Many people experienced a condition when coughing led to discomfort from the point of view of not only health, but also any public or personal aspects of life, for example, being in the reading room of the library or on the presidium at a meeting. That is why knowledge of how to remove the coughing fit will be useful to everyone.
What causes coughing episodes?
External irritation of the tips of nerve fibers that are located in the pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, nose, that is, throughout the respiratory tract, leads to a strong exhalation, called cough. The nature of this process in the human body predetermined the role associated with the purification, rejection, removal of foreign substances and the fight against the occurrence of obstacles in the paths of air intake.
Cough is described by such basic characteristics as:
- force - cough, paroxysmal cough;
- duration - chronic, prolonged, sub-acute, acute;
- time of occurrence or exacerbation.
In the fight against cough and its attacks, such a parameter as sputum secretion matters. You can talk about a productive "wet" cough in cases appropriate to the circumstances listed below:
- Colds. The mucus flowing down the back of the throat initiates a cough.
- Infections of the upper and lower respiratory tract, including pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, tuberculosis.
- Pulmonary diseases that have passed into the chronic stage.
- Gastroesophageal reflux - throwing the contents of the stomach into the esophagus.
- Tobacco smoking.
Dry cough that does not divert sputum is called unproductive. Below are some of its causes:
- Diseases of viral etiology. After a cold, a dry cough, unlike other signs, can be observed for several more weeks and often worsen at night.
- Bronchospasm. An unproductive cough, especially at night, can signal a spasm in the bronchi.
- Allergy. Coughing and sneezing are common symptoms of this pathology.
- Taking certain medications, such as high blood pressure control drugs.
- Exposure to vapors, dust and chemicals.
- A chronic cough can be a manifestation of asthma, especially if it is accompanied by difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, and a feeling of tight chest.
- Foreign objects in the respiratory tract.
How to remove a coughing fit?
To remove the wave of cough that has swept over, there are many drugs of various actions, as well as folk methods. But they must be preceded by an accurate understanding of the reasons for such a condition.
Cough is a functional defense mechanism of the body that carries the cleansing of the respiratory tract, so the priority will not be its complete cessation, but a decrease in intensity and strength. Cough depression is necessary with a negative impact on health, for example, if symptoms such as choking, vomiting appear.
How to remove the coughing fit that caught an adult at the most inopportune moment? To do this, you should relax, change the position of the body, drink a glass of warm milk and dissolve the cough drops or eat a spoonful of honey. If cough is associated with bronchial asthma, you need to take medication prescribed by a doctor.
An attack of dry cough will also help to remove the candies. When they are resorbed, saliva is liberated, and when swallowed, cough is suppressed. If you experience coughing during a night's rest, use a higher pillow. Also, in order to alleviate the condition, the following means are used:
- extracts from vegetable base;
- lozenges for sucking;
- drugs that have a combined effect - softening, enveloping, antiseptic, anesthetic.
How to remove a coughing fit in a child is a rather frequent headache for parents. First of all, doctors advise to humidify the air in the room and not to allow a high temperature rise in the room. Excessive drinking can liquefy the thick sputum is not worse than mucolytic agents, thereby contributing to its removal. However, do not use carbonated beverages that irritate the mucous membrane.
If the child has snot, then they can flow down the back of the throat and cause coughing. To avoid this, you must rinse the nose with saline. If you have bouts of dry lobar cough in a child, you can spend about 20 minutes in the bathroom with hot water turned on to remove them. Steam can make breathing easier. But the use of drugs, especially blocking the cough reflex, must be coordinated without fail with a children's doctor.
When is a doctor required?
Cough is a common reflex. It is necessary to consult a doctor if he is characterized by such signs as:
- protracted nature;
- temperature rise;
- asthma attacks;
- feeling weak and losing weight;
- sputum is thick and contains inclusions of blood, pus, has a yellow or green tint;
- chest pain.
Summing up, it should again be recalled that a cough may occur for various reasons. Thoughtless use of drugs without an accurate diagnosis and prescription by a doctor can only worsen the situation. The presence of a positive experience with the use of the drug in the treatment of any disease previously does not give any guarantee of a cure from self-use of the same drug again due to the possible mismatch of the diagnosis. It should also be remembered that as part of a variety of antitussive drugs there are substances whose action on the body will be negative and leading to complications of a different nature. Take care of yourself!