General malaise of the body, a state where you seem to be turned inside out - almost every one of us has experienced such symptoms of poisoning. But few know that in these cases small black tablets act as a loyal assistant. Let's figure out how to take activated carbon in case of poisoning.
Why is activated carbon?
Everyone knows the black pills - you can’t confuse them with anything. And this drug is called activated carbon. He gained his popularity long ago, and today he is the first friend and helper in the first-aid kit. Activated carbon is called a sorbent because of its ability as a sponge to capture all harmful unwanted substances so that they are not absorbed into the blood and poison the body.
Probably everyone, considering the black pill, noticed its porous structure. This is explained by the fact that for the manufacture of the drug using environmentally friendly organic materials containing coal and peat. These substances are heated at high temperatures up to 1000 degrees so that the air does not get in, and they are treated with various chemical processes. And as a result - a substance consisting almost entirely of carbon and having a porous structure. It is these small pores that increase the contact surface, respectively, the absorption of the drug by the body is more qualitative. Hence, in the name of the drug, the word is activated.
Coal should be in everyone's first-aid kit, it is simply indispensable for travel. This tool is able to save the body from food poisoning and intoxication with various drugs. But do not forget that this is primarily a medicine, which means that we must know and follow the rules for its administration, dosage, take into account contraindications and, of course, side effects.
Let's see if this medicine is safe and how to take activated charcoal with diarrhea, poisoning and flatulence.
How to take activated carbon in case of poisoning?
To black tablets or powder helped to remove harmful substances from the body, there are specially calculated dosages for many situations. Here are some guidelines for taking activated carbon in case of poisoning for adults:
- When the poisoning is accompanied by vomiting (that is, the body's fight against toxins has already begun), first of all we wash the stomach.
- For this procedure, it is necessary to add pills crushed into powder into water: one tablespoon of crushed medicine accounts for a liter of water. Remember that it is allowed to use no more than 30 g of the drug.
- Wash the stomach at least 3-4 times, as they say, "to clean water." In this case, there is no need to fear an overdose; on the contrary, it is worse when the dose of coal is low, since it allows toxic substances to be absorbed into the blood.
- After washing the stomach and cessation of vomiting, it is necessary to take 2 g of activated charcoal dissolved in a small volume of water to cleanse the intestines.
- Restoring the body, take the drug for three to seven days, 1-2 g four times a day.
When treating colic and gas in children with activated carbon, it is important to correctly determine the dosage. It is calculated as follows:
- 1 tablet is taken for 5 kilograms of body weight;
- up to a year children are given 1-2 tablets per day, only they need to be crushed and mixed with some water;
- from one to three years - 2-4 tablets per day;
- from three to six years - 4-6 tablets per day.
Very convenient to use coal powder. The weight of the child in kilograms is multiplied by 0.05 and we get the daily dose. In pregnancy, the use of activated carbon is allowed, but only after consulting with the attending doctor.
Features of the drug in case of flatulence and diarrhea
It should be noted that coal has a beneficial effect in the treatment of flatulence, severe forms of diarrhea (diarrhea). To begin with, let's define what flatulence is. This increased flatulence in the intestines, accompanied by abdominal distention, abdominal discomfort and belching.
Many believe that it is enough to take one tablet of coal per ten kilograms of body weight, and relief is guaranteed. But not everything is so simple. Many questions arise: "How to take activated charcoal: before meals or after?", "How many days can a course of treatment be given?" etc.
Here are a few rules that we adopt:
- with flatulence and diarrhea, it is recommended to drink 1 g of coal 4 times a day one hour before or after meals;
- the course of treatment is from 3 to 7 days;
- in order to improve the absorbing properties of the tablet, it is necessary to crumble and pour water at room temperature.
Contraindications and side effects
It is important to know that, despite the seemingly harmless activated carbon, this drug is a complete drug, which, if thoughtlessly used, can harm the body. There are the following contraindications to its use:
- propensity for bleeding of the digestive tract;
- the presence of gastric ulcers;
- individual drug intolerance.
Coal absorbs as a sponge not only harmful substances, but also useful. Therefore, taking the drug with other medications should be with caution. Activated carbon in the complex therapy is taken with a shift in time in relation to other drugs: two hours before taking the rest of the drugs or one hour after.
Long-term use of this medication can lead to constipation. In addition, do not forget that the effect of activated carbon is based on the removal of pathogens from the intestine. However, useful substances can also be removed, so you should not drink coal constantly and uncontrollably. This is a quick help tool.
Having understood how and when activated carbon is taken, we will always be able to help ourselves and our relatives in poisoning, diarrhea and meteorism, even at home. Take care of yourself!