The lactation period is the time of anxiety and maximum caution for each of the women. What to eat so as not to harm the child? How to dress so as not to get sick? How to treat colds when breastfeeding? These questions are the most pressing for a young mother, as each wants to protect her baby.
After childbirth, a woman’s body is greatly weakened and prone to colds and viral diseases. This is not the worst diseases, and they are quite amenable to treatment. However, in the period of lactation the usual ways to get rid of them will not succeed: it can harm the child.
Medicines for nursing
Things to treat colds when breastfeeding is not prohibited, can be counted on the fingers. These are drugs that are either not excreted through the mammary glands, or are based on plant extracts and are not dangerous for the child - of course, if the dosage does not exceed the permissible norms.
Permitted drugs include:
- Paracetamol, Grippferon and Viferon (anti-inflammatory and antipyretic agents);
- Gedelix, Lasolvan (expectorant drugs);
- Geksoral and Iodinol - tablets and solutions of the same name (for sore throat);
- Chlorhexidine (for rinsing).
These are well-known medicines that can be used if the cold during breastfeeding has manifested itself in the mother. At the time of taking the drugs, you must take into account the time of the maximum blood concentration of each of them and avoid feeding during these hours. This item is necessarily marked in the annotation, so make the necessary calculations is not difficult.
Traditional treatments for freshly baked moms
Some women in the period of lactation prefer to do without medication, rightly believing that this would be better both for the child and for themselves. In fact, traditional methods can be very effective in eliminating catarrhal and inflammatory processes. In addition, sometimes it is the only possible treatment in this case.
- To reduce fever, nursing mom needs a lot of warm drinking. The liquid not only provokes sweating, but also removes the bacteria from the body.
- To normalize the temperature will help potatoes and apple cider vinegar. To do this, two raw tubers are rubbed on a fine grater and mashed puree with 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar. The linen cloth is folded into 3-4 layers, the mixture is spread on it, covered with a piece of cloth and applied to the forehead. If necessary, the compress is changed to a new one.
- Sore throat and colds when feeding an infant easily stop with soda solution. For this, 1 tsp. the powder is stirred in a glass of warm water and gargle every 1.5-2 hours. In an alkaline environment, bacteria die, and the sore throat subsides after a couple of procedures. In addition, as inflammation in the throat decreases, body temperature caused by angina also normalizes. You can also gargle with a decoction of sage and chamomile.
- Runny nose and nasal congestion are eliminated with a weak saline solution. Liquid with a syringe without a needle is washed nasal passages. The procedure promotes the secretion of mucus and the destruction of pathogenic bacteria.
Among the medicines and folk remedies, there are strictly contraindicated nursing women. It:
- aspirin, as it is very poorly tolerated by children and can cause death;
- honey and raspberries, which can cause the strongest allergic reactions in a child.
Children are always born with immunity to a huge number of infections. Usually this “charge” lasts for half a year, during which the child is unlikely to catch a cold. Even if his mother is sick, it does not mean that the baby picks up microbes through milk. Rather, on the contrary - breastfeeding will be a kind of vaccination for the child, when he receives antibodies produced by the parent's body. However, it is better to guard against inflammatory processes than to decide how to protect the child.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and clean your clothes after visiting the street and visiting public places.
- During lactation, it is better to avoid meetings with ill friends and even relatives.
- It is necessary to carry out wet cleaning more often in the whole house and to ventilate the rooms well, especially the nursery.
- For additional prophylaxis, you can lubricate your nasal passages with oxolinic ointment.
If you follow these simple methods of precaution, then any infection is likely to bypass the mother and the child.
How to behave during illness?
If you still could not be saved, and caught a cold during breastfeeding, treatment should begin immediately, but should not panic. There is no need to avoid contact with the baby, for fear of infecting him. It is possible (and even necessary) to hug and stroke, but you should refrain from kissing until better times. If the child is not yet three months old, it is better to use a bandage when dealing with him.
At elevated temperatures, it is necessary to provide for bed rest, if there is such an opportunity, or at least to postpone some household chores.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to insure against all unpleasant moments during breastfeeding. And it makes no sense to worry much about this. The baby will surely avoid the cold, and the mother will be on her feet in a short time, even if she gets sick. Now there are all possibilities for this.