Adenoids, adenoid growths or vegetation - this is the name of the same problem, which occupies a leading place in pediatrics and ENT practice. For babies with such a diagnosis, a constant nasal congestion is characteristic, they often suffer from colds. When making a diagnosis - adenoid vegetations, do parents usually care about one question or not?
Why do we need adenoids?
Adenoids are represented by the nasopharyngeal tonsil, a part of the child’s immune system, which takes on all pathogens. Strictly scanning all the bacteria that the baby has inhaled, the amygdala divides them into classes, you can skip it - safe, or the enemy you want to destroy. It is during the destruction of pathogenic microbes that the amygdala increases in size, creating inflammation.
It produces lymphocytes - special cells that can neutralize dangerous microorganisms. If the disease passes quickly, then the tonsils simply do not have time to quickly return to their normal size, it turns out that they are constantly enlarged.
This condition gradually provokes adenoid growth. In some cases, they are so large that the child cannot fully breathe through his nose, problems with hearing are formed. In this case, if you do not start treating the crumb in time, problems with bite, speech, blood composition and many more may begin. other
Such consequences threaten only babies, they are not typical for teenagers. Since in older age, adenoid tissue is reduced to a small size and does not bring any inconvenience.
The disease itself is slow, and the parents have the impression that this is not one disease, but a series of constantly recurring colds. It is impossible to make a diagnosis on your own, because the tonsils are not visible to the naked eye. Only an ENT doctor can see them, with the help of special devices.
How to remove adenoids in children?
- Parents should remember that the presence of adenoid growths in a child can cause serious problems. This is a common, in fact, pathological pain. Such a factor usually inclines parents and doctors to a radical method of solving the problem - removal of an adenoid or adenotomy. Speaking about the removal of adenoids, it is not about the complete excision of the tonsil, but only a part of the tissue that is increased in size.
- Adenotomy is considered to be the most common operation in the practice of ENT. The operation itself is known for a long time and practically did not change, only the toolkit was updated, which has become the most perfect. It should be noted that the results of adenotomy slightly worsened compared with the past, this is due to the high prevalence of allergic reactions.
How to remove the adenoids: the principle of step by step
Even if an operation to remove the adenoids is prescribed, it is important to follow the step-by-step treatment principle. Every parent should know that such intervention is not urgent, it can always be postponed for some time, which can be used with benefit. For example, try to achieve results using gentle techniques. It is necessary to begin the operation only after conservative treatment has not yielded any results. Almost all doctors agree that it is highly undesirable to remove the tonsils to children in the age group up to 5 years.
In the treatment regimen of adenoid growths, doctors often adhere to the most ancient principle "word - plant - knife." The basis of the treatment of children with adenoids is resort and phytotherapy. Do not deprive attention and homeopathic medicine. In treatment it is necessary to adhere to an individual approach to each particular child.
Initially, you should try rinsing the nose. Sometimes all is enough for only a few procedures. For washing, you can use medicinal herbs: St. John's wort, coltsfoot, chamomile, string, wormwood, and more. etc. When choosing a washing solution, you should consult a doctor. If the child does not have allergies and susceptibility to it, you can use medicinal fees for washing the nose.
It is worth remembering that without conservative treatment can not do even after surgery. After all, after surgery, the mucous membrane can restore its protective function only after a couple of months.
Surgery to remove the adenoids
- The operation can be carried out both in a hospital and clinic (on an outpatient basis). It is best to conduct it in the hospital, because there is always a risk of bleeding from the wound surface after removal.
- Most recently, an operation to remove the adenoids was carried out without anesthesia, since there are no nerve endings in the tonsil tissues and the patient does not feel pain. But today, adenotomy is done only with anesthesia, in some cases even under general anesthesia, in order to reduce the risk of psychological trauma or blood in the respiratory tract.
- To date, the most common method of surgical intervention is the endoscopic method; laser removal and freezing are also used. During the endoscopic procedure, the doctor sees the tissue that needs to be removed and can control the process. The procedure itself is carried out quickly and takes a short amount of time - 10 - 20 minutes.
- After removing adenoids in a child, the postoperative period begins. Since the procedure is less traumatic, complications are rarely recorded. After the operation for a couple of days, the baby may have a slightly increased body temperature. During the week the child usually has a stuffy nose, which can be explained by soft tissue swelling. In the postoperative period, the baby must be prescribed vasoconstrictor drugs in the nose and solutions that have an astringent effect.
- The child is assigned a special diet. Food should be of medium temperature, with the exception of spicy, salty and sweet. Food should be liquid and semi-liquid, so that would not additionally injure the damaged mucosa.
The fear of surgery to remove the adenoids is unfounded. Modern methods and approaches to treatment can minimize all complications and negative consequences. Of course, the issue of surgery can still be called controversial. The final decision rests with the doctor, who should explain to the parents the consequences of this type of treatment, propose possible alternatives.