can only exacerbate the problem of wet cough.
To let everything go to chance and not to react to a symptom at all is also impossible. First of all, treatment should be aimed at facilitating the discharge of sputum from the lungs and bronchi, which is especially viscous in young children. A large accumulation of mucus in the body is a good environment for the development of bacteria.
Usually pediatricians prescribe drugs directional:
- Mucolytics - means, diluting the sputum and promote its removal from the bronchi.
- A group of expectorant drugs that increase the amount of mucus.
- Removing bronchospasm medications. They affect the nerve receptors, thereby increasing the lumen in the bronchi.
In turn, each tool is presented in two versions: based on vegetable components and synthetic origin. The group of expectorant drugs of plant origin include:
- "Dr. Mom";
- phytosyrup "Stoptussin";
Such funds are prescribed most often for bronchitis, pneumonia or cold in the early stages of the disease. They are well contribute to the maintenance and strengthening of weak immunity and a positive effect on the respiratory system. However, vegetable cough syrups should be given to the child with extreme caution, since there is a high risk of an allergic reaction.
Drugs of synthetic origin are stronger sputum-reducing agents. These include:
In addition to conventional medicines, physiotherapeutic agents such as paraffin baths, warming, vibration massage, breathing exercises, and inhalations are actively used in the treatment and prevention of cough. In combination, all these procedures give a good result and help the child cope better and faster with the disease.
What were our ancestors treated for?
Cough, whatever it may be, is not a new symptom. Therefore, recipes of traditional medicine can be found a lot, but before using them all the same, it is advisable to consult with your doctor.
Especially popular in everyday life are infusions and decoctions of special chest charges. Such herbs are better to buy ready-made at the pharmacy. This gives an absolute certainty that the plants have been harvested, processed and dried properly. Usually the following herbs are a part of chest gatherings:
- plantain leaves;
- wild rosemary;
- pine buds;
All plants are brewed and insisted according to the instructions on the package and in the doses recommended by the doctor.
What else can be treated wet cough in a child? Try these folk ways:
- Badger, fish, sheep or goose fat is perfect for rubbing and massaging the chest and back in newborns. Children over the age of three can eat a dessert spoonful of fat, dissolved in milk with honey, 2-3 times a day.
- Try making homemade onion cough syrup. For this, a small onion is boiled or infused in finely chopped form in milk. Then the liquid is filtered and drunk before bedtime.
- Black radish juice is also extremely effective in eliminating cough. To the child happily ate the medicine, it can be diluted with grated viburnum berries and sugar.
- Wet cold cough is well treated with medicine consisting of 1 cup of milk, a teaspoon of butter and a pinch of soda. All ingredients are added to boiled milk and thoroughly stirred.
- Everyone's favorite and well-known tool is to breathe over a decoction of potatoes. Such home inhalations help warm the inflamed bronchi and dilute the accumulation of sputum.
- At bedtime, it is best for your child to steam up their feet in a basin of warm water, mustard and essential oils. After such a procedure, it is advisable to wear warm wool socks on your feet.
- The easiest and most effective way to calm down a raging cough is to make a child a compress on the chest. Prepare it from various ingredients, and the most popular of them is diluted vinegar or alcohol.
In general, you can find quite a few grandmothers' home methods; you only need to remember what your mother treated you as a child. However, you should not turn away from traditional medicine even with a huge arsenal of popular recipes. It is best to find a solution to the problem in complex treatment.
General pediatrician advice and recommendations
When treating wet cough, you should pay attention not only to the choice of drugs and traditional medicine, but also to the mode of the day of the little patient. The best thing about how to properly treat cough in children, says doctor Komarovsky. His video can be found in free access on the Internet, but in general, the recommendations are as follows:
- When a child is sick, parents should carefully monitor the hygiene of the room. Carry out regular wet cleaning, always ventilate the room and remove all smelling objects and flowers from the room.
- The air in the room should be sufficiently humid. To do this, it is advisable to install special humidifiers in the apartment or hang wet towels in the room.
- Drinking plenty of water helps soothe irritated throat and liquefies mucus. Any warm non-carbonated drink will suit: tea with raspberries, lemon or milk with honey and butter.
- If the child feels well, do not limit him to walking in the fresh air. Just make sure that the baby is not too much active.
If you really want to help your child get rid of cough, come to a comprehensive solution to the problem. Take a medical examination with your child, get medications prescribed by a doctor at a pharmacy and, of course, you shouldn’t overlook folk remedies.