"Mukaltin" is a herbal preparation created on the basis of an extract from althea, aimed at softening dry, frequent cough, and liquefaction and separation of sputum from the lungs. The manufacturer indicates that "Mukaltin" allows you to reduce the intensity of cough, easing the patient's condition, without causing adverse reactions. Due to the natural composition, it should have a mild effect and can be used even in pediatric therapy. How to take "Mukaltin" tablets correctly?
Contraindications to receive "Mukaltin"
Despite the fact that the drug is herbal, it cannot be called a safe pill used in any dosage and with any frequency. Therefore, before deciding how much "Mukaltin" to drink to get rid of cough, it is important to familiarize yourself with the indications and contraindications.
- The use of "Mukaltin" is prohibited in the presence of ulcerative lesions of the stomach, as well as inflammatory processes of the duodenum.
- The simultaneous use of the drug with the means on the basis of codeine is forbidden: such a tandem leads to clogging of the passages along which the sputum is separated. With any means of relieving cough, Mukaltin can be used in complex therapy.
- The drug does not produce side effects, however, mild dyspeptic disorders associated with an individual GI reaction to the components of the drug and skin manifestations of allergy are possible.
- If a spastic cough appears before taking Mukaltin, it is necessary to carry out therapy with antispasmodics.
How to take "Mukaltin" adults?
The dosage of the drug in adults in most cases depends on the severity of the condition and sensitivity of the body. The frequency of treatment and the duration of the course of treatment are also calculated on the basis of these factors.
- The official instructions to the "Mukaltin" allows adults to use up to 2 tablets per dose, and up to 4 doses of the drug can be performed per day. Those. in total, no more than 8 tablets are allowed per day, and the maximum dosage for severe conditions is 10 tablets.
- The main schedule - 1 tablet 4 times a day.
- It is undesirable for an organism with hypersensitivity to take more than 1 tablet at a time, but the frequency of administration is 3 times a day.
- Tablets "Mukaltina" focused on sublingual technique: they are placed under the tongue, and then slowly dissolve and within 30-40 minutes. Do not take liquid or food by mouth.
There are also frequent cases of taking "Mukaltin" in adults, but immediately it is worth emphasizing that they are not focused on long-term therapy.
- In acute bronchitis, it is recommended to use 4 tablets of the drug up to 5 times a day, after 1-1.5 hours after a meal.
- Chronic lung diseases require the use of 4 tablets diluted in 100 ml of warm water. The liquid is drunk 1 hour before meals, 2-3 times a day.
The duration of treatment with Mukaltin in adults varies from 14 to 45 days.
What dosage of "Mukaltina" is shown to children?
With the use of the drug, children usually have the most difficulty: first, the dosage calculation, which is not always optimal for an adult, and even in pediatric therapy, the level of caution should be higher; secondly, if the syrup can be poured in and made the child swallow, then everything is not so easy with a pill. What features of Mukaltin treatment in children need to be remembered and adhered to? And at what age is it allowed to give medicine to babies?
- The official instruction allows the use of "Mukaltin" in children under 12 years old, however, no other threshold values are indicated, as a result of which there is no clear delimitation of dosage by younger age. The use of the drug in pregnant and lactating women is not prohibited, as a result, it is possible to conduct therapy even in newborns, but with them it is necessary to observe utmost caution.
Most often, doctors distinguish the dosage of "Mukaltin" for children as follows:
- Children from 1 g to 3 years. They are prescribed no more than 1 tablet, with a frequency of up to 3 times per day.
- Children older than 3 years, but under 12 years old are allowed to drink the same 1 tablet, but with a frequency of up to 4 times a day.
What to do with younger children? With newborns and babies up to a year? This question was repeatedly asked by the doctors, as a result of which they also managed to deduce the features of dosage in infants.
- Children up to a year "Mukaltin" is prescribed at a dosage of 1/2 tablet or less. The periodicity depends on the condition of the baby: the acute stages (1-2 days of strong cough) imply taking up to 3 times a day, after - it is desirable to translate 1-2 times a day.
- The dosage of "Mukaltin" should be calculated for babies by weight of the child: insufficient body weight allows using only 1/4 of the tablets, with normal and excess taking 1/2 of the tablets.
- Individual dosage prescribed by the attending physician.
- Primary intake in children under 1 year is desirable to carry out through a reduced dose in order to check the drug for compatibility with the body. In the absence of adverse reactions for 8-10 hours after taking, you can repeat the procedure.
How to give "Mukaltin" child?
Taking into account the fact that it is almost impossible to give a baby a pill, experts remind that Mukaltin should be converted into a liquid form.
- Children up to one year old tablet break in half or 4 parts, after which the required amount is immersed in 60 ml of warm boiled water and stirred until the drug is completely dissolved.
- Children from the year the same broken tablet dissolved in 30 ml of warm boiled water.
- If a child refuses to take medicine (Mukaltin has a weak bitterness that not every child will like it), you can add some honey to the water (1 / 4-1 / 2 tsp).
- To the drug is completely dissolved in water, the tablet can be crushed into powder. But it is forbidden to raise the temperature of the water for the same purpose, because it will kill the bulk of the drug's nutrients.
What should be the schedule for taking "Mukaltina"? It is no different from what is recommended for adults.
- The tablet should be drunk before a meal, for 45-60 minutes. If taken after meals, then after 1.5-2 hours, when the stomach is not clogged.
- At night, "Mukaltin" is better not to use, because it strengthens the separation of sputum, which contributes to the urge to cough up the raised mucus. For an adult, this will disturb sleep, and the baby, who does not yet fully understand his feelings, may experience breathing difficulties.
As for the duration of Mukaltin treatment in children, it varies depending on the disease.
- The classic dry cough, as well as pulmonary inflammation and emphysema, require 7–10 days of direct administration, after which you can give Mukaltin to the child once a day for 3-4 days to eliminate residual effects.
- Tracheitis and tracheobronchitis may require 14–20 days of treatment.
The effectiveness of treatment depends on the correct diagnosis and determination of the dosage of the drug. In addition, the primary results are often observed only for 2-3 days: "Mukaltin" is not a means of immediate response, due to its composition. As a result, in order to understand whether he is acting, it is necessary to complete a short course in 5-7 days.